Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Interesting Duramax Issue

My Duramax showed the check engine light this week. I had OnStar check the code and they said it was an emission related issue for the engine/transmission. So, before I could get into the dealership, the light went out. Then it came back on the next day. I let it sit for two days waiting to go to the dealership and - light went out again. It turns out that they modified the location of the port to the EGR. Driving in snow and the port gets plugged, setting off the check engine light. Turns out there is a half cover for the grill - but they don't include it if your vehicle is bought in Illinois. However, if I bought it in Wisconsin which is one mile from the dealership, it would have been included. You're supposed to have it on when temp is below 32 deg F. They have a modification they are doing, along with giving me the half grill cover. Given the global warming we're experiencing in Wisconsin this year, I'm sure I won't have that problem again.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
What year model on the Duramax???
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
DUH!!! I'd guess it's a 2008 !
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:01 AM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
That issue on the 2008's has been known for sometime. Thats the first I had heard of a fix, grill cover, etc. In my case it will be a freak of nature if I ever have that problem. Global warming is a joke. I don't believe it at all, just another way to take more money from the Tax payer. The check engine light is another issue that they are all doing to prevent some from doing damage to a expensive engine. Just have to many gadgets on the new Trucks. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:07 AM   #5
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Send some of that Global warming to Iowa as sure is not warm here today or the rest of the week.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
That global warming is taking place is not a question. It is a fact. The argument is what is causing it. The general consensus of those that have studied climate, many all their careers, is greenhouse gases. Healthy skepticism is the basis of the scientific method. There is no grand conspiracy except perhaps by those with ulterior reasons (money, place, power or privilege) to deny the evidence.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Yes, it is a 2008 Silverado. They ordered five parts for it and three were on backorder. It sounds like they reroute the port in addition to sheltering it with the half cover.

As far as global warming, they were farming in Greenland hundreds of years ago. Last year the earth's temperature cooled. This year, it is also starting cool. When they can predict the temperature and precipitation for tomorrow, then I'll lend creedance to the fact that they are smart enough to predict something much more complex than tomorrow's weather. And, many reputable scientists have denounced global warming. I don't pretend to be smart enough to determine the interaction of fluorocarbons, greenhouse gases, sunspot activity, etc. All I know is it's -6 deg F and dropping in Wisconsin.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MacDR50

That global warming is taking place is not a question. It is a fact. The argument is what is causing it. The general consensus of those that have studied climate, many all their careers, is greenhouse gases. Healthy skepticism is the basis of the scientific method. There is no grand conspiracy except perhaps by those with ulterior reasons (money, place, power or privilege) to deny the evidence.
You're pulling our legs right?? GW is not scientifically proven, in fact, temps have gone down for the last 10 years in a row. I wish someone would explain the Time magazine article with the global cooling article published in the early 70s...then the more recent article in the same magazine espousing global warming...
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote