Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
It's back to it's original self again

Well as some of you know I was having my black tank replaced at Mike Thompson RV for the last two weeks, the first problem was they ordered the wrong handed one, a 294 instead of a 295, then they received the right one and installed it. When I got home I filled it up for a test, and it also leaked, I provided a video on my last post showing my disappointment.
After another letter to the manager Jason, then I placed a phone call, I was instructed to return it and he would get it fixed, he was told by his service man that the tank was tested and did not leak, my personal opinion he didn’t fill it up to the top. They tried to tell me that filling my tank through the toilet opening could cause it to rupture, huh? I never heard of that before I used to always fill my tanks that way for cleaning before I got my Montana; it came with the fast flush system so I didn’t have to drag a hose through the RV anymore to flush it. After a few calls to Keystone and Travel Star asking them if this is possible, they didn’t think that could happen either. I did this to have some kind of knowledge before I might have to do battle of words. I did find out that many repairs can be done to these tanks without having to buy another its ABS black pipe material and can be glued back together or resealed by some company that do this kind of work, which is what Mike Thompson did sent it out. Well it’s in and it works and no leaks. Finally…………………………..
This was a stressful couple of weeks and I have learned a lot about our holding tanks. If I ever have another rupture I’ll buy the tank myself for $185.00 plus shipping and install it myself, It’s really not that much work after you get your hands dirty. I now know why some tanks are reinstalled with flexible hoses, is less work and less chance for error in the plumbing fixtures.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Very glad you reached a conclusion after way too many problems on the repair side.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
So Don are you saying they sent the new tank out and had it repaired? If so did they use some sort of a glue or a welding method?
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jolu

So Don are you saying they sent the new tank out and had it repaired? If so did they use some sort of a glue or a welding method?
Joe
Hi Joe the tank was sent to a place that repairs ABS tanks, so I was told. he had all the seams weldedby this company, the glue that can be used is the stuff sold at your builders supplies ABS pipe glue.
Bingo you and me both on completion.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Don would Travel Star sell any one a tank or do you have to go through a dealer?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Don watch the new tank. I have welded abs pipe we installed systems in plants for exhaust. the problem is if it vibrates it will sometimes crack at the new weld. now if they covered it with abs glue the glue will melt into the tank and hold good. when I repaired my last tank it was leaking at the fitting that hooks the inlet pipe to the tank and I reworked it with the abs glue and it is still fine after 3 yrs. JMHO Just something to watch. good luck and glad you got it fixed. also you are right they wanted Aprox 1200$ to replace mine not that bad of a job once you see how they are installed.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Don,
You said you could do the install yourself. Could I persuade you to jot down some of the specifics that you learned? We could all surely benefit from your experience.
Glad it's all back together and working for you properly!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Illini Trekker

Don would Travel Star sell any one a tank or do you have to go through a dealer?
I dont know Dennis if Travel Star will sell you one a call would answer that at # 1-574-533-0447, Tony is VP of the company. I do know I can get one through the dealer plus postage but you better make sure you order the right tank or postage will kill your savings.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Don
Glad our buddy Mike Thompson finally came through for you.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Travel star can sell only through a dealer or repair facility. we watched the tanks being made and tested at travel Star in September 2010. Dealers tend to get that angle in the pipe going down to the entrance hole incorrect and it will leak or the incorrect seal. the repair facility in Goshen that replaced our tanks frabicated their own pipe and angle and their choice of seal. Thay have installed many, many tanks and knew better.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Travel star can sell only through a dealer or repair facility. we watched the tanks being made and tested at travel Star in September 2010. Dealers tend to get that angle in the pipe going down to the entrance hole incorrect and it will leak or the incorrect seal. the repair facility in Goshen that replaced our tanks frabicated their own pipe and angle and their choice of seal. Thay have installed many, many tanks and knew better.
Thats what I believe has happened to my installation Rich. when they transfer the 3 inch waist and 1 1/5" vent, 3/4 of an inch in the wrong direction causing a bind on the glued fittings to the holes in the basement floor. travel star mentioned that Mike Thompson RV probably installed it wrong and did not have the experance replacing the tank, I tend to agree with there comment.