Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2004, 03:51 PM   #1
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Tire Pressure

Okay, recent topic here has me curious.

If PSI says 80 cold, then do you personally ever go a little under???

I think I did mine last trip at 75, but I need recommendations if that's good or bad.

Thanks

Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 04:08 PM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Sue,

Everyone does it different. I try to stay close to recommendations of the Tire and Rim Assoc and put pressure in my tires in accordance with actual measured weight per tire. The tables are in the RV Handbook by Estes that you can get at Camper World or other RV supply house.

The advantage is longer tire wear.

Other campers have set pressures they use and that's ok as long as the pressure is at least enough to support the weight in accordance with the above tables.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 05:17 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Sue,
I just read an article about this somewhere maybe Trailer Life or Good Sam. We had several blowouts on our old unit so was interested. (It cracked the little fenders over the tires) We found out then we did not have enough "ply" on our tires. I think 4 or 5 is tops and the best. But also when tires are old even if they still have tread and look great, the sides are weak. This is truer (is that a word)if weather is a factor. So even here in sunny Calfornia it is a problem because of smog. Anyway if the tires do not have enough PSI then they crunch up a little and if the sides are weak, they will blow. That is why, according to this article, you should always use the total recommended (by tire company) PSI. Now I'm sure we are going to get a lot of posts by the guys because this is 2 women talking about tires!
Sue (also)
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 03:07 AM   #4
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead
Now I'm sure we are going to get a lot of posts by the guys because this is 2 women talking about tires!
Sue (also)
Sue,
Your last name is Rowe? Mine is Roe!!

Don't tell me you live in Rochester Hills somewhere!
Old 09-18-2004, 06:20 AM   #5
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I run mine at 80 psi so the tires can carry their max capacity. Weighing Your trailer and inflating them to the required pressure is fine but I feel that my trailer is loaded differently for each trip and there can be too much change in the trailer weight. If You weigh the trailer packed for a weekend that's one thing. Then pack for a 3 week trip and fill the water tank. You might be overloading the tires for the pressure that You have in them.

I prefer to keep them at 80 and be safer. The sidewalls flex a little less this way and that's better for the tires, when they flex more they generate more heat.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 07:47 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Sue (Montana Sue)
This is unreal. People are always wanting to spell our name Roe. There are a lot of Sue Rowe's. I did a search on the web once and came up with a ton. We will have to meet someday. We live in Calif.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:11 PM   #7
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:

Sue (Montana Sue)
This is unreal. People are always wanting to spell our name Roe.
And vis versa, people are always spelling mine ROWE!!!

I even spell it everytime for them, and when they can't find it, guess how it's spelled.

Old 09-18-2004, 05:59 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Sue,
I just noticed you also have the same Montana as we do. I'm not a horse person though. But I do like animals. I was born on a farm and all our horses were BIG work horses. Do you tow the Monty with your GMC? That is what our new truck is going to be. See ya!
Old 09-19-2004, 02:10 AM   #9
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I keep the tire's at the Max 80 PSI and check prior to each trip including the spare's
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 03:51 AM   #10
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:

Sue,
I just noticed you also have the same Montana as we do. I'm not a horse person though. But I do like animals. I was born on a farm and all our horses were BIG work horses. Do you tow the Monty with your GMC? That is what our new truck is going to be. See ya!
Yes we do tow with the GMC.....NO PROBLEMS whatsoever.

I just replaced my 03 Ford with a 04 Dodge and we will pull the horses with the Dodge. I just didn't want two of the exact same trucks. Make sure you test drive all the trucks available. I don't like the comfort of my husbands compared to the Dodge. He agree's.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:48 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sue, the more air pressure the more weight each tire can support properly, up to the limits on the sidewall (both psi and weight). In theory, you should have at least the psi for the weight that tire will carry. If you know the weight on each tire and have the pressure chart that shows the proper inflation, then that will tell you the 'right' air pressure. But most of us don't know what that psi is, or even the weight on that tire, so just run the max psi. The max psi will ride harder but on the trailer I doubt it's that noticeable. And it's always the safe bet. We run ours at max. Hope this helps and doesn't just muddy the water.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote