Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2020, 06:08 PM   #1
SamCynRich18

M.O.C. #26349
Repairs and Upgrades while replacing roof.

Hello Everyone, we just bought a 2002 3670RL. Unfortunately on the trip cross country to bring it home the roof started bubbling and split with a heavy crosswind. I’ve got a roll of 60 mil TPO from a jobsite I am on and am preparing to replace it. I’m looking for recommendations on vents, skylight, insulation?, etc upgrades or things to check and replace while the membrane is off. I’m very interested in options and opinions because I would rather look into something and get the best results since it’s going to be a long term roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B4F27464-8FBF-4030-9D75-D6628A9E8326.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	6438   Click image for larger version

Name:	B97FA83A-5C8A-4558-A2CA-58D4196A8C94.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	6439   Click image for larger version

Name:	6A49215C-8609-48B3-B34F-1631CBDC242B.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	6440  

SamCynRich18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:31 PM   #2
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Change the ac gasket.
As for vents MaxxFan or Fantastic. Personally I like the maxxfan 7500 with the built in shroud
Change the plumbing vents and the fridge vent if you have one on the roof.
Change the skylight, there is a great guy on eBay that makes smoke pecan skylights for about 50$, better quality than the camping world and half the price.
Since you have a winguard antenna that cranks up you might want to change it to a king jack that doesn’t crank. The crank mech is known for leaks and people forgetting to lower it and taking it off on a bridge or tree.
Otherwise since you will have the old EPDM of check all the decking replace as needed. Make sure to tape the seams between boards.
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:53 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Agree with everything Bleedmichigan recommended. Another television antenna you might consider is the Rayzar z1 Wingard antenna - click here. Our 2019 Montana High Country came factory with one of these. All our previous campers had the traditional crank-up bat wing. The traditional bat wing antenna is hard to beat provided the camper is installed with the power booster.

The only big difference with some of the newer antennas is they are able to find the best signal automatically and you don't have to crank or turn anything. Nice features, but it does require more sophisticated electronics to be installed.

The Wingard Razyar will work seamless with your current existing television set-up and the existing power booster. The Razyar is suppose to be omni-directional, but it can be turned and pointed to fine tune a little better. Actually, mine, I've found it can be pointed pretty much any direction and it pulls stations in fine. Maybe in more remote areas where there may be only one or two television signals coming from a specific location, changing directions may fine tune. But so far, after almost 2 years of ownership with the Razyar, we've never had issues with over-the-air reception.

I'm sure the King Jack is similar. But I don't know if the direction can be changed. But either one is a good alternative if you are wanting to replace your batwing. But other than cranking up and down, and remembering to crank down when leaving the campground, the old style batwings still can't be beat.

Personally, I'd keep the batwing and save that $119 for camp ground fees. For us, Internet service (WIFI) is more important that watching television when camping.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:54 AM   #4
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Agree with everything Bleedmichigan recommended. Another television antenna you might consider is the Rayzar z1 Wingard antenna - click here. Our 2019 Montana High Country came factory with one of these. All our previous campers had the traditional crank-up bat wing. The traditional bat wing antenna is hard to beat provided the camper is installed with the power booster.

The only big difference with some of the newer antennas is they are able to find the best signal automatically and you don't have to crank or turn anything. Nice features, but it does require more sophisticated electronics to be installed.

The Wingard Razyar will work seamless with your current existing television set-up and the existing power booster. The Razyar is suppose to be omni-directional, but it can be turned and pointed to fine tune a little better. Actually, mine, I've found it can be pointed pretty much any direction and it pulls stations in fine. Maybe in more remote areas where there may be only one or two television signals coming from a specific location, changing directions may fine tune. But so far, after almost 2 years of ownership with the Razyar, we've never had issues with over-the-air reception.

I'm sure the King Jack is similar. But I don't know if the direction can be changed. But either one is a good alternative if you are wanting to replace your batwing. But other than cranking up and down, and remembering to crank down when leaving the campground, the old style batwings still can't be beat.

Personally, I'd keep the batwing and save that $119 for camp ground fees. For us, Internet service (WIFI) is more important that watching television when camping.
The Kink Jack is pretty much the same as the Razyar, it can have the direction changed and it has a signal finder built into it. It’s an easy direct replacement for the batwing. My gripe with the batwing is simple with the rubber boots over the coax it’s just another place that can and does leak plus it’s not something you can just coat in dicor. I’d agree about internet access but if we are out in the middle of no where I have yet to find anything that will help with zero cell service otherwise we always have had good luck with our smart phones as hot spots.
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:57 AM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
If you are even thinking about solar, go ahead and install an MC4 compatible roof gland or junction box depending on how many solar panels you can handle. The new Montanas are pre wired with 10 gauge wire for solar. This can handle 30A. I would go 8 or 6 gauge if I was doing it from scratch.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote