Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Backup Dish

I currently have a roof mounted hdtv sat dome. As youknow when I am under trees I get no reception. I would like to purchase a portable dish to use in these instances. What would I need to do to get it operational? Do I unplug my sat line in back of receiver and plug in a line from the dish or what?????? Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Phil

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Phil,

We don't have the roof mounted system but I'd guess all you need to do is unplug the roof mounted unit and simply plug in your portable.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I would think that if the cable hook-up at the convenience center is still available???, that it could be used. Does the rooftop unit allow you to still use cable if desired?? Curiousity has been perked.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Hi Phil, Checkout CraigsList.com for the area you are in or will be in. Check under "Electronics" for installers for DirectTV or DishNetwork. They seem to have spare dishes and LNBFs they are looking to get rid of(maybe free). Just tell the installer what kind of Receiver you have and he will fix you up. I paid $50 for my dish. You'll need 50'-100' of RG-6 cable from the dish to your Monty. Camping World or Radio Shack have tripods for portable dishes. I use 3 - 1 Gal milk jugs to hold the tripod down in a breeze. Plug your cable into the back of your Receiver. (If you don't use the Sat/Cable input in your "convenience panel" you can carefully run the cable in through your open slide) You'll need a compass and a "satellite finder" for tuning in your dish.(also at CW & RS) It is a little tricky(if never done before) but with a little practice you'll lock in in no time. Just remember to have a clear shot to the south. Checkout RV Net: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm and go to Technology Corner for discussions on setting up a satellite dish etc.

Here are a couple of pictures of my dish MODs I did (stolen from "simonsrf" - Robbie Simons):
Highlighted the Elevation numbers & lines.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2hn9jdj&s=1
Highlighted the Skew numbers & lines.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4lz8xmp&s=1
I changed the nuts to knobs for easy adjustments.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4plsvva&s=1

If you have any other questions just ask.

Say hello to Cathy.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:56 PM   #5
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ahhh, sweet Don, do we call you "wing nut"? I have a Dual LNB and have drilled out the outside rivet to allow the dish to collapse for storage. Now I'm going to Home Depot to get myself a bunch of wing nuts! Thanks.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:06 PM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Don't forget to get the sleeves needed to offset the mounting screws for the screws on the vertical post.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Oh Oh! ! ! You caught me Robbie. But I did give you credit.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:22 PM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
You must have thought I just read and don't post.

Thanks for the credit, don't remember you seeing those...must have been at Lake Siskiyou....nice to be able to pass along a good idea.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:38 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, we broke down and hired the Direct TV Guy to hook up a dish and install a switch that we can go from dish to dome, dpending on the case. Using the dish now, works great, don't know if I will ever be able to tune it in myself at the next locale but can always call the Direct guys if need be. I did buy a satellite finder meter and the guy showed me how to use it. Shouldn't be to bad. We'll see

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote