Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2005, 04:48 AM   #1
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Wilma is a Cat 5!!!

Here we go again! As of now we are on the edge of the cone but that could change.

lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 06:20 AM   #2
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
I'll stay in the NW. I lived through a couple of hurricanes growing up in Mass. No thanks! Hope this one is not as bad as currently predicted and everyone gets out of the way in time.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:12 AM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Tom-
Last time around with Rita we had the bulls-eye drawn on our back and it turned away and we dodged the bullet. Hope that you can be as lucky with Wilma and miss the worst of it. On a local channel this morning they were talking about the storm getting caught up in the front that is coming down and creating wind shear aloft and reducing it to a Cat. 2 by landfall with winds in the 105 MPH class, not as bad as Katrina and Rita but still a serious hurricane. We will be praying for you, it has really been a bad year for the Gulf Coast of the US.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:54 AM   #4
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Lightningjack11,

Here we go again is right! I'm sitting here in Southern Brevard county, just south of Melbourne definitely in the "Cone of Uncertainty". I'm am not looking forward to this experience at all. I wish I could just walk away from my Job and get out of here. But then again after last year it's hard to say where to go and not end up right in it's path.

It does look like it will be fast storm, like Charley, and not linger around for a day. I have a feeling when this finally takes aim for land we are going to have areas of mass evacuation.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:43 AM   #5
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Thanks for the comments gang. We never really know which way these things are going. I am just north of Tampa so hopefully we will be spared but it is anybodys guess. Anyway my tanks are full and Monty is ready to go if we have to.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:41 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Well we are hanging out up here at Salt Springs. On Friday we have an appointment at Tri-Am just north of Ocala but will be heading right back to Salt Springs unless Wilma decides to head further north. I knew I should have stayed in Pigeon Forge til the end of the month.

Tom and Betty, Depending on Wilma's disposition, we plan on staying a week or so at Ja-Mar in Port Richey. Maybe we can get together for lunch or something.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 02:34 PM   #7
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Glen,

Absolutely! We will be going to PA for about 1 week starting on approx the 6th of Nov. (not a camping trip) Other than that we will be here in the Spring Hill area. Port Richey is about 20 minutes from here.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:06 PM   #8
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
You folks don't linger too long and get caught up in an evacuation fiasco like the poor souls over in Houston with Rita.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:24 PM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
lightningjack11, will look you up while there.

Bill, you can bet if it looks the least bit like Wilma will head up here we will be long gone. Sure wish we had hung around Pigeon Forge a bit longer. Just found out that JoyceH just left there and you will be coming in soon and we wouldn't have to be concerned about Wilma.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:53 PM   #10
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of you, it makes the occasional early snow here in Colorado look like nothing in comparison. Good luck and God speed!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 04:55 PM   #11
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Take care all of you in Florida. If you are going to leave, leave soon, before the roads get jammed, and fuel get scarce. Friends of ours had to ride out Katrina because they left it too late to get away. Fortunately for them, they were on the fringes and were OK, but you can never be sure what a hurricane is going to do.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 04:58 PM   #12
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
God be with you all. Keep your tanks full and your Monty stocked. I have found that in a pinch we can just pick up and leave and we are out of here. That was when we were in Ca. for the earthquakes. But fortunately we never needed to make such a decision. Thank God. Had a few really moving experiences though....LOL
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 05:24 PM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Tom and Betty
We are watching and hope you get out if you need to. Be sure to take some extra fuel with you. Sounds like that was a big problem with others before. Our daughter is in Gulfport FL so I always get nervous when it is close. They were prepared well last year and then didn't need to leave so I assume they are prepared this year also. Be safe and God be with you.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:12 PM   #14
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Well we are hanging out up here at Salt Springs. On Friday we have an appointment at Tri-Am just north of Ocala but will be heading right back to Salt Springs unless Wilma decides to head further north. I knew I should have stayed in Pigeon Forge til the end of the month.

Tom and Betty, Depending on Wilma's disposition, we plan on staying a week or so at Ja-Mar in Port Richey. Maybe we can get together for lunch or something.
We introduced Glen and Loraine to tacos at the Salt Springs VFW.
Had a great time and a lot of good conversation.
Glen, good luck on the repair you are in good hands at Tri-Am

wa4bmg
wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 02:41 AM   #15
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
I made my reservation for Disney! No sites at Ft Wilderness left, so had to take POP Century. I'll just park LadyRam and Miss Montana in the lot and watch the wind from the room, if it comes to that. Just like I did for Jeanne. I may not have to use it, but it's there if I need it.

I had a great time at the Food and Wine Festival last week, looks like I may be going back for more!

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 02:54 AM   #16
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Florida has a pretty good plan. Maps are all laid out on who should evacuate and who should not depending on storm strength. All of this is on the web and pre-planned. Florida does not want to evacuate everybody when a storm hits, if fact they recommend that if your high and dry stay put if your not in a trailer home. They want to keep the roads clear for people that really have to leave their home. (ie low sea level type homes or trailers)

Spring Hill area is pretty high east of route 19 so we will stay for up to and including a 3. Last year two 3's were real close to us and we stayed. But if it is a 4 or 5 we plan on heading north. Monty is ready and tanks are filled. Keep plenty of gas stored for the home generator.

Old 10-20-2005, 03:31 AM   #17
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Gonna batten down the hatches today but don't think it will be as bad as last year. I'll be on duty so we'll see what we get when we get it.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 04:24 AM   #18
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Good luck Fla native and jsmitfl. Looks like we have a good chance of being in the clear on this one. We will know soon.

Got to get back to Ft Wilderness.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:07 PM   #19
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Still sitting in Salt Springs. Forecast is Wilma will stay in south Fla and all we will be getting is.....

Tonight
Widespread rain and isolated thunderstorms. Becoming very windy. Rain may be heavy at times. Lows in the mid 60s. North winds 10 to 15 mph increasing to 20 to 30 mph after midnight. Chance of rain 90 percent.

Monday
Widespread rain and isolated thunderstorms in the morning...then partly cloudy with showers likely in the afternoon. Strong winds. Rain may be heavy at times in the morning. Highs around 70. North winds 35 to 45 mph....diminishing to 20 to 30 mph by late afternoon. Chance of rain 90 percent.

Hopefully the forecasters will have it right but just in case I installed a second fuel tank. I now have 2 tanks containing about 50 gallons of diesel.

Old 10-23-2005, 03:18 PM   #20
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Glenn and Lorraine,
Stay safe. I cringe every time I hear about another storm in that area. All you folks down in that part of the world please stay as safe as you possibly can. Remember those Montanas do have wheels!

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote