Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
What are you reading?

I'd love to get some great book recommendations. If you have read or are reading a good book....what is it? BTW, I just finished "The Shack" by William Young. An awesome read. The next one that I want to read is "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch. If you've read either of these, I'd be interested in your opinion.
Sandy

slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Currently reading "The Appeal" by John Grisham. Also just finished "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive" from the series of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. Smith is a professor emeritus of Medical Law at the University of Edinburgh, Scotland. He writes a good story about people in Africa. It is entertaining.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
I haven't read much of Grisham's lately. But I do like his work. Are you enjoying The Appeal?
The Shack was very thought provoking. About a man who spends a weekend with God. Best book I've
read in a while.
Sandy
Old 06-06-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
I am j ust really getting into it. I find with Grisham, there are a lot of twists and turns and the end results are not always what you expect. It does keep you going, I just need a few uninterupted hours!!! The Shack sounds interesting. I will have to see if the library has it when I am done with this one.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:29 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm reading the MOC forum, does that count?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:19 AM   #6
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Let's see. Not much at the moment, but I want to get the book out by Jan Karon, Home to Holly Hills. She wrote the Mitford Series, which I loved! I like John Grisham too. I haven't read The Appeal. I am currently reading the book of Daniel.
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Just finished "Collapse" by Jared Diamond. If you liked his "Guns, Germs, and Steel" this is a good choice.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm currently reading "BROTHERS, the Hidden History of the Kennedy Years." It purports to describe what RFK found out about his brother's assasination. I can't attest to accuracy but it is interesting reading. Supposedly much of the information is from interviews and from relatively recent releases of documents via the Freedom of Information Act.

One book I'll never forget grabbed me from the very first paragraph and would not let go until the last paragraph. Intensity, by Dean Koontz. I don't like all his books but this one is excellent.

Vicki is reading Angels and Demons, by Dan Brown. That's another book I thoroughly enjoyed.

I'm really into historical fiction and have read many I very much enjoyed. One I actually read twice is The Kent Family Chronicles, which starts in Europe a couple hundred years ago and follows the family to modern times. If you decide to read this series, be sure you have some time. It's seven volumes, totaling about 5,000 pages.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #9
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
I have now finished "The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. He is the Carnegie Mellon professor who is dying of pancreatic cancer. The book is written as a memoir of his life and is a very good book. Diane Sawyer interviewed him not too long
ago on 60 Minutes. He is quite a remarkable, intelligent and funny man. I recommend this book, too. Tammy, is the Home to Holly Hills book also a mystery?

Now, I've got to get to the library and find some of these recommendations that you've made. Thanks again.
Sandy
Old 06-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #10
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Sandy, I don't know. I have some friends in a Prayer Group who were talking about it. I read her Mitford Series and fell in love with that! Next time I head to Anchorage, I'll have to stop by Barnes & Noble.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:57 PM   #11
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
Don't miss "A walk in the woods" and "Marley and me". They both had me laughing out loud. "Tuesdays with Morrie" is a wonderful read that will make you look at life a different way. For lighter reading, anything by John D. MacDonald if you can find them. I have the complete collection now through the magic of Ebay.
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #12
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
I've read Marley. Loved that book!!! So funny-and we have a Lab so I think we've experienced alot of that same stuff. I've also read Tuesday's with Morrie but it was awhile ago.
Sandy
Old 06-08-2008, 05:33 PM   #13
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
I'm reading "Simple Genius" by David Baldacci. Just started it, so no opinion yet.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:03 AM   #14
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
I've heard alot about the Baldacci books. Started to read one but couldn't get into it so I put it down and have not tried another one yet. Have you read other books of his, Pam? Maybe I just chose a slow starter!
Sandy
Old 06-09-2008, 02:14 PM   #15
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
We've both read all the Baldacci books (except Stone Cold - waiting for it to come out in paperback) and have really enjoyed them. We read them in the order that he wrote them ... not on purpose, just happened that way ... maybe that made a difference. Pam - did you read The Camel Club? It's kinda the "prequel" to Simple Genius (Stone Cold is the "sequel" to Simple Genius).

We've also enjoyed Grisham's books - haven't read The Appeal yet, waiting for the paperback.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #16
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Well, I read 2 or 3 books a week, so I better not list the ones I've read recently. (Note - I don't watch TV more than 2 to 3 hours a week, at most.)
Books are like family to me, so I tend to hoard them. This will have to change once we hit the road fulltime.
I have a rented 10' x 20' climate-controlled storage shed full of boxed books from front to back and top to bottom. I know - obsessive overkill!! I plan on having a yard/book sale this summer with about 1,500 titles for sale so, if you're near western Pennsylvania, stop in and load up! I need to get rid of these books to get "decluttered" before Montana-time.
It's gonna be painful .
Keep on readin'!!
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good news for you, Larry! Well, maybe not if you like to hoard the books. Many rv parks have a book exchange where you can drop some off and take some out (to keep or return). We usually end up dropping off more than we take out but we've run across some good books this way. We don't have the room to hoard them so use these book exchanges whenver we can.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #18
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
My favorite author is Diana Gabaldon, I have read all of her books several times and now that I have discovered Audible.com I have downloaded all of her unabridged titles so I can listen to them while driving on my MP3 player. Her series is the Outlander Series. it is great if you like 18th century Scottish history. It involves a small bit of accidental time travel but it covers adventure, mystery, romance, and a lot of dead on history, starting in the 1946 and going back to 1740. So far there are 6 books in the series and more to come. In the last book they were in NC just prior to the Revolution in 1776. Very good read, I turned Betsy on to these books and last year we sat for 6 weeks reading all six. Some folks like audio books some don't but I do and now have at least a dozen and a half titles including 68 hours of War and Piece. (hated it)... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:03 PM   #19
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Gosh, I am loving all of these suggestions. I've heard of the Outlander series but haven't read any of them yet. Not into the time travel thing and always hated history in school. I will look into these books and bring the ones that I have already read to the rally and hope that we can work out some wonderful trades. I have the Time Travelers Wife, but that's another one that I started and couldn't finish. Does anyone else do that? If I can't get into the book-I don't waste my time reading it. Tho, I've heard so many great reviews of the Time Travelers Wife. I've read most of Jodi Piccoult's books and loved them.
Sandy
Old 06-21-2008, 08:25 AM   #20
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Just came back from a week cruise and I read two of the books suggested here while sipping wine sitting on the deck of the vessel while it sailed upon a calm, moonlit Caribbean Sea. "Me and Marley" and "Tuesdays With Morrie". I enjoyed both very much. My wife has just started "Three Cups of Tea", the story of Greg Mortenson and his mission to build schools in impoverished tribal areas of Pakistan. Already she is engrossed so it must been good.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote