Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2020, 06:54 PM   #1
KCTractors

M.O.C. #23557
Converter In A 2011-285 RL Mountaineer

I believe the converter went out this week-end while being plugged in at a campground. I thought it was the batteries, charged them up and they tested good.
Who ever thought about putting that converter where they did. It is behind the electrical panel way back by the wall. If you put your arm in the hole you can't see what you are doing.
I was thinking about putting the new converter in the battery compartment. Can I do that?

KCTractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:37 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Can you do that? Sure, but the amount of wire you would need to string makes it more challenging than a simple replacement.

Make sure you don't just have a fuse blown.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:15 PM   #3
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
I’m not familiar with your model, but usually you can remove the rear wall in the basement storage compartment & reach it better.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:52 AM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Going through the back wall of the pass thru compartment (4-6 screws and out it comes) males it much easier to access the converter. It also allows you to bench check the converter (assuming it is a stand alone box and not integrated with the fuse panel). Converter failures are not common. I would want to be very sure it has failed before I just replaced it.

You didn't disconnect the batteries to charge them by chance?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:41 PM   #5
KCTractors

M.O.C. #23557
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTractors View Post
I believe the converter went out this week-end while being plugged in at a campground. I thought it was the batteries, charged them up and they tested good.
Who ever thought about putting that converter where they did. It is behind the electrical panel way back by the wall. If you put your arm in the hole you can't see what you are doing.
I was thinking about putting the new converter in the battery compartment. Can I do that?
I had a Mobile Service Company come out and installed a new converter. The old one was not working.
Service Tech said taking the circuit breaker box out was the only way to get at it. Very poor design to get at fuses on the converter if you needed to.
I told him that maybe we were thinking of getting a new RV, he told me to keep this one, lot less problems. He was the second tech tell me that.
KCTractors is offline   Reply With Quote