Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Graphics removal "glue"

I received my replacement graphics and they emailed me instructions on using the heat gun or hair dryer to remove the graphics. However, they did not state what I should use to remove the glue before I clean with alcohol.

I know to use spray bottle with a couple of drops of Dawn dish soap in water in the spray bottle.

So: WHAT DID YOU USE TO REMOVE THE GRAPHIC GLUE?

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Look at ZEP products. They seem to make a wide variety of products for removal of just about anything. I've successfully used their graffiti remover. If you find one be sure that it won't do something negative to your finish.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
John,
I used the cheapest lacquer thinner I could find, followed with lots of soap and water and finished up with alcohol
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I used goo gone after I removed the graphics using an ordinary hair dryer (with gloves, the graphics do get hot!). I also used a razor blade to remove what remnants I could (no it did not scratch the fiberglass finish) by holding the blade almost directly parallel to the surface. The remnants were because of severely cracked graphics which in some places left small pieces adhered. I was happy with the results, but I do believe goo gone is petroleum based, so in order to follow the graphics manufacturers of not using petroleum based waxes and other products, I kept a towel in one hand to prevent over-runs from reaching the adjacent graphics.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
John ... going past the adhesive removal, you've probably researched graphic installation, but just to be sure here is a cut and paste from a previous post back in 09 that I responded to ..........
Besides the readings from Glen's post I'll add a few personal experiences. First and foremost make sure the surface is clean and oil and or wax free. There are several prep products out there that can be bought even at Wally World. Follow the installation temperature guidelines in the article. When they mention "hinge method" that refers to the peeling back of the backing on about 1/2 of the graphic at a time. Most of the graphics are way too large to attempt to slap it on all at once. Just a couple of drops of dish soap in a full spray bottle of water helps if you go the wet application method. If you do have a few small air bubbles after you squeegy it out ... don't try to push harder with the squeegy ... simply prick the area with a "sharp" sewing needle and work the air out.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
At work, we have to remove stickers from painted surfaces. We use plastic razor blades and they don't damage the painted surface. Similar to these: http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Razor-...xgy_auto_img_c
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
John,

This site gives a lot of info. Hope it helps.

http://www.sharpline.com/install.html

http://www.sharpline.com/installtips.html
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:35 AM   #8
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We took our front graphics off on a warm day, (that should not be a problem for you since you are in sunny Florida) with goof off and a plastic razor blade scraper. It fit in a track and holder just like a regular razor blade and you switch them out when they get dull. You can get them at any boat store. Not real expensive. Would not take the chance of using a regular one. Then we went over it with thinner and then alcohol. Also used a hair dryer to get the old graphic off. Put the goof off on and let it sit to work for a few makes it easier. Took us about 2 hrs to do the front cap.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
John - we used one of those cheap steamers and it took it off primo, with very little residue left over.....adhesive pretty much came up with the decal. What was left, we found that those cheap "Bondo" plastic smoothers are both cheap and stood up to the task. Went through only 2 on front and a side of decals....purchased at local Wally World. And like Charlie said, used the cheapest thinner out there.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:42 AM   #10
DonPd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4328
You might want to take a look at this product. It is from 3M. It is a Stripe Off Wheel.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Stripe-Whee...=1CQUJM18E15Y0
DonPd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #11
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
I picked up some remover and some of those plastic razor blades from the local decal sign folks. Put the remover in a spray bottle, sprayed it on and took the decals and glue off. Then washed with soap and water. Being naturally lazy at this point of my life, this method seemed to fit right in.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:20 AM   #12
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Thanks to all for the comments. They were a great help.
The plastic razor blades worked great.
I learned the graphic glue responds twice to heat.
I started with a hair dryer and upgraded to a 400 deg 1K watt heat gun.
When heat is applied first the glue will release the vinyl graphics, so the glue is still on the trailer and a bear to remove even with Acetone.
After continuing to heat the graphics the glue stayed with the vinyl and released from the side of the trailer. This is the way to do it.

Thanks again for all the removal advice.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #13
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Thanks John,
I have most of my graphics off but they curled and peeled on their own so I have the glue left on the side. I have been struggling to get it off of the trailer and am succeeding but saying it is a bear is putting it mildly. I will see if heating it up some more will make the process easier but I have to wait until I get a chance to go out to the storage location to work on it. Been following the trials and travels of you and Ann and we are cheering for you guys.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:42 AM   #14
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I removed the "Montana" on the front yesterday. Used a hairdryer to peal the graphic off of the panel, and most of the time the glue remained. I used 'Goof Off' purchased at Lowes to remove the glues. It did a pretty good job. No real hard rubbing, let it sit for 30/40 seconds and then wiped with a clean rag. The glue balled up and some removed with the rag, then used the razor blade to clean up most of the rest. Followed that up with acetone and that removed the remainder. Washed the front cap with dish soap and a little bleach, and the cap was clean. Now to put the new "Montana" graphic on. That will be Saturday or Sunday project.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #15
rich6506547
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8222
finger nail remover with acetone worked about the best but it takes a bunch of it and lot of rubbing not much scraping. also clean cloths because you can't wash out the glue.
rich6506547 is offline   Reply With Quote