Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2004, 04:54 AM   #1
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Retirees pastimes:

WORKING PEOPLE FREQUENTLY ASK RETIRED PEOPLE WHAT THEY DO TO MAKE THEIR DAYS INTERESTING.

I WENT TO THE STORE THE OTHER DAY. I WAS ONLY IN THERE FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES.

WHEN I CAME OUT THERE WAS A COP WRITING OUT A PARKING TICKET.

I WENT UP TO HIM AND SAID, "COME ON BUDDY, DON'T BE A JERK. HOW ABOUT GIVING A SENIOR A BREAK?"

HE IGNORED ME AND CONTINUED WRITING THE TICKET.

I CALLED HIM A BAD NAME. HE GLARED AT ME AND STARTED WRITING ANOTHER TICKET FOR HAVING WORN TIRES.

SO I CALLED HIM A WAY WORSE NAME. HE FINISHED THE SECOND TICKET AND PUT IT ON THE WINDSHIELD WITH THE FIRST.

THEN HE STARTED WRITING A THIRD TICKET.

THIS WENT ON FOR ABOUT 20 MINUTES. THE MORE I ABUSED HIM THE MORE TICKETS HE WROTE.

I DIDN'T CARE. MY CAR WAS PARKED AROUND THE CORNER AND THIS ONE HAD AN "ELECT GEORGE BUSH" BUMPER STICKER ON IT.

I TRY TO HAVE A LITTLE FUN EACH DAY NOW THAT I'M RETIRED.

IT'S IMPORTANT AT OUR AGE.

Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 07:56 AM   #2
RVBUDDY
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1109
No offense, but I don't want to park next to you
RVBUDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 09:12 AM   #3
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
I was thinking the same thing! My political views would obviously get me into trouble.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 01:46 PM   #4
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
I received this same email...only it was a John Kerry bumper sticker! lol
I'll sure be glad when the election is over. Am so sick of all those ads.. on both sides.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 02:27 PM   #5
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
I second that one. The political commercials and the like started way too soon this year. I am sick to death of all of it. I made up my mind a long time ago and just tune it out.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:08 AM   #6
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
I totally agree with you! I will be so happy when this election is over. You get to see the real side of these jokers.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by syplace

I received this same email...only it was a John Kerry bumper sticker! lol
I'll sure be glad when the election is over. Am so sick of all those ads.. on both sides.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 07:28 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I am more sick of this kind of stuff appearing on the MOC. It just doesn't belong here.

If you want to destroy a forum quickly continue to allow political or religious discussions. Even jokes about a particular party or candidate can offend another member.

This entire thread should be deleted.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 07:30 AM   #8
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Right on.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:40 AM   #9
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
well......when I stopped laughing ....I could see your point where it can upset people....personally it didn't bother me (from any politcal side)....but we are here to have fun and not upset people.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 11:47 AM   #10
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
I agree with BillyRay. The joke was funny and yes it did have a political punchline. I am sure it was posted in innocence though. I took it to work and gave it to some of the characters that I work with who are really into the political scene.

Probably the forum should have a short "dos & don'ts" guide for people to read when they sign up as a member that lists certain types of postings etc that are best not posted.

If someone (especially a new member) should post an item that someone else finds offensive, I would hope that they would gently let the person know either by email or let admin or a moderator know what they think of the posting and not (probably) embarrass the poster here with an angry reply post. The forum also has a "private message" feature here to use.

I know I have posted a couple of items I thought were funny and then later looked back on them and wondered what-in-the-heck I was thinking of when I posted them. We don't have the "trashcan" feature anymore so we can't delete one of our own posts.

HarleyRider's recent topic entitled "Think I'll Stay Right Here From Now On" is a great example of why we all need to practice tolerence of others here. I'd hate to see this site end up like RV.net. There are so many people over there that are quick to jump on another person for what they posted.

We might have all ended up here because we own Montanas and Mountaineers, but it's the camaraderie that keeps us coming back.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 11:59 AM   #11
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
very well put!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 10:11 AM   #12
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Well said Doug & Margee.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 11:20 AM   #13
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I both agree and disagree. The idea of a joke is fine, it was posted in the most appropriate forum "Around the Campfire". It does not exactly attack a candidate or person it is just a punchline nor does it exactly mock them. It does not attack a particular issue like abortion which could be more offensive to others, it just makes light of a current situation.

For the record, I don't recall seeing any other political type postings here, this is the first that I have seen so a little tolerance can go a long way.

Hey, it'll all be over soon and maybe some of the people who said they would leave the country if a particular person gets elected will. Then maybe it'll be a nicer place here.

Can't we all just get along.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 07:51 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't know, John. Several who said that last time are still here.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 03:50 AM   #15
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
I guess it's time for me to get my two shekels worth in since I posted the joke. I posted it as it came to me. It is basically a "fill in the blank" type joke; put your local dog-catcher in it if you like. It wasn't meant to be offensive to anybody; but there are always a select few that will take offense at anything. I am reminded of when we moved to Lakeland, FL in 1981. A group developed a subdivision there and one of the streets was named "Horney Drive" (not horny). One of the more prominent religious groups in the south took offense at the name and made enough noise that they changed the name. Whoever takes offense at political satyr probably never watched Bob Hope, Jay Leno or David Letterman among others. "Doonesbury " by Gary Trudeau(sic) sometimes gets a little political too. And that's my humble opinion.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 04:01 AM   #16
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
......and it's a fine humble opinion.

Without patience, understanding and tolerence, we are going to end up just like all the other forums on the net. I believe in sitting back and taking a deep breath when I think something is offending me. I never post a "first gut" reaction, I come back to it later and it usually isn't such a big deal to me then.

Life is too darn short to sweat the small stuff.

I love this place.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 04:04 AM   #17
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
I very much so agree with that. But I do have to say that there was something posted on here that did truly offend me, it ws removed also so I'm sure it offended a lot of others also. It was about the presidential campaign.

I love this place too and think it's wonderful that we can all get along so well.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by D and M On The Road

......and it's a fine humble opinion.

Without patience, understanding and tolerence, we are going to end up just like all the other forums on the net. I believe in sitting back and taking a deep breath when I think something is offending me. I never post a "first gut" reaction, I come back to it later and it usually isn't such a big deal to me then.

Life is too darn short to sweat the small stuff.

I love this place.

Old 10-07-2004, 05:16 AM   #18
Montana_1280
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1280
For sure nothing gets one stirred up like the current political scene. I am still working and am in close proximity to 2 folks of the opposite persuasion. It didn't take long to figure out if we were going to be friends, the political stuff was not going to work. So I decided to keep my political opinions to myself and so far it has been a much better place. The forum is certainly not the place either for political or religious rhetoric. Let's all just move on and forget this incident.
Ditto, ditto, ditto…. to this election being over. I am so sick of it!!
This is a great......because there is no bad mouthing!
Montana_1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 03:35 AM   #19
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
I was thinking about this on my drive home last night and I figured out why this forum is so kind and people get along so well. I'm guessing about 80% of the people here are "older" (age is a state of mind) but over 50, correct me if I'm wrong. At that point in your life, you have already seen a lot, stressed over a lot and stuff like political and religious views are "small stuff". You try not to sweat the small stuff. I thought the joke was funny and can't say I haven't seen it the other way around.

Keep up the good work everyone....
Old 10-08-2004, 08:28 PM   #20
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
To get back to the original question. Both my wife and I spend a lot of our spare time doing genealogy. This takes a lot of time and gives us much satisfaction. Happyrving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote