Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Montana Labor Day Parade, with some SNOW

Dillon, Montana, held its annual Labor Day parade this morning. Below is a photo of what I work up to discover on the foothills around me--snow. By parade time, the temperature had warmed up to 39 degrees, not too miserable except for the mist and rain that continued to fall.

Nothing can stop the show from going on, however, especially on what's billed all over this part of the country as Montana's Biggest Weekend (pro rodeo, fair, concert, parade). The parade theme this year was based on Breast Cancer Awareness, so pink was the color of the day. My daughter (left, holding her dance studio sign) and her friend led the way. The little dancers riding the float held pink glittered signs saying "We're on our Toes to Beat Breast Cancer," "Hip-Hopping our Way to a Cure," "Tapping to a Cure," etc. They were dressed in parkas, mittens, and hats instead of pink tutus and leotards as planned. The other classes walked and threw candy.

After taking a few photos, I was put into service walking behind the middle of the big sign, holding the bottom down to keep the wind from ripping it to pieces. Sure wish I'd had on my walking shoes instead of my "not made for walking" boots. Last year, sunburns and shorts. This year, parkas and mittens.

Photos: View from Clark Canyon Dam, 4 miles from my home. The campgrounds there were still full of RVers this evening in spite of the miserable weather.
Bottom left: Hillary and friend. Bottom right: Some of the dancers NOT wearing tutus or leotards!

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I am so jealous. Send that snow up here. We are getting ready. The fireweed is finished blooming and I am waiting with anticipation for that first snowfall!
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Wow, that sounds like an early start for the winter. We had around 94°-95° today. It’s just down right too hot to get outside in it. Where we live the humidity is what makes it so bad. I have a feeling that things will soon change here.

Edited for grammer!
Old 09-02-2008, 05:47 AM   #4
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Icehouse

I am so jealous. Send that snow up here. We are getting ready. The fireweed is finished blooming and I am waiting with anticipation for that first snowfall!
Tammy,
Please wait a two more weeks, we haven't left Alaska yet.

Grant
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:25 AM   #5
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Grant, Remember I was trying my deadlevel best to convince you and Kathy to stay for the winter. Well, I'm not finished trying to convince you!!!!!!!! It is soooooooooooooo beautiful!!!!!!
Tammy
Old 09-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #6
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
Snow here in Alberta too. We were in Bragg Creek - just a half hour west of Calgary. It started raining Saturday evening and we woke up Sunday morning to 2" of snow -the wet heavy kind. Most of the campers, including us, cut their long weekend camping trip short and packed up and went home. I'm not a fan of sweeping the snow off the roof and slides but it had to be done.

Icehouse - I admire your tenacity and have followed your adventures (or misadventures) on this forum. However, I am not a "Winter" person. I'm sure that Alaska is beautiful in the winter, but the farther I can get away from the snow and cold the better. Alaska is certainly on our list of places we want to visit (in the summer) but I think that will only happen via a cruise ship from Vancouver.
bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:28 AM   #7
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Bruiser, come on up! Plan for next summer and let us know when you get here!!! We do love the cold and the snow but will happily entertain any MOCer during the summer. It's beautiful then too!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:49 AM   #8
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Beautiful!
We are in Alta, National Forest Campground about 35 miles into the mountains from Conner, MT. We have been here for over a week, leave on Monday. It got down to 28 degrees the night before last and snowed above 5500 ft. (we are at 5000). Went over to Philipsburg yesterday through Skalkaho Pass and the snow was beautiful.
We will be in Dillon by the next weekend. Looking forward to it.
John and Dorothy
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:31 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
No snow in Hong Kong.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote