Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2011, 04:53 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well we would need 2 holding tanks maybe 3 and a new underbelly and insulation and new graphics. We can't sell it like this and what kind of trade could I get. Helen likes that 4 door fridge and I like the second bathroom.... in the new ones.... but...Thos one has the Mor Ryde IS system, JT stablizers, new self adjusting brakes. I am not sure this frame will support the 6 point system////

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:14 AM   #22
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Well we would need 2 holding tanks maybe 3 and a new underbelly and insulation and new graphics. We can't sell it like this and what kind of trade could I get. Helen likes that 4 door fridge and I like the second bathroom.... in the new ones.... but...Thos one has the Mor Ryde IS system, JT stablizers, new self adjusting brakes. I am not sure this frame will support the 6 point system////
I'm with you, Rich. This "haywagon" frame is not designed for the rigors we have put on it as full timers for the last 5+ years.

Our trailer is getting old, shows the wear, needs tanks too like yours and we will have to hoof the bill before we can sell it.... will be retiring this rig soon.

Like others have said above, we would not want to again go through the hassles with the dealer and the company denials to even consider buying another Montana.

Montana builds a great part-time rig, a real value for the money.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #23
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I called Keystone and told them I wanted to have Goshen repair my trailer and I was willing to pay to have it done. Keystone said they didn’t have a repair facility in Goshen and they don’t do repairs on trailers. I would have to take it to a dealer.

So I started looking for a good repair shop. Found one that the insurance companies recommended as well as a number of people that had extensive repairs on their RVs.

Called the company. At first wouldn’t talk to me until they new who recommended them. Then when I told them I had a Keystone Montana they informed me they didn’t work on “low end” trailers.

I am sure there are some good Keystone dealers out there but the four I have had my trailer to were just not competent.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #24
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Hi

Called the company. At first wouldn’t talk to me until they new who recommended them. Then when I told them I had a Keystone Montana they informed me they didn’t work on “low end” trailers.

Could be because there are to many high end trailers that need work.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #25
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by helmick

No

The real problem was the people with the “low end” RVs commonly don’t have the money to do the repairs properly.

All it took was a letter from my bank and we did business.

By the way their labor rate is 2/3 of what the last incompetent dealer Keystone sent me to charges.

Phil P
Old 01-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #26
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by helmick

No

The real problem was the people with the “low end” RVs commonly don’t have the money to do the repairs properly.

All it took was a letter from my bank and we did business.

By the way their labor rate is 2/3 of what the last incompetent dealer Keystone sent me to charges.

Phil P
Sorry
I guess I just have a low end RV and no money for repairs.
Maybe some day I can be as rich as you.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #27
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Phil P,
You had to get a letter from the bank before they would do business with you? Seriously? Did they want a Dunn and Bradstreet too?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #28
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:

So I started looking for a good repair shop. Found one that the insurance companies recommended as well as a number of people that had extensive repairs on their RVs.

Once again I ask, "Who is this RV Repair shop?" I sure wouldn't want to accidentally try to use them.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #29
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

You should be so lucky to find a company that has been in business for 30 years in the same location under the same ownership, recommended by the adjusters for 2 of the major insurance companies that cover RVs, recommended by other companies that were honest enough to tell you they didn’t have the equipment and personnel to do the work, recommended by 4 individuals that have “high end” RVs, hired their last new employee 15 years ago and he still works there and their shop labor rate is 30 percent less than the incompetents that have been butchering on your unit since it was new.

I didn’t purchase this unit because of price although it did save me $500,000.00 compared to what I was looking at. I purchased this unit because of the large basement and I prefer the tractor-trailer over the greyhound bus both of which I have driven.

Phil P
Old 01-02-2012, 03:09 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:

Hi

I called Keystone and told them I wanted to have Goshen repair my trailer and I was willing to pay to have it done. Keystone said they didn’t have a repair facility in Goshen and they don’t do repairs on trailers. I would have to take it to a dealer.

I am sure there are some good Keystone dealers out there but the four I have had my trailer to were just not competent.

Phil P
It is true the Keystone service center in Goshen only does warranty work on Keystone products or work they feel is a result of a manufacturing issue like the Frame flex issue. Keystone does not have a Rv repair facility in that area.

There are many excellent RV repair facilities in the Goshen area. We us D&T Rv repair near the Montana plant and recommended by the service center.

I personally would not let the average dealer do major repair on our unit as most of them do little major repair. Odd about not accepting insurance $$$ no matter what the price range of the unit as most of the parts are similar anyhow..Never saw a insurance company refuse to do work on a ..low end .. auto.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #31
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
As Rich said, D & T RV is an excellent repair facility. They have done work on our Montana on two different occasions and we are well pleased with their work. One of the owners used to do all of Keystone's warranty work for them.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:48 AM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Quote:

Well we would need 2 holding tanks maybe 3 and a new underbelly and insulation and new graphics. We can't sell it like this and what kind of trade could I get. Helen likes that 4 door fridge and I like the second bathroom.... in the new ones.... but...This one has the Mor Ryde IS system, JT stabilizers, new self adjusting brakes. I am not sure this frame will support the 6 point system////
I'm with you, Rich. This "haywagon" frame is not designed for the rigors we have put on it as full timers for the last 5+ years.

Our trailer is getting old, shows the wear, needs tanks too like yours and we will have to hoof the bill before we can sell it.... will be retiring this rig soon.

Like others have said above, we would not want to again go through the hassles with the dealer and the company denials to even consider buying another Montana.

Montana builds a great part-time rig, a real value for the money.
The question....who builds a better one in that price range. The plants all look the same.Workforce is the same, vendors are the same.
None of them have good quality control although we were impressed with the extra room they had for quality control in the new Montana plant. However quality should occurs at every work station not at the end of the line.

Even the higher $$$ ones are built the same. I figure this 06 3400 need about 5K of repair work right now but it still will not have the new features we would like and we can not afford the "full time rigs or the truck to pull one.....What to do...what to do...
Old 01-07-2012, 05:42 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Three folks have looked at this thing and will not touch it. The graphics are crap and we have 2 maybe 3 leaking holding tanks,the underbelly looks like a cross word puzzle it has been off and cut so many times. It is down now and it is a mess under there. We are not happy campers.

the Mor ryde IS system, JT stablizers, No adjust brakes make no difference to the buyers. They see the problems and walk away. It has a NADA of 25/30K and we can't get 15 for it.. What will a dealer do???
Old 01-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #34
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I traded two units in at the big rv show in Pa. both times nobody looked or checked anything and gave me top dollar for our unit.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #35
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
If you are trading up in value, you should have no problem Rich. Our graphics were peeling and we also had a couple of other issues and dealer gave us 80% of what we paid for the rig four years earlier. If they want to sell a new one, they will deal. The trade-in we got was the primary reason we could not turn the deal down.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #36
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
I personally would not let the average dealer do major repair on our unit as most of them do little major repair. Odd about not accepting insurance $$$ no matter what the price range of the unit as most of the parts are similar anyhow..Never saw a insurance company refuse to do work on a ..low end .. auto.
Hello Rich

I don’t see where I said any thing about them not accepting insurance jobs. As a matter a fact the insurance adjusters I talked to (Progressive and Geico) recommended this outfit highly. Said their work was quality, prices acceptable and they performed in a timely manner.

The reason for their problems with the trailers both 5th wheel and bumper pull is a lot of the insurance claims will not pay for repairs to items that have deteriorated from use or exposure. In these cases the customer commonly leaves with the unit with out repair.

This is the reason for so many problems doing business with them.

I brought my trailer in and they spent about 2 hours inspecting and testing the systems.

In 2 hours they came to me with more information than the 3 dealers that worked on the trailer during the year it was under warranty had recorded and a not to exceed estimate.

It became apparent that the Keystone designated repair facilities never even pressurized the water system or they would not have made the reports they did. Boil’s down to gross incompetence. Even a jackleg auto mechanic starts the engine before he gives you a quote to repair it.

That’s not to say that there are not some good dealers out there I just haven’t found one.

Phil P
Old 01-08-2012, 05:07 AM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are hoping for the best on a trade in but expect the worst.
I doubt I can get high trade in and low price on a unit that needs maybe 5K worth of work on it...
Old 01-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #38
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Accentuate the postive Rich.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:00 AM   #39
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:

I doubt I can get high trade in and low price on a unit that needs maybe 5K worth of work on it...
I would think you are correct. They're gonna make their money one way or another.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #40
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:

Rich - what do you need fixed that's going to cost so much?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote