Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2017, 06:09 AM   #1
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Fresh water tank

How do you clean the fresh water tank? The only way to put water into the fresh water tank is through the city water supply by turning a knob allowing water to transfer back to the tank. There is a vent where the fill spout used to be where you could add a little bleach to clean the tank.

So how do you sanitize the tank to keep it fresh?

Dixie Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:48 AM   #2
Stump Jumper 58
Established Member

M.O.C. #19692
Send a message via AIM to Stump Jumper 58 Send a message via MSN to Stump Jumper 58
Slide the vent cover upwards and you can still pour your sanitizing bleach right in.
Stump Jumper 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:54 AM   #3
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Fresh water tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump Jumper 58 View Post
Slide the vent cover upwards and you can still pour your sanitizing bleach right in.
Thanks, that is easy enough.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:21 AM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Some models have the vent glued shut, I believe.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
kc8lvy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19861
I add a 1/3 cup of clorine bleach right in the hose then fill the tank. Sanitizes hose and tank at the same time.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:24 PM   #6
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Fresh water tank

The wife and I put 2-1/2 cups of bleach in the garden hose and hooked it to the camper. Turned the knob that directs the flow of water to the fresh water tank an filled it to 3/4. Then I turned the pump on and flushed the hot water tank and lines and the cold water side in the kitchen and bathroom. After running it down to 1/4 I filled it back to 3/4 again and now it is sitting. I will go out and drain the fresh water tank sometime this evening and put fresh water back into the tank.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #7
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
You might need to flush your tank again to get the bleach smell out. If you are not drinking it you should me ok but 2 and one half cups is quite a bit of bleach. It won't hurt it but the last time i flushed mine i used about a cup and a half and and it left quite a bit of smell. I just wonder how many people don't flush at all.I don't drink my water but i still like bacteria free water when taking a shower.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:22 AM   #8
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8lvy View Post
I add a 1/3 cup of clorine bleach right in the hose then fill the tank. Sanitizes hose and tank at the same time.
This is how I had to do it as our Vent cover is glued on from the factory.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:04 PM   #9
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
You might need to flush your tank again to get the bleach smell out. If you are not drinking it you should me ok but 2 and one half cups is quite a bit of bleach. It won't hurt it but the last time i flushed mine i used about a cup and a half and and it left quite a bit of smell. I just wonder how many people don't flush at all.I don't drink my water but i still like bacteria free water when taking a shower.
We bought this camper last March and we are finding out the previous owner did nothing as far as maintaining the unit. That's the reason we used so much bleach as the smell was strong coming out of the water at the tap. I flushed the tank twice before deciding to wait a while before flushing again. I really believe this was a repo unit because the things we found wrong with it after purchase would have made it unusable. The dealership we bought it from did little if anything to prepare it for a new owner.

When we bought it we trusted the dealership that all systems were good to go but found out there were some major problems with the gray water and black water gate valves. I guess they thought we were going to buy an extended warranty which would have covered the problems, but we didn't. After a lot of going back and forth we finally got it repaired.

We found the interior threshold door hand rail gone. The mattress was missing in the bedroom. The floor in the bathroom was burned because the heated floor element was defective and would over heat. This is only the second time I have bought a used camper and will never do it again.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:17 PM   #10
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
I use Sodium Dichlor, sim to this approach http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...sodium+dichlor

Very economical andit has done great so far.

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:26 PM   #11
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
[QUOTE=mjammersc;1065660]I use Sodium Dichlor, sim to this approach http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...sodium+dichlor

Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:13 PM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I have a spare whole house water filter canister and I put the bleach in it and then pump it into the fresh water tank and normally fill it at least 3/4 full. I then run the water pump to get the chlorinated water through all the lines. I do have the water heater bypass on so it doesn't go into the water heater and open the hot water faucets also until I smell the chlorinated water. I let it sit for at least a half but normally a full hour then dump the fresh water tank and them put some baking soda into the filter canister to help remove the chlorine smell faster. I fill the tank once again and the lines and then let it set for an hour or so. Dump the tank and lines again and either fill the tank partway and the lines again. If I still smell the chlorine I just fill the tank and lines again with regular city hookup water and let it set about 15-20 minutes and then dump again. Usually-- it is clear of the smell and it's good to go.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote