Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2005, 05:03 AM   #1
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
specific to 2001 3280RL

I have been checking with the general MOC population about the shower enclosure in other discussions. I need to ask anyone with the 2001 year model 3280RL to check the top of your glass sidewalls (either side of the glass door) to see if there are small screws holding the sidewalls to the metal wall channel or if you can slide the glass parts in and out of the channel about 1/2" at the top.

Steve Reigle informs me his newer unit has the screws but suggested I check with 2001 owners.

Seems like a simple thing, whether to add the screws or not but I want to make sure I don't do something that puts extra stress on the glass during travel. Right now my door hangs when the hinge end slips out at the top of the wall channel.

drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:46 AM   #2
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I do have this model and year Montana.i have to work tommorow but I will be up at the storage place on Sunday.i will check it out for you.Hope thats not to late for you???
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:58 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Not sure if we are talking about the same problem or not.

We had a problem with our shower door dragging from day one. Four different Montana dealers nor the Montana plant were ever able to correct the problem. Montana even went to the extent of replacing the entire enclosure without out correcting the problem.
I finally tired of others failures and decided to take on the problem on my own.
First of all I removed the Original self taping screw (see picture) from the metal wall channel the enclosure sets in. I than drilled a hole thru the enclosure and the wall channel stopping as soon as I was thru the channel. I than screwed in a 3 inch drywall screw (see Added 3" DW Screw). At this point I replaced the Original Self-taping Screw and the door has not dragged since and it has been at least 4 weeks.

Hopefully this will solve your problem as well.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 02:56 AM   #4
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
That is the same area that I am talking about. Thanks for the picture. I keep forgetting that in this digital age it is simple to get a picture. Mine does not have any screws where your original screw is located. It appears your channel was moving from the wall so the 3" screw fixed that. Mine might need that 3" screw also to keep it tight at the top and then I can put a screw in the "original screw" location. Now that you have the channel secure to the wall, if you start having more problems with door drag you might remove the original screw and see if the glass will go into the channel a little deeper and relocate the inner screw hole. A 1/4" makes a big difference on the door drag problem. Thanks Glenn.

harleyrider; Thanks for checking when you have time. I won't get to the repair for a week or so and all help is appreciated. It appears Glenn has the screw in question but his channel was loose at the wall and caused a similar problem. Looks like he may have fixed it for good with the longer screwholding the channel to the wall.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote