Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2005, 03:32 AM   #1
Chad Brooks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3899
Send a message via AIM to Chad Brooks
Glassed in screen door

I met a guy this summer that had a glass door on his RV! Acutally, it was just pelxiglass, but it was a really neat setup. Basically, he just pulled his screen door off and sheeted it with a piece of Plexi. Ofcourse, you wil lose the use of the screen door, but I rarely use mine anyway. I think I would use it alot more if it was covered. Anyone else done this? Pro's?? Con's??

Chad Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 03:51 AM   #2
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I put one on last winter, it sure is nice to leave the door open makes it less cooped up and then when weather is nice remove it and store I made mine in two sections
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:09 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quite a few people have done this, including us. Usually you can just install removable panels so that you can use the screen if desired, and you don't have to travel with the extra weight of the plastic haning on the door hinges. (I prefer Lexan polycabonate over plexiglas, but both will work).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 05:48 AM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
The question I have to ask is why would you put plexie glass in a screen door and cut off to air flow, the screen door construction wasn't desined for the aditional weight of the plastic, support straps or rods should be incorperated on the frame work to prevent sagging. I think if I had a dog that was an agressive door jumper it would help the lower part from being destroied. but I bet it looks very nice though, has anybody forgot and walked into it, thinking it was open?
Old 09-28-2005, 05:57 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I want one, for those days when I need to run heat or air, but the sun is great, and the skies are blue. It will help with the closed up feeling. OntMont's is made so you can take it off quite easily, and so on those days when a breeze is desired, off it comes. I have been kinda paying attention, and there are more days when I could use the storm door and enjoy looking out than there are days when I open the door for air. I can always open other windows, etc for air. As for walking through, don't think this would be a problem, after years of camping, we know we need to open that screen door, the frame will still catch your attention.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 01:52 PM   #6
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Just finished installing lexan in the door today. We have been wanting to do this everysince we saw it at last years rally. After this years Great Lakes Regional Rally, I decided to get-r-done as soon as I had time. The lexan is only .080 thick and doesn't weigh all that much. This makes it nice to have the door open and be able to use the heat or air. As far as ventalation is concerned, there is plenty windows to open if we need to.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 03:19 PM   #7
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

Just finished installing lexan in the door today. We have been wanting to do this everysince we saw it at last years rally. After this years Great Lakes Regional Rally, I decided to get-r-done as soon as I had time. The lexan is only .080 thick and doesn't weigh all that much. This makes it nice to have the door open and be able to use the heat or air. As far as ventalation is concerned, there is plenty windows to open if we need to.
Did you make yours in separtate panels or just one big one? We have the material to make a 3 panel version after having a single piece of lexan crack in to 2 pieces. I will be using screen clips to hold the panels on the door frame. All material was purchased at Lowes.
Thanks

Wa4bmg
wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 05:06 AM   #8
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Chad
I think everyone has pretty well summed it up. Plexiglass or Lex on will work. We used 1/8 inch Plexiglass cut in three pieces. I used 1/8 inch mirror supports found at Home Depot to secure them to the screen. The two larger top and bottom are mounted inside while the center smaller one is outside so the door latch cover can slide. Ours have been on our 2003 Montana and now on our 2005. We leave the door open most of the time with the A/c and/or heater on. The windows offer plenty of ventilation.
Ken and Velda
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475 Montana
2005 2500HD GMC Crew cab Duramax with edge attitude
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:44 AM   #9
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Have done this with lexan for years on all our campers. Even found that we never used the screen portion so on the Monty I took the screen mesh completely out of mine. We leave it open all the time while camping and not gone anywhere. Gives you more open feeling.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote