Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2021, 10:33 AM   #1
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
dealing with Keystone Warranty dept.

So, anybody out there get out of pocket warranty work done? My issue is the W-9 form they ask for to reimburse you for it and the resulting 1099Misc that gets issued. How do you handle it on your taxes? It's not income since it is repaying for out of pocket expenses to repair a warrantable defect. I can understand a W-9 if I was a contractor authorized by Keystone and submitting an invoice for parts and labor to Keystone to get paid for work done. But as owner paying out of pocket? Keystone clings to IRS tax code FATCA as the requirement... but FATCA is a reporting mechanism for income of independent contractors to ensure they pay their taxes on money earned doing work for a business. Mobile RV techs would fall into this category, but owners are not contractors.

Keystone is suggesting it is income. as such it would be taxable. Since I already paid taxes on the money to have it in my hands to start with, this results in double taxation of warranty reimbursements without an offsetting deduction.

Imagine going to the mom & pop grocery store and insisting on a W-9 from the store because I paid them money for groceries but I have to require evidence of the store paying its taxes on the money they received from me? This is the essence of what Keystone is doing with out of pocket warranty reimbursement.

OK, done venting.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote