Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #1
hitdrd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18743
E-Bikes

Hi! We usually just drop the RV and use the truck but recently we have been wanting to bring our bikes. Being a bit older than we were we are thinking about E-Bikes. Under 1k that is.
Anyone use these , know someone who does or just have knowledge about them?
Begin discussion please!
Thanks

hitdrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:51 PM   #2
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Yes, we travel with e-bikes..
I have a NCM Moscow and my wife has a Pedego City Commuter.

Here is what I have found so far:
1) The bikes are heavy, some of them are in the range of 70# and up. This is a consideration when putting them up on the rack. It takes two people for my friend to get his up on the carrier. Remove the battery and you lose about 8-10# which you should do when traveling anyway.
2) Don't for get the charger when you take them.
3) You will have to cover them while traveling in the rain.
4) Get a GOOD lock.
5) They make any ride more enjoyable since we don't have to worry about getting too tired and then getting home.
6) You will ride more and for longer distances when you are camping as well as at home.
7) THEY ARE JUST PLAIN FUN!
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:11 PM   #3
hitdrd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18743
We r looking at folding ones b/c DH is worried about them being outside whole traveling
Old 01-08-2020, 03:12 PM   #4
hitdrd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18743
we r looking at folding ones b/c dh is concerned with them on the rack with all different weather
Old 01-08-2020, 03:18 PM   #5
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Been researching them for 6 months now and are on the serious list for this summer. So many choices, models, prices, and quality. But we will definitely get the foldable model, for convenience and storage in the basement or bed of the truck. So far, I am sold on the brand name Lectric. Under 1k. Free shipping.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:21 PM   #6
hitdrd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18743
We are leaning to RAD Power Mini, I know someone who has one and loves that model
Old 01-08-2020, 03:22 PM   #7
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
You should really ride a folding bike first. They are, compared to a bike with larger wheels, wobbly and unstable. I had folding bikes before and could not sell them fast enough. BTW the RAD mini is 67#. This is not something easily put in a storage compartment or the bed of the truck.

A good cover on the bikes while on the carrier and no problem.

electricbikereview.com is an excellent source of information and reviews.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:55 PM   #8
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
We carry two Radrover’s with us. Love the bikes, they not the folding type but radrover does offer a folding model. I don’t believe they have any offerings below the $1000 mark you noted however. On a side note I took great care in selecting a rack that was specifically rated for usage on a towed vehicle as well as significant investment in locks to make our 3k worth of bicycles harder to walk away then the ones I will park next too.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:59 PM   #9
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
You should really ride a folding bike first. They are, compared to a bike with larger wheels, wobbly and unstable. I had folding bikes before and could not sell them fast enough. BTW the RAD mini is 67#. This is not something easily put in a storage compartment or the bed of the truck.

A good cover on the bikes while on the carrier and no problem.

electricbikereview.com is an excellent source of information and reviews.
Good point, we need to ride a folding bike first. With our budget, I cannot find one with any kind of shock absorber suspension. But, I like the fat tires for off road and sand. Thanks PRNDL.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:26 PM   #10
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
At your price point you will not find anything with suspension. Front "shocks". maybe. The "Fat tire" bikes with the 4" tires are difficult to pedal without motor power. They also use more power due to the extra width compared to a plus size tire bike.
Try to stay with a gear type hub drive and avoid the motors with the big hubs and no gears. Typically on the front wheel but could also be on the rear. They have magnetic drag when not powered up and helping. They do have the ability to recharge while braking but that is really a non issue. Any bike that can go 30-40 miles on a charge will surely exceed the distance your rear end will endure.
I ride my NCM almost every day. It only has a 500Watt motor which is plenty as I need to put in the effort and not just use the throttle. I was initially going to get the RAD Rover, my friend did order one, his bike is 10 lbs heavier than mine and I feel more difficult to ride than mine. You will notice that there are several sellers of similar looking bikes on line. The frames pretty much come from one mfg in china and the sellers spec different attachments like shifters, brakes, front shocks. Compare NCM Moscow to the Magnum and the specs are identical as well as the frame.
Mid drives are nice but a broken chain means you will be walking all the way back home.

Explore, it took me and my friend three months to research and finally purchase.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:26 AM   #11
Brucelas
Established Member

M.O.C. #18901
We have these. https://lectricebikes.com/
They are not wobbly and unstable, a little heavy but fit perfect in the front storage of my 3791rd
Old 01-09-2020, 05:51 PM   #12
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
Thanks for the thread here.. We have been discussing these E-bikes, and will be following the experiences here..
jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:30 PM   #13
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Might want to look at this one. right at 1K front suspension.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/collec...step-thru-2019
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:48 PM   #14
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
We purchased the Rad Mini's (folding) one for each of us. Rad is currently the top rated Ebike. We paid $1199 (Black Friday Sale), however I wold have paid full price. They are amazing bikes I was a serious rider until about 4 years ago.

The Rad has front suspension that the 4" tires are very soft ride. You can also add a suspension seat post if you need more cush.

Rad is based in Seattle as am I so we had the luxury for test riding and visiting the store and getting to know the staff, they are not simply a Chinese bike reseller,, however they are Asian built bikes (they all are these days).

They are heavy but built like a tank, probably the strongest and best built bike I have seen or ridden.

Peddles easy on the flats then just give a little throttle for the hills, we use the power assist maybe 20%-30%. 20 mile rides still have over 1/2 battery left.

Rad just released their latest generation of the Mini whereas they did lighten just a bit. Due to the folding (very compact) two will easily fit in your basement or simply get as hitch receiver bike rack for the back of the RV.

I would not buy a sub $1k Ebike, The sales and tech support is second to none with RAD just a phone call to Seattle and you get to talk to a real person.

It is also important to understand the wattage of an ebike. Rad's are 750-watt motors many are only 500-watt (a little under powered) Until recently State and National Parks and bike trails banned ebikes however that has recently changed whereas 750 watts and under are now allowed. SO definitely do not purchase one with higher than 750W motors.

We could not be happier with our purchase.

Here is a great review from a RV'er (these are the same two Rad's we purchased). Also if you buy 2 there is an additional $200 discount...

lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:37 PM   #15
kjohn6363
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24081
E-Bikes

We have been riding E-bikes for over 5 years.
EVELO is the brand we ride.
There are many more brands and styles to select form in the US these days.
We take them everywhere. They are trail E-bikes which let you ride all trails.
They are a bit heavy, need to consider an E-Bike, bike rack. They have about a 40 to 50 mile range before the need to recharge the battery.
kjohn6363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:09 PM   #16
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn6363 View Post
We have been riding E-bikes for over 5 years.
EVELO is the brand we ride.

There are many more brands and styles to select form in the US these days.
We take them everywhere. They are trail E-bikes which let you ride all trails.
They are a bit heavy, need to consider an E-Bike, bike rack. They have about a 40 to 50 mile range before the need to recharge the battery.
We looked at those before ordering the RAD's. The EVELO at $2000-$4000 We were consodering the Quest one are very expensive especially since they only have 250w motors (most other brands 500w-750w). Also the RAD has 750w with a 14-AH battery vs the EVELO at only 250W 10-AH (Both RAD and EVELO use Samsung Batteries). The Rad also has 7 gears/speed so it is geared more like a typical bike. We ride ours like a typical bike so the multiple gears are very important and only use the battery for hills or assist. I do like the belt drive on the EVELO although that is what is limiting it to a single gear

There is a lot to consider when comparing the newer Ebikes

Wired and Bicycle.com both had the RAD as the #1 Ebike for 2019
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:48 PM   #17
kjohn6363
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24081
Our bikes are the Aries and Aurora both 500w Mid Drive motor w/NuVinci N306 Drivetrain
The Rockshox front forks and mono shock rear make them very rideable.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:04 PM   #18
hitdrd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18743
We bit the dust and ordered 2 RAD MINI Power bikes, a step thru for me and a RAD fat tire version for dh ( b/c of his 6’ he couldn’t get the step through!
Now looking for covers for the bikes for while on the rack!
They have the most bang for the buck for $1500. ( if u order 2 they give u $200 off.
Look for us scooting around😁
Old 01-15-2020, 03:14 PM   #19
kjohn6363
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24081
I use single bike covers for each and a Kuat bike rack on the back of our Montana
Enjoy the bikes!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2020, 04:08 PM   #20
Tracy30

M.O.C. #24851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesb View Post
Been researching them for 6 months now and are on the serious list for this summer. So many choices, models, prices, and quality. But we will definitely get the foldable model, for convenience and storage in the basement or bed of the truck. So far, I am sold on the brand name Lectric. Under 1k. Free shipping.
We bought 2 Lectric XP ebikes 3 weeks ago while on our trip down in Florida. LOVE THEM!!! Shipping was free and we had them shipped to us at Myakka State Park. Our friends ordered 2 a couple weeks before us and love theirs too. They fold up, Max we’ve done before recharging was18 miles and I still had 3/4 battery left, hubby had about 2/3.
Highly recommend them!
Tracy30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-bikes, gettin around