Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2006, 11:54 AM   #1
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Tools!

Phyllis and I will be moving into our Monty full time in the next few weeks or so and I was wondering what tools I should take with me. I am taking my DeWalt Cordless drill for sure, Do I take my little cordless saw also, what wrenches, etc? I know I can't take a lot, I have a small basic toolbox on board the Monty already, but nothing up in the 3/4-1 inch range or 1/2 inch sockets drive stuff.EXCITED!! ME? EXCITED!!!! UH HUH!!!

rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:12 PM   #2
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
the one thing that you might want to add is a supply of electrical connectors wire crimpers and wire ties, and don't forget the duct tape. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:41 PM   #3
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Let's see, I have my torque wrench in the tool box along with a basic set of sockets. I also have a neat little Black and Decker kit that has screw driver tips, drill bits, sockets, etc, etc. I also have my Ryobi drill, saw, flashlight. Also have Karen's garden tools. A couple of cables, screw drivers, pipe wrench, basic wrench set. I also have three different sets of pliars. You will be surprised what will fit in the tool box in the back and still leave you within weight limits.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:43 PM   #4
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Rick and Phyllis, Beat of luck with your FT adventure. I think it is a real exciting lifestyle but one I won't be able to look at it for a few more years. I still have an 18 year old son and 20 year old daughter living at home going to University and I have to get tham all raised up.Tools, you have thought of the most important things, but remember a good set of side cutters for cotter pin removal and vice grips in small and large sizes. A cold punch and a hammer can do wonders for you.

Costco sells a Ridgid tool set with all the sockets, ratchets, combo wrenches and screwdrivers in both metric and SAE sizes to work on your truck or Montana. This set is 69.00 Can and probably only 45 bucks in the US. I bought one to always have with me. I travel with a full set of tools for my construction work but they stay on the job while I am doing a project. I still keep the Ridgid set and the other items I mentioned in my RV for routine maintenance.

Good luck and all the best in your new lifestyle. Wrenchtraveller

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:34 PM   #5
houseof many dogs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #854
Interesting topic - we all have an opinion I'm sure. I carry a multi-meter so I can measure AC and DC voltages, check for shorts, opens etc. Also a good tire pressure gauge - dial readout and fluid damped with a range up to 120 psi.
I also carry a set of drill bits and my handy drill doctor bit sharpener.
Since your post, I think I'll add my magnetic pick up tool.

Oh yeah - and DUCT TAPE! LOL
houseof many dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:47 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Take your saw - we bought one once while we were out - can't remember why but we still carry it. All the things everyone else mentioned plus be sure you have a screw driver for the square (Robertson?) screws in the Monty. A set of Allen wrenches also. You will add and subtract as you go along. One thing to remember unless you are boondocking, there is usually a hardware store of some type nearby.
Happy trails............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:49 PM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
You have the cordless drill now get the socket that fits the stabilizer jacks, 3/4 on our Monty. You may need an 1 1/16 socket for the water heater.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:49 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have a long list of tools some where back in my earlier posts, if you choose to go looking for it. I have added some things to it because whatever you have, it ain't what you need for that particular job and so you go buy or rent one. I have a double bladed axe, a spade, and a machette. I put together a kit of the Robertson screws, electrical connectors, elec. tape, teflon tape, plumbers tape, etc.

I found a handy 10-in-one tool I carry in the cab. It has all the driver tips plus several small nut drivers built into it. It saves me having to dig around for the right screwdriver. We added a hot glue gun and have needed it for some minor repairs, mostly cosmetic.

My compressor is too large, but if I can sell it, I may buy a smaller one, like the roofers use to run their nailers. One or two five-ton hydrolic jacks may come in real handy if you should need to lift the rig for any reason. I have probably overwhelmed you enough. Happy RVing...
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:06 AM   #9
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
There is a long list of what each person thinks they need.. when I sold my house I put all my tools on a table and took one of each that I thought I would need and loaded the RV front cargo hole and the box on the truck, when I ran out of room I ran out of tools and then desided what I wanted most and gave the rest to my sons. but have gotten a Drummel and it has a lot of uses.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:06 AM   #10
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Standard tools you would carry for minor work on the tow vehicle, plus rechargeable drill, socket for the water heater, socket for the rear stabalizer struts (used with the drill), good quality torque wrench with socket for the wheel nuts. I have used a small foldable "tree" saw a couple of times, a foldable military-style shovel/pick. Make sure you have the square bits for whatever screw driver set(s) you have. Need them for all the screw heads on the Monty interior and exterior. At least two vise grip "pliers", a multimeter (electrical stuff). Assortment of screws, nuts and bolts. I have too many tools onboard (except when you need "it") so have only had to hit a hardware store a couple of times in 2 1/2 years full timing. Socket for the heater anode rod was one of those items.

Hope all that helps some...
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:13 AM   #11
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Many Thanks to all who have inputted on my tool needs. I do haveall the tools mentioned, now to get them all out of my rollarounds and loaded in the Monty. I was getting pretty close on what I thought was needed, and missed a few items, especially the folding saw, GREAT IDEA!
Rick
Old 01-05-2006, 01:39 PM   #12
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
Rick,
Don’t forget an assortment of short screws, double face tape, Velcro and small tubes of adhesives and Silicone I caulk.

Ed
Bighorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:47 PM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Ed
Good thoughts. I think of tools as Ed's department and the Velcro and double stick tape are mine. I found some commercial grade double stick tape at Staples that is fantastic. They use it to put name plates on buildings. It was a bit expensive but great.
Happy trails.........................
Old 01-05-2006, 04:28 PM   #14
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
A couple of things I would add to whats already been mentioned are coaxial cable, and connectors. I also carry a wedge and a big hammer for splitting wood.
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:18 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Great topic! I'm saving this thread as Cheryl and I are planning to FT in May. This will be a great resource.

Serenity, the splitting wood part... uh, that sounds like work? I'm retired.

BTW, I have done my share of splitting wood. Here's a tip: Don't split wood on the back porch of your chalet in N. MI within 6 feet (actually 10 feet would have been to close) of your sliding plate glass door. Just thought I'd pass that general tip along...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 03:42 AM   #16
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Ed Sue adnMike, Thanks! those are things I hadn't thought of. I'm with Dave on the splitting wood, did enough of that! Us old retired beat up types need our rest now
Thanks for the great input!
Old 01-06-2006, 05:27 AM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
On the coaxial cable suggestion, we carry several lengths with us and the connectors just in case the connection is far away. The same with water hose and sewer hose, several lengths and you can always hook them together. If you are close, it is nice not to have all that extra laying around. While many CG store have these items, they are always more expensive than buying them elsewhere. Don't forget extension cords also (electric). We find we almost always need one for something.
Happy trails..........................
Old 01-06-2006, 09:44 AM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Sue. I would never have thought of coax. How many campgrounds are there that have cable hookups? Do you think this would be warranted in most cases, or are you talking about the ability to move your Sat dish? I know it depends on CGs you frequent vs dry camping, but I would sure like your input. How heavy of ext cords do you usually carry with you?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:03 AM   #19
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
I’ve been to two camp grounds that use female connector for hookup. If you want to hook up to cable you have to pay them an inflated cost for the female to female adapter or you can buy one at Radio Shack for less than a dollar. I have one in the tool box and have had to use it once in New Jersey.
Bighorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:15 AM   #20
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Dave
I would say 75% of the campgrounds we've used over the past 10-12 years have some sort of cable. Most of the time it is included with your CG fee but sometimes it is extra. Some of their own satellite and other are subscription to local cable. We also have Direct TV and carry 50 & 100 ft cables for it. All this fits in the plastic tub called "Hook UP" that also has the water hoses and adapters and the 30 amp electric adapter. We carry one heavy duty outdoor type extension cord and several household type. We have lights that go on the awning so we have a timer that goes on them. These along with the wind chimes, "Blue Bird of Happiness" (wooden bird whose wings twirl - have had since the first 5er), Wind socks, tablecloth and holders, name plaque, etc. are in the plastic tub for "royal" setup (tub use to be purple for royal but is now clear).
Happy trails..................