Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2004, 04:04 AM   #1
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Black Tank flush

Hi All~

I'm posting this in "Improvements" because the improvement is we are now not just reading the instructions, but following them .

We've been in the same park for more time than I care to discuss. Anyhow, somewhere along the line, one of us decided it would be easier to just leave the hose connected to the black tank flush. Now....I won't say which of us made such a wise decision since I don't like to point fingers....

Well, we were away from our rig the entire day.....hose connected, valve closed.

So anyways....here we were, happily sitting around waiting for the Presidential debate....
Didn't hear any water running....
then....
all of a sudden water was running off our awning like the worst storm ever. As we ran around sounding like Henny-Penny, we heard a VERY loud KA-WHOOSH ---- like a dam giving way or a flash-flood. It was our black tank....the seal blew.

Fortunately, we have great neighbors!

And here's what happened.....(we think). The landscapers often use the site water(s) to take care of the plants in one area or another. We (and the park manager) suspects that the worker turned on the hose that we left connected to the black flush in error (oh, really????).

So....if yer gonna leave your hose connected to your black flush, ya might wanna leave your black valve open. Better yet, follow Keystones instructions in the manual. We sure will....now

Might need to change our user name to dumb and dumber.

larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 04:22 AM   #2
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
I would have never told. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 04:36 AM   #3
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
HOLY SMOKE!!! Guess the only good thing about the experience was that you were there when it happened so you could get to solutions ASAP. Hats off to you for sharing--for sure no other readers will leave a hose available for clueless landscapers to use. Hope the fix was quick. "Dumb and dumber"?? NAH! "Once wet, twice smart!!!"
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 04:53 AM   #4
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Thanks, Bowie~
We're waiting on a new tank from Keystone, which could be up to two weeks. And thank you for your kindness.

Treecounter~
I considered not telling, for sure -- then reconsidered. One thing I've realized is we're usually not alone when making mistakes or bad judgements. Hopefully, others will know what not to do from what we did. Thus, the post.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:19 AM   #5
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
larry n gail, So sorry to hear about the trouble with your black tank,Hope that you get it fixed with out any problems. We have been full timing for over a year and leave the water hose hooked to the RV all the time but don't hook to the water supply until ready to flush out the black tank. You never know when someone or a child will go from space to space turning on the water. Boy I learn something new all the time. Thanks for sharing with us.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 09:35 AM   #6
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
That's oneway to make sure it's flushed out for sure. Only problem is having to install new tank every time. Sorry to hear about your mishap.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 02:22 AM   #7
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
at least it was something minor ....usually when I do something dumb it costs me big time! but I did so many dumb things in the last few years I should be good for awhile!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 04:54 AM   #8
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
thanks for the heads up, another lesson learned ,unfortuantly there is cost involved, Ill make sure all my water lines are turned off and or disconnected beore leaving for the day,, maybe another valve at the rv unit to turn off would work in case someone decides to do us a favor and turn the water on at the faucet...
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 04:19 AM   #9
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Flastro

maybe another valve at the rv unit to turn off would work in case someone decides to do us a favor and turn the water on at the faucet...
This is exactly what others in our park have done -- good idea. We had (and still have) a quick-connect on the flush hose. As you know, the hose must be connected in order for water to run from it once the faucet has been turned on. Our water was turned on AGAIN while we were away from our rig. Fortunately, this time, we were not connected. Otherwise we'd have had the very same problem.

Our solution is not to connect unless were dumping and flushing. That way we can be sure we won't have the problem again -- unless some joker comes along.

Old 10-13-2004, 01:32 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I always leave the hose connected to the flush but I always have an inline valve connected between the hose and the flush connection. Except when flushing the inline valve and the faucet are always turned off. Someone could turn on the water at the faucet with no harm being done. The inline valve at the flush is hardly noticeable.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 12:24 AM   #11
On The Road Again
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1725
Thanks, Gail & Larry for the "heads up" and sharing a most horrible experience, I'm sure. We've all made some kinda "dumb" mistakes and surely, "hopefully", learn from them. I will definitely now place an inline valve on my hose or make sure it's dis-connected unless I'm actually flushing.
Again, thanks for sharing
On The Road Again is offline   Reply With Quote