Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Another towing method.

Ever seen anything like this before?

My apologies if this has already been posted but I thought it was interesting. What brand of fifth wheel is it anyway?

Old 07-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I have never seen or heard anything about this thing. It is an interesting idea. But man that overhang is sure narrow. Not near enough room to stand up! If there is a bed in there it must be a bear to make up!

OK... Let's say we've checked into the RV park and are at our site. How would we turn the car around to be pushing the thing into our site? Most RV park access roads are far to narrow to allow the car to turn around to push the trailer into position. But pushing would be really nice and easy once you got it turned around.

The trailer looked really old.... like something out of the 60s or 70's? Oh, well. It was fun.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
I'd like to see the support system under the roof of that Suburban.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Reminds me of a story about a monkey and a football. g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:19 AM   #5
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Dennis, you're absolutely right. It was made in the early 70's. The Suburban looks to be a 72 or 3: I'm sure someone knows. Anyhow, I lived in South Bend, IN for about 60 years and had various truck driving jobs delivering stuff to various RV manufacturers in Elkhart and surrounding areas. I saw one of those things "live and in person" at one of the county fairs in that area. I don't think many were sold. I've not been to the RV museum yet, but there may be one in there.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:48 AM   #6
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I saw one of these things back in the late 60's, was called a Phantom system and was designed to fit on a car top. They were very dangerous as the tops would collapse under load and caused some horrific wrecks. I have to admit it looked very cool, until you looked closely.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:31 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
And I would get claustrophobic in that cab-over... That Suburban is hard to judge the date on because I see it has an apparent rust spot on it's rear quarter panel. That particular model began rusting right on the showroom floor...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
In the 70's, there were several mfg's in Europe that used the smaller "Caravans" and sedans. It was mildly popular at that time. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Thanks Bob,

I appreciate the information and good to know that someone actually saw one in person!

So are you folks home? Hope you had a great trip. It sure was great seeing you both!

See you on down the road.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:20 AM   #10
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
We are home, Dennis. We spent several days on Vancouver Island then went over to the mainland and got on the Trans-Canada Highway. It rained on us nearly every day for about three weeks. Couldn't see the tops of the mountains for the rain and fog. We got as far as Moose Jaw and decided to go home. I called my sister in Peterborough and she said the weather wasn't much better there so we gave it up. Did see Doug & Sharon and Michael & Renee in an RV park we stayed in. See you down the road. Safe travels.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote