Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2020, 05:07 PM   #21
Starman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23643
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
If you are seeing trains stop by Roanoke Va and see our 911. It was built right here in the N&W shops, now Norfolk and Southern. It weighs almost a million pounds fully loaded and will pull a passenger train at 110 MPH. It’s an awesome machine fully restored. It’s in the transportation museum. And while you are here check out the Blueridge Parkway. It’s worth seeing too. In fact I think a must see.
Lynwood
Agreed, I’ve seen em!
Some great campgrounds and train rides in Maryland and lower Pa.
Me and the wife have been seeking campgrounds and train rides for years.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:23 PM   #22
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
If it hasn't been mentioned before. You can ride the train from Williams Airzona to the Grand Canyon. There is a RV park right next to where they park the train. Very cool.
About 12-14 yrs ago we rode this train with 2 g-sons 9-12 yrs old. They had entertainment provided for kids. On the way back there was a "train robbery", very entertaining and exciting for the kids AND us as well. Also at night in downtown Williams they had a lot of Cowboys walking around and then they had a shootout. Great time for all. Have no idea if they still do this but check with Chamber of Commerce. Campground was very nice, also downtown.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:19 AM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
My wife and I rode an excursion train several years ago. The thing I remember is there was a car in front of us with about a hundred third graders on it. When lunch time came they all got out their peanut butter and jelly sandwich. That will is what we smelled until lunch was over. That made the trip for us.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #24
Carguy1965
Established Member

M.O.C. #22777
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
If you are seeing trains stop by Roanoke Va and see our 911. It was built right here in the N&W shops, now Norfolk and Southern. It weighs almost a million pounds fully loaded and will pull a passenger train at 110 MPH. It’s an awesome machine fully restored. It’s in the transportation museum. And while you are here check out the Blueridge Parkway. It’s worth seeing too. In fact I think a must see.
Lynwood

Hey folks, Just a little FYI here the Engine MLH is referring to is N&W 611, not 911. Folks start googling it they will find something very different. It is one of the most amazing machines ever built by man as far as I am concerned. Currently at the NC Transportation Museum close to Charlotte NC.

2016 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
Carguy1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:46 PM   #25
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
I live in San Antonio, Texas. I elk hunted in the Chama many years back in the late 80's-90's, usually the first season (bugling season). Chama is absolutely gorgeous that time of year. DW had never been to that part of the country so a couple of years ago we went up through Las Cruces, Santa Fe, and spent about 10 days in Chama in October. The Cumbres & Toltec train ride is not to be missed, IMHO. Folks literally come from all over the world to ride that train. There is an RV park at the train station area, but it is not near as nice as Sky Mountain which is a very short drive south of Chama. The park is owned by a couple from AZ if memory serves. She is a nurse and he is a maintenance worker at the hospital she works at. Really nice folks. Story they told me was they came through Chama on a motorcycle trip many years ago and fell in love with the area. They bought the property which borders the Chama River so you can fish while you are there. Very clean, well maintained park, reasonable cost. They open up sometime in late spring and we closed the park down on Oct 31. Chama gets a lot of snow in the winter. We actually got snowed on one day while we were there. Most of the local shops and restaurants stay open until Oct 31, but not many folks except for train riders. There is a Lowe's Grocery store in Chama that carries pretty much everything you would need, but getting RV repair there would be tough-I think the closest RV repair would be in Santa Fe, but there are a couple of Auto Parts shops and garages. On the park owner's recommendation we took the bus from Chama to Antonito and rode the train back to Chama. They said the view was better on that route vs. Chama to Antonito. Even late in the year the train books up well in advance in all classes so I would advise reservations well in advance. I did that and my DW was ill the day we were scheduled to go but the train staff let us use our tickets another day. If you want more information you can PM me. As I write this I can't wait to go back! As I said, October is beautiful there-the "quakkies" (aspen trees) are all turning and the weather is cool. If you go late October be prepared for a freeze-it could happen.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 02:12 PM   #26
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy1965 View Post
Hey folks, Just a little FYI here the Engine MLH is referring to is N&W 611, not 911. Folks start googling it they will find something very different. It is one of the most amazing machines ever built by man as far as I am concerned. Currently at the NC Transportation Museum close to Charlotte NC.

Thanks. I thought she was up here in our transportation museum. She is the 611 and one amazing machine. Imagine a almost million pound steam fired machine traveling at 110 mph. When is she coming home?
When I was a kid my father would take us over on our neighbors property where we could watch the trains Sunday afternoon. It was on a high hill and we could hear them coming way before we could see them. They crossed a long high bridge when they came into sight and then by us. At that time the Virginian RR was using electric engines. They came by us to. Electric engines were discontinued over 55 years ago. The N&W was the last major RR to quit using steam engines. Their main freight was coal and to support coal they used it.
Thanks again
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:37 PM   #27
mhutchi
Established Member

M.O.C. #20888
train rides

If you are looking for a great outing, try Big South Fork scenic railway in KY. You take a short 30 minute ride which includes entertainment, visit one of the last operating coal town/mining museums and then return. It usually includes a hold up reenactment also. Lots of camping in that area.
mhutchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:47 AM   #28
DemLin
Established Member

M.O.C. #13345
Google Heston Steam Museum. It's near the Michigan/Indiana border and has 3 different gauge railroads that you can ride along with some old time farm equipment.
DemLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #29
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Here is one in Central Texas. We rode it a few times while 786 was still running.
They also have themed rides for different holidays.

https://www.austinsteamtrain.org/the-train/locomotives/
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:11 PM   #30
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
In Chiliquin, OR, check Train Mountain. This is the trains you sit on and they seem like a large toy until you begin to check them out. A VERY IMPRESSIVE PLACE with equally impressive people.
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote