Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Old Age

Old Age, I decided, is a gift.

I am now, probably for the first time in my life, the person I have always wanted to be. Oh, not my body! I sometime despair over my body, the wrinkles, the baggy eyes, the bulging gut, and the sagging butt. And often I am taken aback by that old person that lives in my mirror (who looks like my Dad!), but I don't agonize over those things for long.

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become more kind to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend.

I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement turtle that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.

I have seen too many beloved friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or stay on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon?

I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 40's and 50's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love ... I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set. They, too, will get old.

I know I am often forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember most of the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turn gray - what I have left - and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day. (If I feel like it)

Author Unknown (May have been Ozz)

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Good stuff. Gitin old aint for sissies.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Wayne never was truer words spoken. I do not care what other people think of me I LOVE!!!! BOBBY. I just try to be as good and helpful to people as they will let me.
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:05 AM   #4
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Right on Wayne, I agree. This really hit home for me. So, I promise to stop complaining about my DW spending money on what I have always considered to be good "lawn sale" items in a few years. Why not spend some money on that silly "cement turtle" if you want to, if it makes you happy. We all need to be reminded what is truly important in life from time to time. Thanks for the timely reminder.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:56 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Wayne,
Even us young fuddy-duddies (if you can call 48 young!!) can relate to what you are saying. I constantly have to remind DW that we are not placed on this rock to please or cater to the opinions of others. We only have to answer to one at the end anyway. Keep in mind that every day until that day is simply a BONUS DAY that we most likely don't deserve anyway. I hope and pray to always be able to take advantage of these Bonus Days, even if they are work days!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:06 AM   #6
Binky

M.O.C. #8306
Don't know who wrote it but would sure like to meet him or her.

Dori (Binky's good wife)
Binky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:47 AM   #7
nghelwer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7751
Love it Wayne.

All I can say is "Right On"

nghelwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:59 AM   #8
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Wayne, I'd like to say,"I resemble that remark!"
Except that I have to have someone else take that "cement turtle" to the back yard!!!!!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:08 AM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Each day I get up I resemble this more and more!
Old 07-04-2008, 03:39 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
So true, so true.
Being over 300#s I always felt guilty of other folks looking at me by the beach or pool. It was just last year when I said to myself "So what?" It took many many years to develope my beautiful physic and by darn I'm gonna show it off and if those skinny 175 to 200 pounders are jealous than so be it. BUT I do promise never ever to be caught in a spandex bathing suit.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:59 AM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Whew!!! Thanks Glenn for that last promise in your post!!!! lol Have a great summer on the beach!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:50 AM   #12
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
When I wake up in the morning, I feel blessed. Wayne, you just cited many of the reasons that I am so blessed. Just the idea that I can be wrong and that not make me bad is such a relief. Redd Fox said it best "Many people say that they don't want to get old, slow and in peoples way. I say that if I get in your way, just move me." Thanks, Wayne.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:31 AM   #13
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Glenn: Being over 300lbs. myself I have another rule. NEVER wear any outfit that requires you to use your butt crack.g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have worked long and had to get old.It has taken me nearly 70 years and we are not done yet. I do not miss things that I can not do any longer because I can't remember what they were.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
One day I was in the back yard with my son. Can't remember what we were doing, but when I stood up I had to take a deep breath. He said, "Dad, you are out of shape."

I had to remind him that ROUND is a shape.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote