Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
dig dog

M.O.C. #8187
What truck to use

Hey I've got an easy one. I currently have a 2000 Montana 5th wheel 3670. I bought a 1986 chevy 1ton to pull it to the lake. However I am looking to buy a better tow truck to be able to do some traveling. What do you guys drive and what would you suggest to use? I cant buy a new truck but what about a desiel or gas, what would or do drive? Do you have any regrets or would you change or do anything different? Let me know. Thanks Harold "Bigdog" Jones.

dig dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Harold, welcome to MOC! Get ready for answers galore. Sure, your question is an easy one, just like asking, "Which of your three children is your favorite?"

With that said, if your tow vehicle is in shape and you're a weekender as we are, keep the Chevy. I don't regret owning a Diesel powered vehicle due to the benefits in durability and torque but I would have purchased a 1 ton dually had I known I was going to be a Montana owner.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Harold,
I pulled my 2955RL from Colorado to Yuma, AZ this past Jan with our old 1992 Chevy 454 gas 4X4 crew cab 1 ton dual rear wheels. It did just fine on the level straight aways. When it came to hills it really didn't have enough power/torque. It got about 6 to 7 mpg. I felt it was just to much for the old truck and I was asking for problems if I continued to tow the Monty on long trips with it.
So I ended up getting a diesel truck. I have towed only about 60 miles with it. Not really enough to give a good reading for mpg. However the power of the diesel truck is so much more than the old gas. No problem with the hills in Colorado. I know at the price of diesel some have floated the idea of going back to gas. I think this may be tongue in cheek though. If you are interested in another truck I would certainly give serious consideration to a diesel.
JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Hi Harold,

I agree with Jolu. I am pulling a 2955RL also. My gross dry weight is only 9380. You are pulling a heayier load. I pull with a 1999 Dodge Ram Sport, short bed 5.9 24-value Cummins Turbo Diesel. I get around 12 to 12.5 miles per gallon. It is a 5 speed stick transmission. Everyone says drive an automatic, it is so much more easier. Well, I save my truck breaks by down shifting coming down a steep grade. The floor shift does take up a little room, but I enjoy the shifting and can shift gears when I want to, not when the computer shifts. To be honest, I think I am probably only getting around 11 to 11.5 miles per gallon now. Every time we go on the road, my wife seems to find something else we need to carry. I know I am overweight, afraid to get on the scales. The new diesels are very quiet. Change is very hard to do and I would buy another diesel.
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:33 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We have the diesel Silverado 2500HD. Love the truck, get about 10 mpg towing Monty, 20 mpg without. Takes a lot of driving to pay for the diesel, but it is much better on torque and towing. Get what you want and enjoy it.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:51 PM   #6
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Dig Dog.
Welcome to MOC. Any of the big three diesels will do a fine job. We have had good luck with our Ford F250 4x4 diesel. We are also from Colorado and pull over the mountains, often. Just find the truck that fits your needs the best.
Happy Camping,
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:25 AM   #7
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Well my user name probably gives away what brand I have and the diesel sure comes in handy when pulling a long ways or thru the hills. If I had it to do over again I would probably end up with what I am driving now. I might not get the 4:10 gears with the DRW next time a I don't pull thru the hills that much and from what I have read here and listening to others the 3.73's would probably be fine with a diesel engine. Before I went diesel I had a 454 and 4.10's and the mileage alone was enough to sell me on diesel.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:22 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would agree with Ron on the gears. We had to purchase out of dealer stock and could only find the 4:10 in the truck configuration we required. Although a pain in the butt we would stay with the dually.The Ford and I am sure the others have plenty of power in any enviroment with the 3:73 gear and it will pick up a MPG or 2.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:03 AM   #9
TMerrell
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7988
BigDog, that is the $50,000 question. Lots of variables. The Keystone website shows the 1999 and 2001 3670 has a hitch weight of 2100 pounds dry. (For some reason the 2000 was not listed.) Suggest you check your actual weights loaded to help decide which "size" truck to get. You might exceed a 3/4 ton trucks capacity (or at least be right at it). As far as gas vs diesel, you won't be disappointed with diesel (except the current $ per gallon). But, depending on where you travel and how much, a gas truck can work.

My signature shows what we have. I think the main thing is to match the trailer, truck capacity, and useage vs cost, and go with what is right for you. One other consideration is what will you do in the future? A bigger rig or more traveling could swing your decision toward the diesel.
TMerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:34 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
dig dog, My advice would be to get the biggest truck you can afford. You never know when you will want to upgrade to a larger unit and life is a lot easier when you don't have to buy a new TV. I wish someone had told me this.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:46 AM   #11
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Darn good advice Phil. When I got mine I made sure to order every option to increase towing capacity including the 4.3 gears. I'd do the same again because as you said you never know when you might want something bigger. As it is a one ton dully is not wildly over spec for the bigger rigs.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:22 AM   #12
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Before we bought our 3400 everyone told me to buy the trailer first and than you'll know what kind of TV you'll need.
Not knowing what trailer I was going to end up with I went ahead and bought a crewcab 1 ton Diesel dually and than went out trailer shopping,it was the best decision I ever made.
With only 1500 miles on the new TV we finally took the trailer out this past weekend for it's shakedown cruise,I was so impressed with the TV,I couldn't believe the Torque and the mileage I was getting.Mileage was a little over 12 mpg and that's with only 1500 miles on the truck,I told the DW before we left that I'd be happy if we got 10 mpg.
I agree with everyone that says,buy the biggest you can afforded you won't regret it.
Jack
P.S.
The New Monty checked out perfect!
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:19 AM   #13
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

Before we bought our 3400 everyone told me to buy the trailer first and than you'll know what kind of TV you'll need.
Not knowing what trailer I was going to end up with I went ahead and bought a crewcab 1 ton Diesel dually and than went out trailer shopping,it was the best decision I ever made.
With only 1500 miles on the new TV we finally took the trailer out this past weekend for it's shakedown cruise,I was so impressed with the TV,I couldn't believe the Torque and the mileage I was getting.Mileage was a little over 12 mpg and that's with only 1500 miles on the truck,I told the DW before we left that I'd be happy if we got 10 mpg.
I agree with everyone that says,buy the biggest you can afforded you won't regret it.
Jack
P.S.
The New Monty checked out perfect!
Good advice...big trailer needs big truck. It's not the towing ability, they'll all pull fine, but the ability of the truck to handle the heavy pin weight.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote