Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
Rick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8298
Hitch pins?

Hello All,
I am new to this MOC site. But find it very intresting as I am in the process of buying a 3485SA for a full timeing it in. or the new Aniverisy model.
I have a brand new 08 Chevy 3500HD SWD Duramax/Allison sitting in the driveway. What I am intrested in now is what is the better Hitch pin and receiver to purchess for the Montana.
Thanks Rick

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:52 AM   #2
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Are you talking about a 5th wheel hitch or a receiver for a travel trailer? I am not much help with the receiver type hitches as we have a 5th wheel. But if you are looking at t 5th wheel hitch we have one made by RBW and it has performed well over the past 10 years. We have had it sandblasted and re-painted once over the years but the lock mechanism works great and there is no doubt when it is locked. If you have a short box you will want to look at a slider hitch for when you get into those tight campgrounds where you cant turn enough without hitting the back window.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:56 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome to the forum. Everybody thinks theirs is the right hitch, so you'll get as many answers as people replying. You have a nice truck, but you didn't say whether it was a shot or long box. If it is a long box, then you don't need a slider. Any standard hitch will do the job. However, if you have requirements, as I do, to be able to have a clean, level, bed rather than rails when you want to use the truck for something other than towing, I like the B&W Turnover Ball with the Companion Hitch.

There are generally two ways to handle the chucking (if it is an issue). One, at the hitch pin where you might use either Mor/ryde, 5th Airborne, or TrailAire hitch pins. I have used two of the three and recommend the 5th Airborne over the TrailAire (which I now have). Others will have to tell you about the Mor/ryde.

The second, and more pricy approach is to use a shock absorbing hitch. There are several manufacturers. All I have looked into were more pricy than I wanted to invest. Those who have them, swear by them. Other than price, my objection is the weight of the receiver. I need to be able to remove mine single-handedly.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:51 AM   #4
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Welcome to the forum, Rick. We use the 5th Airborne hitch pin and swear by it to get rid of the jerkey, chucking ride. Carol had surgery on her spine and the ride was very hard on her until we got the 5th Airborne. Like all items like this, whatever someone has, that brand is the best. We can only attest to the fact that this one works great for us. Hope to see you at the 2008 MOC Fall Rally at Goshen, IN.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:18 AM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Rick -
Welcome and hold on to your seat for all of the "right" answers. I don't think I have heard of anyone complaining about what they bought (might be wrong - just done remember). There are a lot of people that have the Moreryd, Trail Air, Reese, Superglides, etc. Decide on a budget first and then your priorities. If you have a short box, you definitely want a slider hitch. Do you mind a manual slider, if you need a slider? If not, there are lots of options. If you want automatic, people swear by the Superglide. As for the comfort part, are you bothered by chucking (front to back) or up and down movement of the trailer? If chucking, Moreryd does a good job. Trail Air does a good job of up and down. Then there are the combinations. You can spend a little or a lot, and it depends upon your tastes. You will get lots of opinions on this topic, and none of them are wrong. They are what is right for that person. Do your homework and be happy with your decisions. Again, welcome to the forum and let us know what you decide.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Rick, First, Welcome to "THE BEST DARNED FORUM ON THE WWW. Unfortunately, you cannot "drive before you buy"!!! This would, of course, be the ultimate solution, but, AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. I have a 3400 and a short bed Chevy. I replaced my original king pin with the Mor-Ryde to help prevent "chucking", which is the fore and aft movement. It did a good job of this eliminating about 80% of chucking. I have a manual slider Husky hitch in the bed of truck. In nearly 10 months of towing, I have not had to use the sliding function yet. I am not one that has to back in one time, I usually take a few tries at it, BUT, I keep an eye on the trailer vs truck thing and my wife keeps an eye on where I am going. Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying you don't need a slider. I know there will come a day that I was glad I bought it. I am considering replacing my hitch with a Trail-air, but will need more time to consider.

I would suggest you get as many opinions as you can and talk to as many people as you can. Go to the local parks and see what people are using and what they recommend, then you can make an informed decision based on much knowledge. Cost may or not be a factor in your case. I would probably opt for the best you can afford.

Good Luck and Happy Towing!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I would say you have a long bed and don't need a slider. Go to the B&W web site. Great site and it will answer all your questions. I have owned several different hitches, sliders, bed saver and the Trailer Saver air ride hitch. The Trailer Saver was the best by for, however it cost lots more. I just bought the B&W turnover ball with the Companion 5th wheel hitch. I think for the money and the ability to tow a Gooseneck trailer (for equipment) and also converts to a 5th wheel hitch its the best of both worlds. And it can be remove in 10 minutes and you bed is clean no bed rails. I also think its the safest hitch I have owned. If the safety pin can be installed you are hook, no way of dropping the trailer on the bed rails (No need for the bedsaver). The 5th wheel hitch also is a 4 way pivot with a shock absorber to keep every thing tight. It works just like the book says. Can install the whole system in about 1.5 hrs and there is no drilling or welding, and it fits like a glove. I have it mounted on a 2008 Chevy 3500 DRW C/C. Good Luck with you choice... GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:27 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
In my opinion there are a lot of good brands available. I'd suggest you look at several and see which you like best. So long as the rating of the hitch exceeds weight of the trailer, you'll be fine. If unsure the actual weight of the trailer, use its GVWR as listed on the sticker (probably left front corner).

The other question is that mentioned by the above posts, whether you need some kind of shock absorbing pinbox. Some combinations need it, others don't. It depends a lot on several factors such as wheelbase, truck axle to trailer axle distance, trailer loading, etc. I have never seen any kind of formula for figuring this out. I'd recommend you not purchase any special pinbox until you have tried the combination to see if it will be needed. Unless you just want to buy one to make sure of a good ride. And there's nothing wrong with doing that.

You'll also find the roads you drive make a difference. If you drive a lot of concrete highways with those lap strips, those seem to be the worst for triggering the herky jerky motions. Then you may be more likely to need some shock absorbing mechanism. Interstates seem to contain the larger percentage of those kinds of roads, although US highways are not totally immune.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:39 PM   #9
Rick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8298
Hello All
Thanks for the information above. I will up date you on the pickup box lenght. It is a long box as GM apparently don't make a short box in the 3500HD units so I have been told when purchessing this unit.
I have to also tell you that I am thinking about what has been said here about the B&W hitch sounds like it may be the one I want, But will have to see what comes about.
Someone mentioned Money well the Bank has lots lets help them spend it. I have been a beliver that you get what you pay for.
The home here goes up for sale tommorw so hopefully it sells fast and I can get my Montana ordered or purchased.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:09 PM   #10
Rick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8298
Back again.
I guess I had better check my spelling and preview my reply before I post.
I must appoligize to Fordzilla for not clarifing that it is for a 5th wheel.
exav8tr you are right on the try before you buy thing just not like shoes hey, oh well I have been bitten a couple of times before.
I want something that I can take out without to much trouble by myself as I have a Quad that I will be hauling around with me at times when I am parked at my site.
THANKS FOR THE WELCOME TO THE MOC I am finding it a great place to find out different things that I am intrested in. ie Washer and dryers, generators, Solar panels and inverters.ect.
Once again Thanks All will keep in touch.
Rick
Old 03-25-2008, 01:31 AM   #11
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Rick -

As far as taking it out - I found a very inexpensive electric hoist at Harbor Freight Tools that I mounted to my ceiling joists in the garage. It's a lot easier than wrestling it around myself or waiting for one of the boys to be around. The short bed isn't available at this time in the 3500 from Chevy. Good luck and keep us posted.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:04 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Rick, Congtz on the Chevy, your right GM only makes the long bed which is in my opinon a good decision, also you can't go wrong on the B&W turn over ball with the companion hitch. I have owned several 5th wheel hitches and the B&W rates above all of them except the Trailer Saver air ride. But you can buy two B&W's for that price. The B&W is the most simple to operate of any hitch I have owned, which are Reese, Huskey/Valley and when you remove them you still have bed rails. As you know by now the B&W can be removed by one person and your bed is clean. Good Luck on your choice... GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote