Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2009, 01:48 AM   #1
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Grand Canyon

We will be planning a trip to the Grand Canyon in april 2010. Any suggestions for a nice site to camp with a nice view of the Canyon

Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:39 AM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
We stayed in Williams Az and took the train for a day trip to the Canyon. Train trip was great. We decided to splurge and went 1st class in a '40's parlor car. A great time. I believe it was the Grand Canyon Railway. There was a nice RV park right at the train depot.

The package included a guided bus tour. Driver and tour was outstanding. We did look into a few spots for camping in the park but we didn't follow up on them.

Williams is on the old Route 66. We had planned on spending a few days there to check it out....only needed a few hours! Nice town, though....
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:47 AM   #3
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Freeda II

We will be planning a trip to the Grand Canyon in April 2010. Any suggestions for a nice site to camp with a nice view of the Canyon
I am afraid that there aren't any camp sites with a "view of the Canyon". There is an RV campground in the park and I am sure that someone who has stayed there will come along and give you information about it.

Just a note that the south rim is about 7500 feet in elevation and can be cold or snowy in April. We were there for a day trip from Flagstaff in April 2008 and it was very cold.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
We were there for a day trip in Mid March and was in shirt sleeves. The weather changes alot in the Canyon area but 4 to 5 day forecast seemed to be pretty accurate.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
We have been to the Grand Canyon twice in the past 3 years. The first time in late May. We stayed in Williams at the campground that sets up the train trips to the Canyon. Had a great deal for the trip and camp space. We also has 4 inches of snow. It did not last very long but was interesting. The next day we drove into the Canyon area so we could spend more time seeing what we wanted.

This past early June we went back and stayed at a KOA on the road going to the Canyon North of Williams. About a 50 mile drive to the Canyon. The first day we were in short sleeve shirts and the second day we had heavy coats on.

I am not aware of any campgrounds reasonably close to the Canyon. There is at least one just outside of the park entrance but have no information about its facilities and condition.

I am sure you will enjoy the trip. You can spend several days there and see the Canyon in many different moods.

Have a good trip.

Dean Nelson
DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Stay in Williams, AZ at Canyon Gateway RV Park. It's a Passport America Park. Then take the Marvelous Marv guided tour. Cost for the tour is $85 per person but you go there in a 12-passenger van and the entire tour is narrated by Marv. He took us places along the rim where most people don't go. Scenery was magnificent this past April.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Freeda II,
A couple of years ago we stayed at the CG in the Grand Canyon Park in the middle of April. The CG is a basic CG with full hookups. It is just dirt with some trees. It is located just a couple of blocks from the Canyon. You will need reservations even at this time of year.

It was warm during the day until the wind started blowing. It got down as low as 11 degrees one night. The outside water hose froze solid and since it was in the morning shade it was about noon before we had outside water. We just used the tank water until then. I believe most of the sites were pull thrus.

You can easily walk to the main stores etc. in the area. Of course there is a great trail going down into the Canyon and a very nice one that goes along the top of the Canyon. There is also a bus that comes right to the entrance of the RV park. I think it is a free shuttle to and from the main area. We did not ride it since I need to use a handicap cart.

I do not remember the park name but it is the only commercial park at the Canyon. There is also a National Park CG but I know nothing about it. It is right next to the RV Park. Of course I'm talking about the South Rim. The North Rim does not open until the middle of May depending on the snow.

We enjoyed it and would stay there again. You spend so much time out looking at nature that you only use the CG for a convenient place to stay and take care of your basic needs.

Be prepared for cold weather and perhaps some slightly warm. You just never know.

Enjoy your trip.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
TekeAngel

M.O.C. #9512
We stayed in Trailer Village located in the Grand Canyon. You can take a bus almost any where you want to go. Here is the link to there web site. http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/lodging-705.html
Hope this helps.
TekeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:47 AM   #9
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Thank you everyone for all of this good information. I thing we now have as good handle on where to stay in the GC
Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote