Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2020, 05:33 PM   #1
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Excel Spreadsheet with model info

Got a few questions and maybe an idea:

Can you post Excel workbooks someplace on our website?

If yes, we could make a template and create a tab for each model. Certainly the common things like dimensions and tank capacities but also things like type/brand/model of appliances and power draw for same. Maybe even stain colors that match the trim and things like that. Just everything someone might need to reference on a given model ALL IN ONE PLACE.

If we make it available for everyone to add information too imagine the amount of helpful data we could accumulate in a relatively short period of time!

I know models change a bit year to year but even that could be added in and it would allow owners of older models to know which updated appliances would replace theirs. Or better yet, member recommendations. Prime example is someone told me today that a Sharp convection oven/microwave was superior to both Highpoint and another brand. Information like that is worth its weight in gold.

Perhaps even part numbers for common items like say a sail switch.

Yes I know that we can ask about anything on here and someone will probably know but wouldn't having it all in one place for quick reference be even better?
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:08 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
It appears the valid file attachment types are: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip. So no, an Excel won;t load. You could "zip" it but that may not be all that usable?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:12 PM   #3
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
It appears the valid file attachment types are: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip. So no, an Excel won;t load. You could "zip" it but that may not be all that usable?
Any ideas for an alternate way to do the same thing. I think it would be an extremely useful tool to have a place to put our collective knowledge for each model all on one page.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:08 PM   #4
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
You'd have to create a google docs type spreadsheet and somehow manage to give access to those who need/desire it. We should be able to post the link. Perhaps we could create some generic user name that anyone could use with "View Only" privileges and assign a handful of admins who could edit as needed.

I've done a lot of complex Excel work for many years so could help something like this.

Just a thought

Edit: There's already a pretty good collection of specs for most models on RVUSA.com

Here's mine, for instance. https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2018-...-305rl-tr33536
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:31 PM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
You'd have to create a google docs type spreadsheet and somehow manage to give access to those who need/desire it. We should be able to post the link. Perhaps we could create some generic user name that anyone could use with "View Only" privileges and assign a handful of admins who could edit as needed.

I've done a lot of complex Excel work for many years so could help something like this.

Just a thought

Edit: There's already a pretty good collection of specs for most models on RVUSA.com

Here's mine, for instance. https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2018-...-305rl-tr33536
That's not a bad start but what I had in mind would be much more detailed. Such as I know that the stain that matches a 2019 HC381TH trim is Minwax Ebony. Or like the model number and common parts numbers for the Furnace (for instance the part number for the Sail Switch). While that sounds like it would be an impossible amount of information to accumulate when you think of how many folks we have on here that have different pieces of that information then it would seem realistic. Everyone has replaced some part on their rig and if we add only one or two things each it would build out fairly fast. Would we ever get all the parts on the lists, of course not, but I bet you would be surprised at how much we could get and to me that information all in one place for my specific unit would be worth its weight in gold. Imagine the time you would save trying to research a part before ordering (much less where to order it).

Of course the sad thing is that Keystone probably has a good portion of this information on a spreadsheet somewhere. They just don't care to share it with their customers........Would have been nice to have had the stain match recently so I didn't have to buy 5 cans of different stain and then test it on several scrap pieces of wood (with drying it took several hours to complete that process! That's just one example.

How about the LED bulb number that would replace a standard bulb on a certain light fixture etc etc etc etc.......
Old 01-24-2020, 05:53 PM   #6
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Would we ever get all the parts on the lists, of course not, but I bet you would be surprised at how much we could get and to me that information all in one place for my specific unit would be worth its weight in gold. Imagine the time you would save trying to research a part before ordering (much less where to order it).
You're right, the amount of potential data could be overwhelming and very difficult to capture and categorize. Especially since a lot of what you're suggesting is undocumented "Tribal Knowledge". I agree that it could be very helpful to the right person and specific issues but, dang. I'm not sure how we would start something like that.

Would you sort by Year and Model? Specific interior packages? Colors? Electrical? Plumbing? Interior? Exterior? Aftermarket manufacturers? It could be almost as complex as a site like Rock Auto.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:55 PM   #7
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
You're right, the amount of potential data could be overwhelming and very difficult to capture and categorize. Especially since a lot of what you're suggesting is undocumented "Tribal Knowledge". I agree that it could be very helpful to the right person and specific issues but, dang. I'm not sure how we would start something like that.

Would you sort by Year and Model? Specific interior packages? Colors? Electrical? Plumbing? Interior? Exterior? Aftermarket manufacturers? It could be almost as complex as a site like Rock Auto.
I understand that this site may not be able to support such an endeavor and I would not suggest it be something that has to be heavily managed by volunteers as that is asking more than we should of mediators. Perhaps it is something that should be on a pay site of some sort?

Or maybe we just hold a page on here somewhere for each model and let folks simply add information they know. Is there a way for us to setup a blank page site and just start filling in information?

Even just a page that lists common part numbers for universally used appliances would be a good start.

I know we can ask these questions of the group as they come up and wait for a response but sometimes it would be nice if there was a place where that sort of information was immediately available and stored safely (How many times did you write down a part number and throw it away only to need it again in a few months?).
Old 01-29-2020, 04:53 PM   #8
Wolfman Jack

M.O.C. #23790
We could call it : RVPEDIA
Wolfman Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:38 PM   #9
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
If you are going to put it on this site, I would suggest it be info stored in each user's profile. That way you don't have to administer any update access.
You could design certain buckets or fields that would attempt to capture basic info like:
RV MAKE _____ MODEL _____ YEAR _____
FRIDGE MAKE _____ MODEL _____ DESC_____
FURNACE MAKE _____ MODEL _____ DESC _____
MICROWAVE MAKE ____ MODEL _____ DESC _____
OTHER ITEM #1_____ MAKE _____ MODEL _____ DESC _____
OTHER ITEM #2 _____ MAKE _____ MODEL _____ DESC _____

Example OTHER ITEM #3 Awning Motor MAKE Dometic MODEL Xyz DESC: .
OTHER ITEM #4 Microwave MAKE Sylvania MODEL Xyz DESC: Light Bulb 20 W

You get the picture. I think the Other Item should be allowed to be entered as many as necessary. Provide users a search tool like :
RV YEAR _____ MAKE _____ MODEL _____ ITEM _____

You could get all info for a 2018 Montana 3120RL or you could only get info for a 2018 Montana 3120RL Microwave.

Keep in mind that users trade RV's and also have more than one. So their profile should accomodate multiples.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:55 PM   #10
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
That's a good starting point. But I think the complexity that the OP was introducing involves a lot of aftermarket/DIY stuff, like, what make and color of stain to buy for working on cabinets, or, what are the parts I'm looking for to fix...?

It's a good idea but huge in scope. Many who have done their own repairs for...whatever, could provide good info for someone looking to do the same thing. The research has already been done. But capturing all of that potential data could be a very large task.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:10 PM   #11
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
That's a good starting point. But I think the complexity that the OP was introducing involves a lot of aftermarket/DIY stuff, like, what make and color of stain to buy for working on cabinets, or, what are the parts I'm looking for to fix...?

It's a good idea but huge in scope. Many who have done their own repairs for...whatever, could provide good info for someone looking to do the same thing. The research has already been done. But capturing all of that potential data could be a very large task.
I don't argue that it is a very large task. That is why I am suggesting it needs to be some sort of shared file that everyone can access. I might know what stain matches the trim, you might know what LED light bulb replaces the incandescent on the scare light. No one person is going to be able to input all the information. Its like painting a house with a crew as opposed to one person.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:37 PM   #12
jdarwin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21728
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
I don't argue that it is a very large task. That is why I am suggesting it needs to be some sort of shared file that everyone can access. I might know what stain matches the trim, you might know what LED light bulb replaces the incandescent on the scare light. No one person is going to be able to input all the information. Its like painting a house with a crew as opposed to one person.
Actually there are a number of ways this could be accomplished. This first step is to develop a list items to be tracked. Once we have a definitive list the next step would be to decide how and where to store the data. That would drive the rest...

It would be huge undertaking and require both a project mgr and DB mgr/maintenance person (IMO).

As a quick example, using Microsoft OneDrive and MS Access, a cloud-based system could be designed and built. The only question is... who has time and resources to build such a system? Anyone interested?
Member #21728
2019 3931FB
2017 F350 6.7 Powerstroke SRW
B&W Companion Slider 20K
jdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote