Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2020, 08:26 PM   #1
badaxemi
Established Member

M.O.C. #25648
Heat vent in bedroom not getting much airflow.

We just purchased a new 2019 381TH less than a month ago. I have a question about the airflow in the bedroom. I see that there are two thermostats one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom. I have noticed that when I turn on the furnace in the kitchen that the air from the vents in the living room and kitchen come out really good. When I go to the bedroom the air doesn't seem to be coming out very good. Do I have to turn the thermostat in the bedroom on to get the vent in the bedroom to come out faster ( ie: Damper somewhere)? I guess I should of paid closer attention when we did the walk through. I have called Keystone to maybe get some information about my question but that was worthless, all they could tell me is to take it to a dealer to have it looked at. I was hoping that they could give some guidance since the built the darn thing and really don't want to drive down to a dealer if I am just not doing something correctly. Thanks for your help everyone!!!!!!

badaxemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:17 AM   #2
Shultz

M.O.C. #25808
Quote:
Originally Posted by badaxemi View Post
We just purchased a new 2019 381TH less than a month ago. I have a question about the airflow in the bedroom. I see that there are two thermostats one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom. I have noticed that when I turn on the furnace in the kitchen that the air from the vents in the living room and kitchen come out really good. When I go to the bedroom the air doesn't seem to be coming out very good. Do I have to turn the thermostat in the bedroom on to get the vent in the bedroom to come out faster ( ie: Damper somewhere)? I guess I should of paid closer attention when we did the walk through. I have called Keystone to maybe get some information about my question but that was worthless, all they could tell me is to take it to a dealer to have it looked at. I was hoping that they could give some guidance since the built the darn thing and really don't want to drive down to a dealer if I am just not doing something correctly. Thanks for your help everyone!!!!!!
We purchased our new 2019 380TH back in Nov and we have the same problem. Was told that somewhere in the duct that it's kinked, come loose, smaller duct size, etc. Nice and warm every place but bathroom and bedroom. Found other little things that was missed during the walk though also, so now it is back at the dealer getting everything fixed! The thermostat in the bedroom only works for the A/C and nothin else. Hope this helps.
Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:09 AM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Take the wall down in the basement and look for kinked, cut or detached hoses. Easy fix.
YouTube is you friend
Dometic thermostat
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:47 AM   #4
rvsareus
Established Member

M.O.C. #22863
We have had our 2019 for almost 2 yrs now and there is not much you can do about the flow. The vent take a hard up and back flat flow to the bathroom and bedroom floor vent and its just not powerfull enough to make it all the way back.Ive tried blocking the floor vents in the kitchen and living room vents and that don't help much either. Don't like the system.
rvsareus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:41 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The first thing to do is to take the basement wall out and see if the vent is fully connected and not kinked. As stated above the bedroom thermostat only controls the ac.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:16 PM   #6
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
When you take down the wall you should find a disconnected hose, it is there to supply heat to your plumbing.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:27 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
On some models, like mine, the bedroom ductwork runs across the roof of the basement and is a really delicate duct. I rewraped mine because stored stuff could easily put a hole in it or disconnect it from the vent itself. On mine I rewaped it myself with metal foil duct tape. If yours is like mine check that part between the wall and the vent first before you take the wall down. On mine that run goes over the top of the wall and the wall it's self could also cut it over time and rough roads so you could look there also.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:49 AM   #8
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
and about your bedroom thermosat...'Do I have to turn the thermostat in the bedroom on to get the vent in the bedroom to come out' answer is No.

the bedroom thermostat is only for the bedroom AC
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:47 AM   #9
rvsareus
Established Member

M.O.C. #22863
They don't use soft ducting in the floors of this model. Its 3 x9 sheet metal like returns in a house. So 2 90 degree bends don't help the system at all. I have a 381th and there is no soft stuff in the compartments. Sorry
rvsareus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:35 PM   #10
Charlie W
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23396
They should be a flex tube going from the heater to the 3 by 9 box running along the roof of the compartment, I had to drill a new hole in the 3x9 box for the tube because when the wall was attached it would kink the vent tube. And I use the aluminum tape to tape all the heater, vent leaks made a big difference getting air and to the front bedroom.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:52 PM   #11
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
One of the hoses coming off the heater was smashed by a boot on the factory line and had a big rip in it so the path of least resistance was out the hole and into the basement down into the tank area of the belly. So if you haven't removed the walls in the storage area and found all the suprises the guys on the line left you...you really should do yourself a favor and do it.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:10 PM   #12
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
One of our hoses was completely severed when we took delivery...the coroplast had to be removed and a splice installed. The techs did such a crappy job cramming all the excess hose back in, that they created a kink and we still didn't have sufficient air flow. I took the coroplast down, removed the excess hose, installed semi rigid hose where i could access, and where there were straight runs i used 4" duct pipe. No more kinks, and I have good air flow now. Of course techs couldn't explain how my hose (that was enclosed at the factory) became "severed"
Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:41 PM   #13
Kris & Al
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18907
Wife told me we had zero air coming out of the bathroom floor vent. Took a flashlight and shined down the vent and saw a vent laying beneath it. Unscrew the vent from the floor, reached in and brought the flex duct up. The hose clamp didn’t hold the flex to the vent. Reconnected it and all fixed! Surprisingly easy. Easy stuff first, hard stuff later.
Kris & Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:23 AM   #14
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
OK - so I'm convinced, made first trip in new 373RD. All went well but need to take basement wall down and make sure ALL IS WELL, especially in my mind.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:32 AM   #15
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Take pictures so you can refer back to them.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:58 PM   #16
Woodworker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22922
The bedroom thermostat only controls the bedroom AC and heat pump. It does not affect the furnace temp.

We had the same problem in our 2018 3811ms. No heat in bathroom, pulled the vent out of the floor to discover the flexible vent hose had come loose and dropped down to the basement floor. Reached in, grabbed the hose and refastened it to the vent with the hose clamp and it works fine now. Haven't had the issue with the bedroom vent but do know that
Woodworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:34 PM   #17
Route66Rambler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23433
We had the same issue in our HC 330RL. After the basement wall was removed found the duct was run too short causing a lot pressure on the duct. When we inspected the duct it was completely severed causing most of the air to go into the basement. We bought a clothes dryer duct and gave it enough extra to prevent it tearing again. Problem solved. Plenty of air in the bedroom now. Take a look in your basement.
Route66Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote