Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2023, 12:31 PM   #1
posopete

M.O.C. #12451
Service Trailer Brake System

The DIC (Driver Information Center) on my 2009 Duramax is displaying "Service Trailer Brake System". No doubt "something" is amiss. What is the most common cause of the message?
Dealer wants too much to diagnose the message. Thanks, Russ

posopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 12:53 PM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by posopete View Post
The DIC (Driver Information Center) on my 2009 Duramax is displaying "Service Trailer Brake System". No doubt "something" is amiss. What is the most common cause of the message?
Dealer wants too much to diagnose the message. Thanks, Russ
Found this on Google.
What does the “service trailer brake system” message mean? The “Service Trailer Brake System” message informs you that the trailer brake system has disengaged due to wiring issues or some other problem. The brake system may be hampered if the trailer being towed doesn't have enough power.

I'd start by checking the wiring. Do the trailer brakes engage when manually applied by the controller?
Old 04-11-2023, 03:31 PM   #3
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
That message can mean a lot of things.
If you want to DIY it

First determine if truck or rv is causing the issue. Does the message only appear with the rv? Is the truck happy on other trailers with electric brakes?

If the truck is unhappy always (my guess); check the connections of the wiring harness that runs the length of the truck. I've had 2 trucks where the connector on the front side of the 7 wire plug (so the other side of the plug that you plug the trailer into) wasn't seated correctly and it caused this exact msg. Unplug, clean, plugin and all was happy again. If you have the rv plug inside the box you'll have a T in the wiring harness, go check that as well.

If the truck is only unhappy on the rv. Get out the multi meter and start testing. You'll have something amiss in the wiring on the rv. My guess would be a cut/direct short someplace obvious where the wiring loom got clipped by something.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote