Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2011, 05:10 AM   #21
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yesterday I woke up, opened the window and all I could smell was the remains of last nights camp fire, somewhere around our spot. Smelled like burned trash. Not my idea of Montana's fresh air. Someone had a fire, I was stuck with the foul smell.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:17 AM   #22
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
This is the #1 camping irritant (literally) for us, especially when the temps are in the 80-90's and it's during the daytime. There were campfire bans early in the summer here and it made for pleasant camping for us.
We do realize that some like campfires and feel that they are integral to their "camping experience". As long as they burn a small, attended, mostly smokeless fire with the wind blowing away from the Monty and thoroughly douse the fire when done, I'm OK with it.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

I hate the fires people start 10' away from my Monte, usually it is by the rear, or living room. We are sitting there, enjoying the cool air coming in, which we have made a considerable effort and expense to find, by the way, then they pile wood in the ring, douse it with charcoal lighter, and light it up.
My question to them, how would you feel if I came over to your home and lit what smells like a chemical and trash fire 10' from your living room window? The smoke, even with the trailer sealed up, windows closed, still smells like wood smoke.
My take on it is that when people do this it is inconsiderate and they really don't care who it bothers.
Sue has asthma, can't breathe well on a clear day, really has problems with the smoke. I just don't like smelling the smoke and having everything in the trailer smell smoky.
It is hard to find a c.g. that doesn't have them. If not impossible out west. I am a believer that you can pretty well do anything you like, as long as you are not bothering someone else.
It would be different if it was a community fire ring well away from the trailers.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #23
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hookman

We like fires but alot of time it is fire season (this year is the exception) so we bought a propane camp fire which in almost all areas are allowed as they are considered the same as a gas BBQ. You can do almost any thing you do on a real fire but there is no smoke which is great in an RV Park. We still enjoy the camp fires a Quartzite and other places where there is a lot of room.
I love my Campfire In A Can! I am one of those who likes a fire, but burn bans, insect infestations, and smoke in the neighbors trailer make the propane version a real plus.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #24
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Sorta goes with the territory when you're camping. That's not to say that you can't be considerate, though.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #25
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Camping in the woods wit a tent, maybe.
Parking in a RV park with trailers, and motor-homes very close to one another, is a different matter IMHO.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #26
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
115 degrees on my front porch this afternoon, no campfire this evening.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #27
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
How about the ones that pile the wet wood and green branches on, add the lighter fluid and lite it. Get it roaring with 4 and 5 foot flames and lots of smoke. Then they disappear back into their rig, leaving that burning inferno unattended. Now we do like a small fire, we bring wood from home that's been stored in a shed for several years so it's good and dry. We're not big into smores, but love toasted ham and cheese sandwitches cooked in our pie irons. Had some just this past week.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #28
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Right now its too darn hot for any kind of fire or som-mores for the kids.
I love personal campfires so long as it isn't a bon-fire or a smoker type, Bon-fires are for groups like at the "Q". Smokers are for indians to send signals to others.
If I have a smoker next to me I will close my windows and doors turn on the air sit outside and enjoy the, "chock" excuse me, there fire or go over and ask if I can enjoy there fire with them, I do bring my own drink and chairs.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #29
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Camping in the woods wit a tent, maybe.
Parking in a RV park with trailers, and motor-homes very close to one another, is a different matter IMHO.
Still have a problem with the "smoke" pits....do believe I agree with Ozz.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:59 AM   #30
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We never do camp fires, however if we were camping and we never will I guess some people like camp fires. We try not to return to parks were there are campfires. Just isn't something we care for. We are RVers only. Hope I never have to camp again.... Happy Trails...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #31
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We do enjoy campfires on a cool evening with family/friends, especially with the grandkids who love to roast marshmallows. But we never do it in a typical RV park with close in parking. Only in parks where there is enough room to have one without being right next to neighbors. And even then, I will not start one if I think the wind will blow the smoke directly onto another's site.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #32
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You are a good man, Bill