Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2021, 07:44 PM   #1
awboatguy

M.O.C. #27847
Winegard 12VDC power cable looped under Winegard cable cap

Bought a 2021 Montana 3132 CK with a Winegard Air 360+ preinstalled on the roof. It is WiFi ready with the Winegard cable access cap inside the rig for “easy” install of the Winegard Gateway router. However, upon removing the cap the 12VDC cable is looped and does not have a bitter end to connect the router power wires to the Air 360+. Has anyone experienced this and did you simply cut the power cable and check for a hot side to hook to, or am I screwed and need to have the manufacture walk me through taking the Winegard cover off and rewire the system?

awboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:40 PM   #2
awboatguy

M.O.C. #27847
Never mind. After a long call with Winegard and tech support, it was a simple splice and cap situation that got me all set up. Running the Winegard 360+ and Connect WiFi now at full capacity on a Verizon SIM card. Hope this helps anyone in a similar spot.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:28 AM   #3
CaptainDave225
Established Member

M.O.C. #26917
Could you please post some pics, I was going to do the same with our 2021 HC 331RL
CaptainDave225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:23 AM   #4
awboatguy

M.O.C. #27847
CaptainDave,

I didn’t take any...rookie move, but all I did was splice into the red and white cable from under the WiFi cap and hook the router cable provide to it. Red to red and black to white. I did blow a 15 amp fuse, but with a quick change out it powered right up. Otherwise, this video, I know it’s Forest River, but it was very helpful, is a great resource as well.

https://youtu.be/YYhfu3qq22g

I’ll check back if need anything else.

DBG!
Old 01-15-2021, 05:33 PM   #5
CaptainDave225
Established Member

M.O.C. #26917
Thank you
Old 01-15-2021, 05:39 PM   #6
CaptainDave225
Established Member

M.O.C. #26917
DBG,
video was awesome!
Old 01-29-2021, 10:34 AM   #7
fuquatj
Established Member

M.O.C. #19619
A question on this subject just to make sure how this Winegard Gateway should work in my particular situation.....

We have a 2021 3871RL with Winegard 360+ factory installed. We are currently camping in Louisiana, we have Verizon phones Unlimited Data. Cell service is spotty in the area. We are able to hotspot our phones in order to use a laptop with slow and limited success. We have not attempted to use the hotspot to stream hulu ,netflix, etc...but I doubt that would work. The campground does not have wifi.

So...my question is this with regard to the Winegard Gateway: IF, I purchase and install the gateway, acquire a Verizon sim card for the device (which I assume comes at the cost of adding the device to our data plan), the device should acquire the signal from the nearest Verizon cell tower and boost the signal so that we can connect other devices (i.e laptop, tablet, smart tv, etc) to the gateway, and then we are up and running???

Am I correct in the way this should function, and has anyone had success doing this?

Thanks
fuquatj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:32 PM   #8
awboatguy

M.O.C. #27847
Fuquatj,

That is the premise. We used an existing SIM card we had in a Verizon Jetpack. It transferred right over and connected with an easy set up on the Winegard WiFi router app. Less that 10 minutes from sim insert to WiFi connect.
We do get a better signal from the tower here where we are now. But, I think that has more to do with the location of the antenna than from a boost of the signal.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:40 AM   #9
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Fuquatj,

The Winegard Gateway is simply a router that provides a wireless network in/around your rig. For internet connectivity it has 2 modes:

WiFi as WAN - this will let the router connect to a hotspot or CG wifi for internet connectivity (WAN)

Cellular modem - will connect to cellular tower for internet (with SIM card installed)

The way they have worded some marketing materials implies it "boosts" signals - not true. The 360+ antenna contains an onmidirectional tv antenna, cellular antennas and a wifi antenna. The outdoor antennas do boost signal to the router, but not to any devices. Devices need to connect to the router wifi (or LAN port) to benefit. The TV antenna function has no interaction with the router, simply contained in the same housing as the cell and wifi antennas.
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:19 PM   #10
Calgary376FL

M.O.C. #28021
Not sure if the Winegard router is worth the money?

Also some confusion with the Winegard Router installation, was not expecting a loop to the circuit, I removed the Zone 1 15amp fuse before cutting the looped wire under the cap. You will blow your fuse if you don't. Also, tie in the supplied Winegard On/Off switch; as this 12vdc wire is hot all the time without the switch. This is just me, but thinking this router was a total waste of money. Just hot spotting my PC to my phone, works just as well. It will not pull in park WiFi, only extends and boosts signal to your device once you are connected. Need a system to pull in camp WiF, not extend. Anyone have any suggestions?
Calgary376FL is offline   Reply With Quote