Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2011, 04:51 AM   #1
jdvier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10130
Message on truck computer

Has anyone had an trailer problem message on the 2009 F250 that states there is a wiring problem on the trailer? If you have what did you find as the cause?
Ford dealer in Colorado Springs stated that over 95% of the time it is the trailer wiring.
Thanks in advance
Jack

jdvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
JD,
Had the problem on my last trip and it was the ground on the truck. To test it out, hook the ground from a set of jumper cables to the truck and to the RV hitch and see if the problem goes away.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Another common problem is water getting into the harness. You might try taking the connector apart, cleaning everything real well, then putting all back together. Then coat the connectors with non-conductive grease (or spray) to prevent further intrusion or corrosion then retaping to seal it from the elements as best as you can.

My last trailer fault occurred when towing in the rain. The Trailer Fault occasionally displayed on my '06 Ford Truck, when pressing the brake pedal, but the braking still seemed to work (used the emergency slider to test them). I still haven't taken it all apart and resealed it, but I did learn of this from the MOC and other RV forums with the same proven cause.

What the dealer is suggesting is true. Trailer faults are often caused by poor or loose wiring, corrosion or water intrusion. Try these remedies first.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jdvier

Has anyone had an trailer problem message on the 2009 F250 that states there is a wiring problem on the trailer? If you have what did you find as the cause?
Ford dealer in Colorado Springs stated that over 95% of the time it is the trailer wiring.
Thanks in advance
Jack
and 95% of the time that is correct. we had the trailer wireing fault a couple of weeks ago. No trailer attached.. It was water intrusion in the barrel connector.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Had the problem on 2008 F350. It was the wiring on the truck. Water had gotten into the wiring harness. Had nothing to do with the trailer. On the 2011 F350, the problem occurred. We got no message, but the back up lights on the trailer would not work. They would work off the bumper connection, but not off the inside-the-bed connector. Again the wiring pigtail was at fault.

The dealer did a quick check, isolated the problem and then fixed the problem in about 10 minutes without charge.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
jdvier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10130
Just did some troubleshooting on the computer message and found a loose ground wire on the trailer electrical box on the hitch. Hope this works. Will post more info later.
jdvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
A good plan is to redo all the connections you can get to especially the brake wires. I had a problem with error messages on my prodigy . I cut off all the factory connection and the connections were the power cord receptacle was spliced into the truck. I used butt connectors and the sealed all connection with liquid tape. All is well.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote