Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Audio System

I have the 3400RL 2008 Model.
I would like to replace the QR-4000 receiver which is garbage with something better.Is their anyone that has this exact model and replaced it. If so,does it have all the same connections and can you give the brand and model number?
Thanks,Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:44 AM   #2
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Jack, I took out that receiver and replaced it with a Sony surround processor. It has an amplifier sufficient enough to drive all speakers and can control the 5.1 components individually, has multiple input/output connections for DVD, VCR, S-Video, etc. plus the unit has an excellent tuner.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:58 AM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Jack -

Just about any of the surround sound systems will have all of the outputs you need. We went with a full size Yamaha receiver and Sony DVD player. Decide what works best for you and listen to them at a store. Some have universal remotes, that will control all of the components. Many have found JBL or Sony units that they like. I know Keystone is going to a Sony system next year.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Jack,
Think "Bose!"

Bring lots of money!!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:40 AM   #5
sunshineduo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8513
We did do the Bose .. stole them from our stick house. The woofer is a new piece of furniture, and fits alongside the swivel-rocker. The satellite speakers are considerably heavier than the factory ones and required new mounts, but they seem to have mounted up just fine.
I did discover that the factory folks seemed to have paid no attention to wiring polarity of the speakers so they weren't phased correctly.
I fit a Pioneer receiver, Blue-Ray disc player, the DirecTV receiver, and (hopefully) a dvd recorder all in that little cabinet.
It took some shelving from Wal-Mart to make it all fit and give it some air-flow, and I do have to spend about 5 minutes wiring up the sub very time we want it to work full up (this is because Bose has proprietary wiring harness, and we don't want that out in the open whenwe slide the room.

Anyway.. yes, you can have it your way
sunshineduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:51 AM   #6
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Jack, I am in the process of installing a Sony AV receiver and a LG DVD R I have had for a couple of years. The LG DVDR will sit in the bay where the QR-4000 sits and the AV receiver will sit in the larger bay below. This is in a 2955RL.
One of the things I looked for was HDMI inputs in the AV receiver. If you have a tv with HDMI input and a HD satellite receiver with a HDMI output and you want to use HDMI hookups, this is important. When shopping I did notice several systems did not have HDMI inputs or did not have enough for me. Probably most anything would be better than the QR-4000. When installing all this equipment in these bays my plan is to add a cabinet fan for cooling. JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:11 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
There's always the QV6000 shown in the Rally pictures.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:17 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Jolu,

Wouldn't you only need to run your HDMI through the audio reciever if you were also using that as a AV switch? Those are kind of pricey! We run the HDMI from the dish receiver straight to the TV, and fiber optic from the dish receiver to the QR-4000 for audio. If we replace the QR-4000, I'm not sure I would spend the money for the HDMI pass through.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #9
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
That's right Brad the Sat Receiver through the AV Receiver with the DVDR into the AV Receiver also.(requiring 2 HDMI ins) I'm running 3 tvs in the Monty. One LCD is on the table. Also a VCR/DVD used as a switch for cable/ant. The VCR/DVD simplifies my hookup for the cable/ant and BR tv as well as tv off the ant when using the generator. My Sat Receiver does not have a RF out. Using a RF Modulator from the sat receiver has been my solution for the BR and Table tv up to now.
The Sony AV receiver is also going to be used for the stick house. So it serves the Monty and the house. They have been on sale at Circuit City. Most anything using HDMI is not cheap.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:29 AM   #10
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I prefer the option of running the video from the device to the display and the audio from the device to the receiver, separately. Everything stays in its native format and the optical sounds great. I've had bad luck using a receiver as a video switcher because it can do a bad job of converting older formats, like NTSC (e.g., VCR) to LCD resolution, whereas the LCD usually has tolerable converters.

Our QR-4000 broke and we were given a QV-6000 (if I remember correctly). Before removing the wiring from the QR, I labelled each wire pair as it was connected (FR, FL, etc.), and which conductor of the pair was red (we don't have polarity issues). The new unit works well, but, like the old one, it's grossly underpowered. Some time spent with the equalization and level balancing can result in audio similar to a boxed home theatre, but don't turn it up or it will make bathroom sounds! The speakers are pretty lame, too, but the have the benefit of being small. I think the surround speakers could be located better in our 3400RL. I'm thinking of relocating the speaker from over the dining room table to the table end of the couch and from the rear end of the couch to behind the off-door recliner.

Sunshineduo, I'm curious about the Bose subwoofer's "proprietary wiring harness". Can you explain that further?
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:28 PM   #11
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
I too want to replace my audio receiver, which is a Memorex STS71E piece of junk. However, I just got home from Circuit City, and the guy there tells me you can't replace just the receiver because the new system's speakers are set up just for that system. I'm confused.
beakyfudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:09 AM   #12
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by beakyfudd

I too want to replace my audio receiver, which is a Memorex STS71E piece of junk. However, I just got home from Circuit City, and the guy there tells me you can't replace just the receiver because the new system's speakers are set up just for that system. I'm confused.
Beakyfudd, I think the salesman is selling you something that male bovines provide for free. You didn't say how old your Memorex is. If you have the following speakers (left, right, centre, left rear and right rear plus a subwoofer) or less, then any new DVD/receiver combo will retro-connect to them. You just have to mark the speaker wires according to where they were connected on the Memorex, including red or black, and reconnect them to the new unit as labeled. If the existing speakers are satisfactory, then they should work fine, however, if the new unit is WAY more powerful (more than twice), then you'll want to think about better speakers. Hope this helps.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:37 AM   #13
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
Thanks Dave, this does help. Our Mountaineer is an 07, so I presume the Memorex is only a couple/three years old. I am having a hard time finding just a head unit. Most places, are selling a complete system (with speakers). I'm going to the Montana dealer in Lancaster, PA this Saturday for some parts and also to check out the new 5ers to see what units they have in them.
beakyfudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:04 AM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Some units are not compatible but only because of the wiring. Example: Maybe on the present system you have, the speaker wires are stripped at the ends and placed in push type connectors. If you were to buy a system that has RCA type push on connectors and no wire push connectors, you would have to manufacture RCA connectors to fit the new system.

If the present system has RCA connectors and the new system wire push on connectors, then it may just be a matter of cutting the wires at the RCA connectors on the old system and sticking the correct polarity onto the push on connectors. Most old type stereo wires (two wire type) have a ribbed strip going down the side of one wire. This will allow you to determine the polarity at the speaker end, and match it at the receiver end. Or, one wire will be smooth and the other will be ribbed. There are a few other configurations and a close examination should tell you which wire is different. If for some reason there is no difference between the wires to a speaker, the only sure way to match up the polarity is to meter the wires with an ohm-meter, with the wires disconnected, then mark them.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:39 AM   #15
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I finally corrected my system,the only problem I was having with the system was the DVD player other than that it was fine.
I went out and purchase a Sony DVD player,disconnected the cables for the internal audio DVD player than plugged in the new Sony audio cables and than ran the HMDI cable directly to the TV. Everything works great now and only cost me 70.00.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:14 PM   #16
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Another way to check polarity of a speaker line without disconnecting the speaker requires a 9-volt battery and access to the speaker cone. With the speaker wire's conductors disconnected from the DVD/receiver/amplifier's push terminals, touch the two conductors to the posts of the 9-volt battery at the same time, without touching each other or any other connections. The speaker cone will move either in or out. You can feel this with a fingertip. If the cone moves in toward the magnet, then flip the battery to swap the posts. When you get the cone moving outward, then mark the conductor that is touching the "+" post as "+". Tape and a Sharpie marker are handy for this. If you can't easily get to the front of the speaker, then maybe you can touch the cone through the holes in the back of the metal "basket" that houses the cone. Don't use a hard, pointed object or you may puncture the cone paper. A Q-Tip might do the trick.

Do this for all of the speaker lines. Then, re-connect the lines to the push terminals so that the wires marked "+" are connected to the red terminals and the remaining conductors, the "-" wires, are connected to the black terminals.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:53 PM   #17
decarteaux
Established Member

M.O.C. #26474
QR-4000 replacement that manages Bose 5.1/7.1 speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Brenda View Post
Jack, I took out that receiver and replaced it with a Sony surround processor. It has an amplifier sufficient enough to drive all speakers and can control the 5.1 components individually, has multiple input/output connections for DVD, VCR, S-Video, etc. plus the unit has an excellent tuner.
Ok, like everyone else, I am looking to replace the QR-4000. The previous owner installed a Bose speaker system (3 cubes up front, 2 in the rear, and then a sound bar), and each speaker is wired directly to the QR.

To clarify what you've said, you got a Sony surround processor that allow for all of those hookups, correct? If so, what model?

I like your solution because it hits all the points for a true home theater solution.

decarteaux in Fallon, NV
2008 Montana 3400RL, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 HD Laramie w/Cummins 5.9L 24 valve TurboDiesel. Andersen Ultimate hitch
decarteaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:18 PM   #18
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I use a single sound bar (Bose solo from Sams or Costco) and have been happy with it.

Not sure you will get an answer to your question since the OP for this thread was from 2008. Improving the sound system is a popular topic so I’m sure you will get some helpful replies and suggestions.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:29 PM   #19
decarteaux
Established Member

M.O.C. #26474
Thanks. Not sure how the group/admins feel about posting new threads on topics that have been covered, so I just went with the old thread.

I am just going to go with a full-on system. With a Bose 5 cube & sound bar system, I want to do it justice. A good receiver that can handle these speakers and a good multi-format player will be on the shopping list.

BTW, I saw "Chatan-cho" on your post from back then, I believe. Sounds like a place I know in Okinawa over by Sunabe sea wall. Yes?

Thanks again.

decarteaux in Fallon, NV
2008 Montana 3400RL, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 HD Laramie w/Cummins 5.9L 24 valve TurboDiesel. Andersen Ultimate hitch
decarteaux is offline   Reply With Quote