Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2004, 05:48 PM   #1
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Possible oil filter problems

RE: Oil changes and oil filters…there is a Service Bulletin issued by Dodge, Engine Group, SB #09-004-01, dated May 18, 2001. It pertains to 1989-2001 Ram 2500 and 3500 Dodge trucks using the Cummins 5.9L Diesel engine. It basically says that there are possible engine problems, up to and including engine failure, caused by Neoprene compounds used in manufacturing of oil filters not recommended by DaimlerChrysler. It further states damage caused by using unapproved oil filters “may” not be covered by warranty. I noted that Fram and other commonly used filters at places like Wal-Mart and Jiffy Lube are not among the listed filters. The “approved” filters are listed by specific Part #s, and include Mopar, Fleetwood Stratopore, Fleetwood Microglas, and specific Cellulose types by Fleetwood, Cummins, MotorCraft, Purolator or AC Delco. That is all of them, only eight…the list isn’t very long.

You might want to check with a Dodge dealer for the specific oil filter by brand and part number from this SB. I have purchased a few and have used them at Wal-Mart. They gave me a reduced price for providing my own filter. I did have to “whine” a bit about it. Still lots cheaper than having it done at a dealers.

I'm probably the only Dodge Diesel owner in the Western Hemisphere who didn't know about this...but, maybe I'll find one or two other folks who can benefit by my new-found "old" knowledge.

Best Regards,

PJ & Nan
3655FL
'99 Dodge Diesel 2500, BD auto trans, dialed, Pac brake.

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote