Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Someone's now making a ton of $$$

(From AAA's Fuelgaugereport.com site 7/20/08)

Check out the rapidly increasing price spread - largest in over a year (read "profit for someone") between what we are paying at the pumps and the wholesale cost of fuel...

Just when I thought I could go to bed without something disturbing my sleep...

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:20 AM   #2
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Dave,

Thanks for posting that graph. It is a great illustration on how many owners of stations are taking advantage of the situation and jacking their price per gal way out of proportion. I realize, respect, and defend that we live in a capitalistic country and that supply and demand influences the price consumers are charged. However, to stick it to your customer base just because you can leaves a bitter taste in many mouths and, I think, tends to erode customer loyalty.

The buzz around our little Island is how fuel prices per gallon in neighboring Georgia have sky rocketed. Historically, because they tax their fuel less than Florida, a gallon cost on average twenty cents less a gallon in Georgia than in Florida. From Savannah south to the State Line that is no longer true for many to most stations, especially those along the Interstate. In both States, the lowest price per gallon is the same. On occasion, in Georgia you might find a station charging one or tow cents less.

This past weekend we drove into Jacksonville and saw some stations charging .10 to .20 more per gallon for diesel than the lowest priced station. Go figure!?!
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:07 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Joe, I'm not quite sure who's making this big increase in profit. It seems to be either the actual station owners or the wholesalers? However it is evident that someone is realizing a nice fat windfall - and getting bigger by the looks of it.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:36 AM   #4
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Station owners are not getting rich on fuel they are selling. After being in managment for stations and quick shops,(retired now) that sell gas. I know they are not making a lot of money. They are paying a high cost for the fuel that goes in their underground tanks! Gotta blame someone else. What cost to fill those tanks has gone up and up and up to over several thousand dollars for a fuel delivery.
Also fuel theft's are up, people fill up and drive off.
Dusty
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:46 AM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I agree Dusty that I would never want to own a gas station. I'm just trying to get a fix here on what is happening. This graph is posted by AAA on their website with no explanation. That change that is going on between wholesale and retail is increasing exponentially. Where is it going? Certainly not in the consumer's pockets. Probably not to the station owner. Then who is getting it? The graph is pretty clear.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:57 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Its always the same story, no one is making any money. And in most places there are more gas stations than any other business? I do know the Government makes a ton of money off taxes, and read yesterday they want to raise the tax on gas and Diesel. Not enough revnue going to the Government, people not driving as much because of the cost of fuel? So their answer is raise taxes. Really makes a lot of sense. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:22 AM   #7
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Every time the cost goes up the station owners have to pay more to fill their underground tanks. I believe Saudi Arabia, and whereever our oil is coming from, are the ones getting rich and the speculators in trading.
Congress is also making a ton of money off fuel prices. In a round about way.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:04 AM   #8
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
How about the banks??? Most people use a credit or debit card, including myself. Heard a report on TV the other day that the banks get up to 3% on each credit card transaction. Some stations have resorted to cash only to give their customers a discount.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
What I notice is that when the price of gas goes up it is a quick response at the pumps. They certainly don’t waste their time on raising the price but when the price goes down they seem to be very slow to lower it at the pumps.