Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Voyager Wireless Rear View Camera Review

We had the chance to use the new Voyager wireless rear view camera system on our trip to and from Charleston, SC. There were a few minor glitches as mentioned previously. There is still some sort of interference from underpasses and overpasses that results in a quick loss of signal. It quickly returns, but is still a problem. I have also noticed that the picture clarity is not as sharp as our wired system was. We had multitudes of problems with our wired system as well that I think was primarily due to the heavy connector we used and the weight on the connections. All in all, I like not having to mess with cabled connections, so I guess I prefer the new wireless system, but there are shortfalls that are evident when comparing to a wired system.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
What does camera use for antenna?
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

KOLCB

The antenna is a nice looking round object on the front cap. It is white on ours and most people don’t notice it.

Bingo

Ours didn’t work from the time we picked the trailer up. The selling dealer worked on it several times and finally made the same statement he made about the waste tank level indicators “none of them work any way and we can’t fix it”.

When I figured out the dealer didn’t know anything about repairing RV’s and Keystone didn’t ever finish building this one I started looking at several things that “never work anyway” one of them the backup camera.

In the front closet was a cove fasten to the wall up high about where the antennas is mounted. Everything looked good in there. I found in the back of the trailer another cover in the cabinets over the TV. I removed this cover and guess what.

! The video wire was never hooked up to the camera.!

Just like the waist tank indicators the backup camera has worked flawlessly ever since.

Imagine that LOL

We haven’t operated it while driving but the one time we did we didn’t notice any interference in service.

You have to remember we don’t have a crowed in the TV when we are towing. Just my wife and the dog.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Bingo,
Thanks for the input. Now, there is something else to ponder.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:03 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
For clarification regarding the antenna on this new Voyager system, the camera has an antenna directly on it and the monitor has an antenna directly on it. There is no wiring other than the wiring at the rear cap that ties into the running lights for the power feed and the wiring for the monitor to the cigarette lighter where the monitor receives it's power. The running lights must be on for the system to work. Here is a link to the new system:

Voyager Wireless Rear-View Camera System

A better price can be found.

Bingo
Old 12-02-2013, 04:31 AM   #6
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
My best guess on the loss of signal on underpasses is the signal is reflected of the steel in the bridge
Old 12-02-2013, 04:41 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by K0LCB

My best guess on the loss of signal on underpasses is the signal is reflected of the steel in the bridge
That I can understand, what baffles me is the occasional loss of signal while traveling over the underpasses?

Bingo
Old 12-02-2013, 05:36 AM   #8
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Probably the same thing, lots of steel. UHF signals are easily disturbed
Old 12-02-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Thanks Bingo. Now I can make an informed decision.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Hate to be a killjoy. But I tried that wireless system. Sent it back, because the picture quality issues and cutting out. For less than three hundred dollars, and two hours time, I bought reviewsafety system. It works great, in every situation. Only place I drilled hole was in the front of Montana, for umbilical cord. Very happy nearly two years. Placed camera on ladder in back. Nothing beats hard wiring, IMHO!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I had the hard-wired Voyager system previously. As I reported the picture quality on the wireless system is degraded, but still serves it's purpose. I can honestly say that I had more problems with our wired system (and hated having to struggle to make the connections) than I have had to date with the wired system. I agree that the wired system had better picture quality, but I can honestly say that I am satisfied with the transition to date.
Bingo
Old 12-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
I sbought one at Camping World and They installed it for 29.00 labor. It works perfectly.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote