Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2006, 05:29 AM   #1
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
Favorite passtime while traveling.

When you head out on a trip, are you looking for anything special. When Samuel and I went to Nova Scotia in 2000, we set out to see every Lighthouse there was to see. I think we missed one. That was because the ferry wasn't running that day.

We also track down Covered Bridges. Most of the country we see is inroute to find these things of the Past.

While in Nova Scotia the first of June, we ended up Boon-docking at many Lighthouse's because the parks were closed till June 15th.

Salle & Samuel
South Central Virginia
2000 Montana 35'
1998 Chev 3500 Diesel

vabluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:00 AM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We search for working old time railroads that we can ride or anything else to do with railroads. We also try museums in the area. And anything to do with Native Americans.
I notice you haven't made it to the west coast. We have some very interesting lighthouses out here so you will have to come see.
Happy trails...........................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:44 AM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We do something different each year. This year it seems like it turned out to be bridges and cute post offices. We didn't plan for that but we just kept on finding them. Before that it was light houses. We got into a lot of trouble with that one while on the narrow New England roads. One time we had to have about six people from an appartment complex move their cars so we could get out of a jam. It wasn't funny at the time but we sure laugh about it now.

Helen

To follow our journey please click: Bill and Helen's Journey
2005 Montana 3475 pulled by our 2005 Ford 350 Power Stroke Diesel
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:07 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sometimes we have particular items of interest in mind, depending on the area. We also stop at welcome centers and look through the brochures and pick up a vacation guide. And sometimes I do an internet search to see what's within reasonable distance. RV Parks sometimes have info also. And local visitor centers are good. Usually we find there is far more to see than we have time. Those places end up on our 'next time' list.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:37 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Steve
You brought up a good point about the "next time" list. Yours is probably pretty long. Ours is as well. If we are someplace we are sure we are coming back to, we slow down on the sightseeing. If we think we aren't coming back, we try to take it all in. We love northern AZ and will probably return there many times so we left some things to do "next time". We want to do Hwy 50 across Nevada, The Loneliest Road", and it will probably be a one and only time so we will do it all!
Happy trails................................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:04 AM   #6
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
We have talked about starting a church picture book. Some of those small towns have amazing buildings. It's almost a shame more people can't see them to appreciate their beauty.

327RKS
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:32 AM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
At our age, we can't assume there will be a next time, so we tend to try to see it all. Just in case. Phew, wish we had started 10 years ago.

Helen

To follow our journey please click: Bill and Helen's Journey
2005 Montana 3475 pulled by our 2005 Ford 350 Power Stroke Diesel
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:31 PM   #8
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
Sue, After talking to Glenn, I have gone back into the MAPS and changed them. As you will see in this post, I've been ALMOST everywhere. We came down the West coast to San Fransico on our way home from Alaska. We went NW from VA to Winnipeg, Manitoba across the Canadian Highway, then NW to the Yukon and into Alaska. On the way home we came down British Columbia into Washington, Oregon, Calif. then picked up I-40 to VA. That was 1999. In a Coachman motorhome. That was an experience. I put Samuel on some roads only a VW should have been on.

Salle & Samuel
South Central Virginia
2000 Montana 35'
1998 Chev 3500 Diesel

Old 08-22-2006, 03:40 PM   #9
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
Helen,
We had the same motorhome in a small coastal town in MA and had some of your problems. In making a right turn on the narrow streets we bent over a sign. I think with this Monty, we will find a campground
first, Lighthouses and covered bridges, second.

We had the same motorhome in 2000 when we went to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Isl. We could never get the Monty down some of those roads and turned around. If you've every gone looking for lighthouses, their on small dirt roads.

Nice to read the different idears when one travels. I've also heard of people having their picture taken in front of post offices is every town they go through. If I remember right, there is a club in VT that does that in the State.

Salle & Samuel
South Central Virginia
2000 Montana 35'
1998 Chev 3500 Diesel