Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #21
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Had a bad black tank, it was just replaced. After using Scott 1000 for five years when the tank was opened up the inside almost looked new. We will keep using Scott 1000 for the next five years.

helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #22
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Different parts of the country must be selling older batches of Angel Soft. The stuff we're getting is still the new, non-breaking down type.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #23
Red939
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7928
We are presently on the Gulf Coast, several Wal Marts still have the AS that says it is "septic safe."
Red939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #24
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Check closely does it safe "conventional septic tank"? Are RVs holding tanks considered "conventional"? I noted that our AS stated "conventional". Just wondering.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #25
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
OK folks!!!

Today I decided to do a comparison test for myself and a shake test of the new and old AS.

The new square dry next to the old version does appear to be a tad thicker and softer, hence the new packaging "New 2X stronger- with softshield layers.

Both sheets were then put in identical jars, same amount of water, left for 30 minutes to soak and each then given a shake 6 times.

I got to tell ya I can't seem to see a difference!!! Left them, then another look, then another look,and Maureen now thinks I have a new fetish for toilet paper!!! Sooooo together we put them through the same stainer resulting in the same broken up pieces a the end.

I just don't know folks, I just don't see it, I've got to get a life other than staring at sheets of toilet paper, COME ON SPRING!!!!

2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:53 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
[quote]Originally posted by DarMar

OK folks!!!

Today I decided to do a comparison test for myself and a shake test of the new and old AS.

The new square dry next to the old version does appear to be a tad thicker and softer, hence the new packaging "New 2X stronger- with softshield layers.

Both sheets were then put in identical jars, same amount of water, left for 30 minutes to soak and each then given a shake 6 times.

I got to tell ya I can't seem to see a difference!!! Left them, then another look, then another look,and Maureen now thinks I have a new fetish for toilet paper!!! Sooooo together we put them through the same stainer resulting in the same broken up pieces a the end.

I just don't know folks, I just don't see it, I've got to get a life other than staring at sheets of toilet paper, COME ON SPRING!!!!

yep we did the same test and posted it here on this thread.Saw no difference. Got some single ply Scott and do not like the single ply if you know what I mean and you just use twice as much.We have always used a brand that said septic tank safe and got stuck on AS. We see no issue and will continue with AS.End of TP issue.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #27
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It's not the end for me. I'm going to find something that resembles the old AS tp. The old AS tp used to break up the moment you began to shake it in a glass of water. Didn't have to put it in a glass and wait...and wait...and wait. I've tested this stuff enough to know what breaks down and what doesn't. I want it to break down with the firs shakes of the glass of water. Will keep on trying.

Orv
Old 01-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #28
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
You know what puzzles me is when do we shake our Montanas while we are parked? Except possibly at night---you know "when the trailers a rock'n........! Unless we don't empty the black tank before leaving the CG is the only time the black tank would be shaken while you are on the roll to the next CG. Why do we use the shake test? As I've said and many others have said here on the forum, we've done the shake test on both the OLD and the NEW Angel Soft and see no difference. The sheets don't break down instantly but after sitting for a half hour or so both NEW and OLD performed the same in the shake test. Of course, how long does your TP sit and soak in the black tank before you dump and flush your tanks? This is another pertainent question!

Orv-- If you would like some of the "old" version let me know and I'll send you a couple of squares for your comparison test. We're on the road and happen to have several rolls of the "old" here in the Monte at the present time. But hurry, who knows how long it will last! Just drop me a PM with your address and I'll drop them in the mail!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:16 AM   #29
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Thanks for the offer of "test tp" but I'll say no thanks, don't send me any. I'm puzzled as to what many may think is the "old version" of AS. The old version would break up almost immediately upon being put in water. If you put a sheet in a glass of water and swished the water around, the paper would break up and become part of the water. The new stuff will not do that. That's what my major complaint was. I find no need to continue to test the same stuff over and over. I'm now looking for something better. I will continue to look for a better product.

Orv
Old 01-09-2013, 02:45 AM   #30
teames27
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1921
What a funny topic! Thanks for the entertainment ! I now know waaay more about some of you than I ever wanted to ha ha #128563;
teames27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:26 AM   #31
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
I mentioned earlier that AS did not break up when I tried the shake test. We changed over to Scott but had two rolls of AS left over. We decided, that since we had no problem in the past, we would use them up with a roll of Scott in between. Yesterday, I drained the black tank and watched through the clear connection. I could not see any difference between the two types of paper as they drained from the tank. Both seemed to be equally broken up. I do fill the black tank with water until it reaches just below the bowl in the bathroom before I dump.

I suspect that draining the tank regularly (We full time so its every week to ten days for us) with a tank full of water will flush most anything you will use. Having said that I'm not willing to risk some of the heavier ply brands.

Rich, I think with your description of Scott you could call it "John Wayne TP" - It's rough and it's tough and it don't take no crap off anyone.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:47 AM   #32
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Now THAT'S FUNNY!
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #33
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
as long as it is non-skid.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:53 AM   #34
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It seems as though the entire gist of the post about original AS tp is that the original sheets broke up so rapidly that you would never see any tp residue coming out at dump time. That was the whole point. I could care less about the jocular vein this post has taken but I still have yet to see any tp that matched up with original AS. A few years back when it was discovered how readily AS broke down, everyone was on the bandwagon to use AS. Now I don't recommend it any more.

Orv
Old 01-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #35
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Orv may be correct. We do not do the shake test on a regular basses so never noted any difference and never had a clumping problem.Now the AS we use is double ply and the scott was single ply so of course the scott did better on the shake test. We are not brand loyal so will buy any brand that says septic safe and cost less.We have not had a problem..ever... with clumping.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote