Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2020, 05:55 AM   #1
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Battery monitor wiring

I am looking at installing a battery monitor/usage meter. My control/fuse panel is located near the rear of my rig a good distance from the battery. I was wondering if the shunt needs to be at the battery or if I can install it where the cable comes into the fuse panel making it easier to run the wire to the meter readout.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:01 AM   #2
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
Shunt needs to be at the battery in order to measure the total battery current.
Butch & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:21 AM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Quote:
Shunt needs to be at the battery in order to measure the total battery current.
Yes, I will add from personal experience: The Renogy battery monitor came with inadequate length of wire from shunt to display. I had to purchase wiring from a different source to bring the monitor inside my trailer.

The point? The wiring to the display can be extended; the shunt needs to be kept close to the battery. Also, the wiring for the shunt requires heavy, thick wiring; the wiring to the monitor display is small wire--though I can testify that in my case it was made up of 5 very small wires which required delicate splicing.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:27 AM   #4
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Tks for quick replies. That is what I expected but wasn't sure.
Has anyone tried one of the wireless monitors available on Ebay? I'm a bit skeptical of them.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:09 PM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I have a Victron BMV-712 with Bluetooth. I can monitor my batteries and solar panel from the house 100' away on my phone.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:19 AM   #6
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
It does not matter which end of the battery negative you mount the shunt on. What does matter is that you do not have ANY other connections of loads and/or sources between the shunt and the battery terminal it is connected to. You may have to do some digging around to ensure there are no frame bonding wires between the shunt connection and the battery negative terminal.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:02 PM   #7
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
It does not matter which end of the battery negative you mount the shunt on. What does matter is that you do not have ANY other connections of loads and/or sources between the shunt and the battery terminal it is connected to. You may have to do some digging around to ensure there are no frame bonding wires between the shunt connection and the battery negative terminal.
Thanks, that makes complete sense.
I've ordered a monitor that is hard wired in. I will need to just figure out where to mount it. I would have preferred the switch panel area but that is located a good 25 or 30 feet from the battery with the bathroom and kitchen in between making wire routing very difficult with out dropping the coroplast. I'm not going solar or boondocking, I just want to know the condition of our battery if we overnight on the road or something. Also interested in knowing what our usual a/h usage is. I have a new 200 ah battery coming and don't want to shorten it's life by going below 50%. I may take the trouble to disconnect the neg bat cable at both ends and run a continuity check to ground. I suppose that would tell me if there is any connection in between.

Old 10-01-2020, 07:18 PM   #8
dallasrules
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26856
I also just got the victron 712. I can pull up the display on my phone in about 20 seconds. Plus it comes with a very long wire.
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:33 AM   #9
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
I ended up going with a somewhat less expensive monitor due to the fact that we don't have solar and don't boondock other than an occasional overnight at a rest area. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This one doesn't have blue tooth. I have not decided where to mount the readout. With the front L/R the control panel is located near the rear just outside the B/R so a long run with no good way to get there w/o dropping the underbelly. I may just put it in the battery compartment for now.
Got the 130lb. battery installed with the help of my portable engine lift. I installed the shunt right at the neg cut off switch to keep it close to the bat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200930_142813.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	7420