Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2004, 02:11 AM   #1
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
Any experience with a broken window?

Got home from work yesterday and discovered the emergency exit window in the bunk room was broken. Fully shattered with a hole the size of a grape fruit. Called all my nearby dealers and nobody can even look at it before the end of November. Called local glass shops who all said call the dealer. Called Keystone who said the whole window (frame and all) would need to be replaced and that a dealer would have to order the window, none of the dealers will order the window without seeing the unit and measuring the window (earliest they will do it is the end of November). I used packing tape over the entire window to hold the remaining glass in place and "seal" the window to avoid water damage until I can get the window fixed. Some of the windows have a rubber strip on the inside to remove the glass, unfortuncately this one does not or I would buy a piece of glass and try and round the corners myself. Has anyone else ever broken a window and if so did you really have to replace the entire frame?

dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 05:15 AM   #2
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Don last Jan. when we were loading camper one of us hit & released the escape window, It got to flopping & broke. We got some duct tape & patched it until we got home in the spring & I took out the one screw & took it to a local glass shop & they put a new one in the frame. Just had to take out one screw.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 10:31 AM   #3
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Your dealers response is pitiful. Keystone can send them the exact window you need without them measuring. In fact Keystone could send a replacement window to you. Sounds to me like the dealer just does not want to order the window than have you get it fixed elsewhere and be stuck with the window or shipping it back to Keystone. I'm pretty sure anything a dealer replaces, they have to send the old part back to get credit.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 10:51 AM   #4
Montana_381
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #381
When ours was shot out by a vandal our local glass man (40 years in the business) replaced the broken pane in about a half hour.

He did, however, have to order the glass - that took a couple of days to arrive - but didn't have any problem with the actual replacement.

The interior molding is removable to allow pane replacement.
Montana_381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 02:31 PM   #5
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
Thanks for the responses, after searching and finding some threads on RV.NET I had decided to take the window out and see if a local shop would do it. It did sound like it would have to be templated and ordered because apparently the safety glass has to be cut to size then tempered. But if I can get it fixed in days or weeks rather than months it would be preferred as I am taking my granddaughter camping for Halloween.

When I called Keystone they said they were not set up to sell to the public, only to dealers. And one dealer actually suggested that I set up and appointment so they could measure and order the window and then have me pick it up and just slide the window out of the new frame and into the one in my camper. However it would be the beginning of December before he could fit me in to measure it but he would call if something opened up sooner but that it could be on very short notice. Every Keystone dealer within 60 miles of me (not just the Montana/Mountaineer dealers) all said they wanted to measure because Keystone has sent them the wrong windows in the past.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 03:04 PM   #6
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Thanks for clearing that up for me about Keystone and the wrong delivery.

I hope you can take care of it quickly and swiftly with a local glass company.

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote