Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2020, 10:10 AM   #1
Lucky23
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18031
Auto Generator Start Opinions

Has anyone ever installed
Magnum Energy ME-AGS-S Auto Generator Start
on a Onan 5500 lp genset.
Looking for opinions for our boondocking setup.

Here's the link
https://www.donrowe.com/Magnum-Energ...p/me-ags-s.htm

Old 06-01-2020, 12:12 PM   #2
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
ME-AGS on Onan 6500
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:19 PM   #3
Lucky23
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18031
Thanks PNW How do you like the performance any problems, my main concern would be it not starting while we're away from unit during the day.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #4
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
So in my case I originally went this route for our dog. As you are aware the Magnum AGS has multiple startup criteria options. In our case I set it to auto strut on temperature inside the coach. It is configured to start 1F above the thermostat temp for the AC set point. Since installing solar and lithium we don’t use the generator in the same fashion. It does work and works well I using temp. I can address the other startup criteria. If you are using a BMK I am experiencing some differences between the BMK parameters and my ARC-50 parameters.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:50 AM   #5
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
So in my case I originally went this route for our dog. As you are aware the Magnum AGS has multiple startup criteria options. In our case I set it to auto strut on temperature inside the coach. It is configured to start 1F above the thermostat temp for the AC set point. Since installing solar and lithium we don’t use the generator in the same fashion. It does work and works well I using temp. I can address the other startup criteria. If you are using a BMK I am experiencing some differences between the BMK parameters and my ARC-50 parameters.

I've also looked into this option. We have a 2020 Legacy 3813ms with the small solar flex package, 265w panel with 5 inverted outlets. We've thought about adding autostart to ours for boondocking but not for running the AC so much as to recharge the batteries if they ever get drawn too low and the solar can't keep up. The option to run the AC's is also intriguing though. We haven't gone Lithium yet but are thinking of doing so, probably 200ah. A couple of questions what did you find your solar/lithium needs to be? I know it's different for everyone but just wondering. Secondly, how much has the autostart impacted your ability to explore different areas. Lastly is it reliable in your experience?
Lakelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:42 AM   #6
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
With regards to my needs I think the best way to answer your inquiry is to say that I want to be able to run anything I want at anytime. That being said I am planning out a version 2.0 of our current deployment. My current system is documented in my signature. I intend to add another 800 watts minimum of solar to a second PV array on a second charge controller. I intend to convert our lithium battery pack to 24 vdc and upgrade my single 3000 watt hybrid inverter to two 5000 watt hybrid inverters.
Lastly, for me the AGS is another tool allowing me to obtain my above stated objective. I have changed the AGS programming to start on low SOC. We would never reach that SOC unless there were significant no sun days. In my calculations I have allotted for this as a reserve capacity if you will.
If we did not have a lithium battery bank I think the AGS would be an integral part of any design I had. The AGS essentially negates the comparably long absorption phase of charging FLA batteries via solar chargers. In addition with a modestly sized PV array like the size you mentioned an alternate charging means is a necessity. The AGS adds a degree of convenience to that level of necessity.