Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2008, 02:02 AM   #21
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That makes me feel REAL comfortable...

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:36 AM   #22
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
my tech told me the recall is expanding- the issue remains a possibly defective batch of boiler tubes- others have reported on other threads that their reefer failed and had to be replaced a few months after the "fix" was done- it is a sad day for us- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:17 AM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fulltimedreamer

Steve,

They install a shield around the burner to contain the fire should the boiler tube break open. The amonia will burn when released under pressure in the presence of a flame. Thus, the reason they tell you not to use LP to operate the refrigerator until the retrofit is done. This retrofit does not fix the real issue with the refrigerator, defective boilers tubes, but hopefully contains the fire so it doesn't burn down your coach when it fails. IMHO I think Dometic should replace everyone of these defective refrigerators with new cooling units with an improved boiler tube design!! Hopefully, some lawyer will start a class action suit that will require this! Off my soapbox now.
Oh, good. My feeling about this parallel's Dave's. If anyone hears more on this, please post it.
Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:14 AM   #24
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Bingo, our's had made this new expanded recall list as well. When we traded our 03/2955 I thought I was saying goodbye to Domectic's problem refers, not so! This recall doesn't do anything to address the real weak spot a lot of these fridges have. So, for now I get it fixed and wait for the boiler tube to fail down the road!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #25
ldunning
Established Member

M.O.C. #5692
I took mine in to have the recall done and found that the cooling unit had leaked and the the cooling unit will have to be replaced. The warranty on the refrigerator is parts and labor for 2 years and just parts for the third year. At least the $300 charge for labor is a lot less than the $1500 cost to replace the complete refrigerator.
ldunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:15 AM   #26
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I had mine fixed today...took about 15 minutes. New shield around the burner and another similar size shield underneath everything. No charge.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:12 AM   #27
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Without hijacking the thread, does Camping World, other dealers have the kit, on hand,or do we have to wait for parts? Thanks, Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:47 AM   #28
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by xthread

Without hijacking the thread, does Camping World, other dealers have the kit,or do we have to wait for parts? Thanks, Bill on hand
Go to the Dometic web site and put in your zip code. That will give you the closest authorized service tech (mine was not a dealer), call him and ask about parts.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:11 AM   #29
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by xthread

Without hijacking the thread, does Camping World, other dealers have the kit,or do we have to wait for parts? Thanks, Bill on hand
We had ours done at the nearest Camping World, which happened to be a joint venture with Freedom Roads RV sales and service. As noted above, the dometic site will tell you the nearest few service centers. Or you can choose to see a list of all service centers.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #30
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ldunning

I took mine in to have the recall done and found that the cooling unit had leaked and the the cooling unit will have to be replaced. The warranty on the refrigerator is parts and labor for 2 years and just parts for the third year. At least the $300 charge for labor is a lot less than the $1500 cost to replace the complete refrigerator.
We had the repair (which is just a shield) done at the last Fall Rally. They came out to our site and did it. As stated it did not take very long at all. That repair does not give us much comfort except for the fact that if it fails it should contain the fire and not burn up our rig.

ldunning Yours failed already and you have to pay for the repair of your fridge? If that indeed is the case then it seems really unfair to me. How can they admit there is a problem and once a problem occurs make the owner responsible for repairing the fridge?

I think John & Donna (ontmont) also had theirs fail too. I wonder if they had to pay for the repair? It may be worth it for you to PM them and find out.

Our unit was on the first recall. We have an early 03 Big Sky with the optional 10 cubic foot refrigerator, which cost us a bundle to begin with. We have not been able to use our Big Sky all that much but will be full timing in it soon. The fact that our fridge could fail and catch on fire is a very uncomfortable feeling. If that should happen not only will we be expected to pay for the fix but we'll have to pull out of whatever site we're on, drag our Big Sky somewhere for who knows how many miles and I imagine there will be down time too. Time when we won't be able to be in our "home."

This just stinks! We do have the extended warranty on our Big Sky which still has two more years to go. Even so, why on earth would Dometic not pay for these failures?

This fix of Dometic's seems like putting a band aid on a huge gaping wound that in reality requires surgery. I'm amazed someone has not started a law suit already. Must be that no one has actually gotten hurt yet.

I realize Dometic must have a huge number of refrigerators out there. Replacing the boiler on each and everyone of them would cost the company a great deal. Still is it not their responsibility to do so? Would this kind of thing fly with the Automobile manufacturers, wouldn't they have to recall and fix the units, not just put a band aid on?

I do remember a few years back that Norcold had ads in magazines, e-mails, web sites, etc on a refrigerator recall. In fact they were offering a $500.00 reward for all owners of rigs with their refrigerators to respond. I wonder if this was the same problem?

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #31
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Thanks, ours was on the list. Having a man come by tomorrow to instal the fix.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:36 PM   #32
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
We had ours fixed already...the tech that did the work explained the concern was basically over only a couple failures, and of course everyone gets recalled. I was told this was really only affecting the units that had the units over to one side creating a fire hazard.
From reading this thread, it sounds like more than one issue is at play here...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #33
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Guys I talked to my mobile RV man today and he is going to come to my house and fix mine. The recall is now up to 06 units. I will have to pay him for service call and dometic will pay the rest. He said he would come for 35.00$ thats better than hooking up and towing to him and back it only takes 30 mins I hope it works. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
My '07 was included in this latest expansion. They installed the guards around the flame.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #35
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Stopped at a new RV dealership in Traverse City today. (Why someone would start an RV dealership in these economic times is beyond me). But anyway, I noticed that he was on the Dometic list for service. I talked to him at length about this recall. He went in the back and came back out with a box that contained the shield and assorted parts - quite a few parts and little pieces. I will probably rig down a drag our home down to him. About 45 - 50 miles one way. I will talk to Dometic first.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #36
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scductman

Guys I talked to my mobile RV man today and he is going to come to my house and fix mine. The recall is now up to 06 units. I will have to pay him for service call and dometic will pay the rest. He said he would come for 35.00$ thats better than hooking up and towing to him and back it only takes 30 mins I hope it works. bobby
If it's a warranty item, why would you have to pay for the service call? Mine was fixed by a "mobile" service, he came to me, no charge.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:14 PM   #37
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
Send a message via AIM to osofine
Is this in addition to the recall from last Sept? Is it the same recall just expanded to cover more models? I received a recall in the mail but I thought it for the original recall which I had done in November. Is this a new one?
osofine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #38
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Had ours done today and they came to our place. We had to have it preauthorized by Dometic to get the $50 mobile fee paid. We talked to Laurie and explained that we were full timers and it was difficult for us to take it to the repair shop. She authorized the repair at our site. It seems they will authorize a permanently fixed situation. We didn't exactly fib... According to the repair man, Laurie is the one to talk to. If you have to call they need your VIN number of your rig as well as the model & serial number of the frig.(you will find that on the inside of the frig). We have never had a problem with our frig and hope this doesn't jinx it.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #39
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Myrna. I will call and talk to Laurie Mon AM. Do you have a phone # different from the site?
Old 05-18-2008, 09:11 AM   #40
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Called Camping World. 2 weeks to get an appointment, then they want it all day. Smooth.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote