Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2003, 05:06 AM   #1
Montana_203
Established Member

M.O.C. #203
Hook-up for Satellite Dish

I had originally posted this on another forum and thought it would be good to post it here. d I also have a similar post under technical problems.

I have a 1999 Montana 3255 and I can tell you how I did mine. I suspect you can do yours the same way. It works very well and isn't difficult.

If you have the TV and stereo center in the same place as I do, there is a dummy door beneath the stereo that can be removed and has the water pump in it.

Remove that door and you will see that you have access to the inside of the water inlet box for potable water and city water.

I got 2 F-81 fittings(double female fitting for RG-59/6 cable) with nuts, drilled a hole in the plastic above the water inlets, but inside the door, mounted one of the f-81 fittings.

You will find that the cable access from the back of the TV and stereo goes down to this compartment with the water pump. You will have to remove the wall plate that has the TV cable connector on it. You should use about a 6' piece of RG-6 cable with a regular f-59 type fitting on each end. Thread it down behind the TV (actually behind the wall plate connector for the TV) and you will see it come out below in the compartment.

Now you need to drill another hole in the cable connector plate(behind the TV, that you hook the TV to) and install another F-81 fitting. Now you just hook up the fitting that goes outside through the water inlet box and to the new connector on the plate behind the TV. Keep the new connector about 1" or more from the current fitting to eliminate interference.

Now you will have a separate cable connector from the outside behind the water inlet door for the satellite dish(or park cable TV). You hook the input to your satellite receiver to the new connector on the plate behind the TV and you're in business. You can keep the connector that goes through your antenna amplifier connected to the "antenna" connection on the back of the satellite receiver and you won't have to change any settings to switch from your antenna to satellite dish. You will find that your cable will fit in the slot for the water hose with the door closed and locked.

The reason you can't use the satellite dish through the antenna amplifier is that you have to furnish 24VDC to the satellite dish to operate the LNB and it won't pass through the winegard amplifier. This direct connection will eliminate that.

"Have Trailer—will travel"
1999 Montana 3255RL
1999 Dodge 1-Ton Dually w/Cummins 5.9TD

Montana_203 is offline   Reply With Quote