Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2005, 02:24 AM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Stereo Revisited

For those of you who have followed the Quest stereo saga, here is another update. Many have replaced the unit with a Sony or similar all in one unit. We went with a Yamaha stereo receiver, hoping to at least use the crummy little built in speakers. Unfortunately, the crummy little speakers performed even worse with a better stereo. I then had a dilemma finding small speakers to build into the entertainment center on the 3400. The smallest 100 watt per channel speakers I could find were Cambridge MC050's from Fry's electronics. No one else it seems (except Bose) sells a reasonably priced small speaker. These ran about $40 each. So, we now have everything complete, except could still use a powered subwoofer. That way we can hear the stereo when we're in the shower - a half mile away.

Also replaced the thin mattress in the sofa sleeper with an inner spring mattress. I'm sure guests will appreciate the difference.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:43 AM   #2
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We still use the Quest since it works and sounds pretty good. We will not replace it until it does not work.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:00 AM   #3
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
...speaking of stereo problems. Our KLH works fine. Now, ready for the "but"...? But the funky plastic ceiling mounts are worse than cheap. Can't find a reasonably priced replacement part anywhere. Radio Shack has one that is close---made of metal for $31 bucks & change EACH. I'm tired of going into the Montana Dealership's Parts Department (oxymoron)only to be told "we'll order it---probably four weeks or longer". It did not take 4 weeks from the time I ordered the new truck until it arrived....!
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 11:20 AM   #4
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Same as toolmanroy. No problems yet.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 02:00 PM   #5
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I am ready to dump our Quest too. I want to know more about the inner spring mattress that fits the sofa. Where do you find one that will fold up into the sofa????
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:58 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I promised someone I would tell what model our Sony DVD Home Theatre System is. It is DAV-DX150. It is 800 watts which is too much for the speakers if you play it full blast. That was our kids. LOL
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:31 PM   #7
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
Circuit City has nice speaker mounts for the rear, thats where I got the ones for the Sony speakers whihc I upgraded to with the new system. Also, it is not that hard to enlarge the holes in the entertainment center to accomodate larger speakers.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 06:01 AM   #8
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Kathy: Do a search *upper right hand corner of this page* for
"replacement hide-a-bed mattress" and there is information on where we ordered ours. It was VERY inexpensive, and is a genuine replacement coil spring mattress for hide-a-beds.

FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 06:07 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Ed
I'm sure it isn't but on our unit we would have to take out the fireplace and then the TV to get to the speakers. If they go bad, we will but for now sounds okay. We are going to replace rear speakers. Our Sony came with a middle speaker that is rectangle and a different size than the others.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 02:13 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Asked the dealer today If I could order a unit with all the wireing but no speakers or radio.He said he has never tried but does not think Montana would do it..I will ask that question when we tour the plant..I think I know the answer.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 06:50 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Has Keystone upgraded the stereo for 2006? I had the dealership replace the 04 qwest with a new 05 one under warranty and this thing is worse than the 04. I thought I had read somewhere that Keystone put a much better quality unit in for 06. Would like to know before I go back to the dealership to see. Thanks
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:44 AM   #12
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
THE HISS IS GONE!!!!!!

As several members on the forum have posted at one time or another some problem or unhappiness with the Quest DVD/CD system, I also bought a Monty with a system that was unacceptable. There was a hiss in the speakers on the sofa/dining slide. Along with a few other items I carried the RV back to the dealer for attention several weeks back. The Quest system was one of the problems and the tech said "DVD player is bad, we will have to order a replacement." In order to avoid pulling the Monty a 120 mile round trip back to the dealer he agreed to let me remove the player when the replacement arrrived.

Yesterday I pulled the DVD player out of the Monty and carefully noted placement for each wire and labeled it with a felt tip marker on an attached piece of masking tape, carried it to the dealer and exchanged players. This morning I installed the new one exactly as I had taken the old one out and when powered up the same exact hiss was present as before.

What I am about to say does not imply that all the systems are wired the same as mine, but what I did worked for me. I exchanged locations for the wires on the back of the player with the L&R front speakers and the L&R speakers on the slide. The hiss is gone and now I have all six speakers working constantly in Surround Sound where as before the slide speakers would only work on occasion. This is the first DVD system that I have worked with so I did not know how the system should sound, but I am truely impressed with mine now.

A music CD plays only through the speakers on the slide. For those interested, it is possible to create a single MP3 CD that will play 400-420 songs, a great way for the full-timers to conserve space.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 12:51 PM   #13
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
Found reasonably priced satellite speaker mounts at K-Mart. My Quest unit has been "junked" and I put in my Yamaha amp and a Sony DVD player and a separate VHS player from home. Don't like combo units because if DVD player or tape player go out, then you have to remove combo unit for repair/replacement instead of just one of the units (DVD or VHS). Now have to replace speakers because Quest ones couldn't take Yamaha's power. Also, Yamaha amp requires a powered subwoofer and I don't have a plug where sub is located. SOOOOOO my options now are to buy a Sony amp (600 watts) or a Pioneer amp (1000 watts) each w/speakers (subwoofer is NOT powered) to replace Quest unit and speakers. Both run under $200.00 - Sony from Fry's Electronics and Pioneer from Wally-World. Oh, the choices!!

Bruce
Montana_2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:43 AM   #14
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
I had the KLH 9000 I was not happy with it, it had no simulated surround sound and the tv was not connected to the systems speakers.I replaced it with a new reciever and DVD/CD changer and also a new amp to drive the woofer I kept the speakers and had to replace 2 brackets and as Thomas said $30. each at the Shack.
I like the new system all speakers work with the tv, reciever, dvd/cd. As some might remember I am a Chief Engineer and after years of Diesel Engine noise I need all the help I can get.
Just another thought
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote