Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Patched leak in Galley holding tank

Got it done today.

http://tinyurl.com/TankRepair

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Looks like a very good repair Ozz, it looks like ABS cement to me along with the mesh is that what it is?
Old 01-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Ozz I found out when I fixed mine that black ABS glue will melt the tank also. could be something like that in your stuff I think it will work. the only thing I found is the tank will flex bad when filled and emptyed I feel like that is a big part of the problem so I put no hub bands on the pipes so they can move. no problems since. OH and BTW you should warn folks before they see that one picture of you some of us have a bad heart!!!! HeHeHe.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:41 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I like the stuff I bought better than just the glue, I think it is much stronger.

Bobby, you are a genius! I was laying in bed about 4:00 this morning (awake..) and it hit me, the tank flexes when full, I thought of the very same fix. If you were to take the tank out, strap it securely to a metal work bench, then glue a 20' pipe to it and move the end of the pipe up and down, it would crack in the very same place.
I will cut the pipe, then fill the tank and put a straight-edge on the drain, I bet it doesn't align.
I think I will install 2 rubber couplings.
All of you folks should do the same fix, you can cut the drain outside of the black bottom cover, slip the coupling on and it may save the tank from cracking.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:39 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Really good job. Nice access door too.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Thanks Ozz for the photos, I have wondered how things look up under the black cover. So, if I understand this correctly the problem experienced over the years by many, many RVers with their tanks cracking is primarily due to the rigid connection. As installed at the factory the thick drain pipe and thin walled tank will flex at the point where the pipe connects to the body of the black tank, and therefore will eventually crack the tank at that point. That flex point is covered up by the underbelly cover. Bobby's fix will move the flex point to the rubber cupling, I think, and if the cupling is installed just below the undercover as Ozz suggests then I should be able to do the fix before the problem develops without taking down the undercover.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Very well said! If I didn't have so many snakes in my head I could think like that
Old 01-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
A few years ago our galley tank broke where the pipe enters the tank and started leaking. We put a patch on it and also installed some flexible joints to help alleviate the problem so well stated in a post by Recumbent. Either the more flexible joint did not help or our patch job was not as good as Ozz's because it is broken again and leaking. We are waiting for a tank replacement. Since we're on the road for awhile I hope it arrives while we are away so they can install it when we get home. Happy Trails, Dennis.

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Ozz when I filled my tank to test it I filled it all the way up in the shower and the top of the tank would make the floor in the basement raise up and its 1/2" OSB. you could see the bulge in the floor. so you know the bottom is bowing down thats why I put braces under mine. You are right when it raises it makes the pipe going up flex at the top of the tank that can't be good for the tank.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Ozz, about that picture. I would recommend you never keep your mouth open like that when you are under plumbing. You just never know what might fall in.

Great job on the fix! And as always, thanks for the pictures. They are worth thousands and thousands of words.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote