Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2004, 03:16 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Basement "Ceiling"?

Underneath the upstairs flooring and in the upper portion of the basement, piping and wiring abides. Has anyone thought about or tried putting a "ceiling" in the basement to prevent accidental or damaging contact with this gear?

I haven't really looked it over to determine how it might be attached or whether it is truly feasible. If it were feasible with some durable but very light weight material, additional r-factor material might be included to further insulate.

I probably just have too much time to think.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 03:26 PM   #2
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
You could attach a thin luan panel with ordinary dry wall screws. They penetrate the aluminum floor joists just fine...... but adding R value there would encourage frost in your basement.

Your front compartment is open to the outside air to vent fumes, the floor above has no insulation at all. If you want bang for the buck... that would be the place....but I haven't figured out how yet.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 06:06 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
So you think insulation should go beneath the basement floor? Hmmmm... I know that air tight is not good. These things need to breathe. Need more lookin' an' thinkin'.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:07 AM   #4
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I'm not thinking about a cieling but I will be replacing the flex duct with ridgid pipe before we go out again. I always thought it looked vulnerable and it is. Once torn, it is difficult to repair and make it look good.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:04 AM   #5
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I have been looking at puting the 1/2 in ridged fiberglass sheeting in the cargo holes under the closet on the floor and the inside wall and leaving the outside wall the way it is and the same in the front ehere the stair go up to the living room.sorta in a L shape.
and replaceing the heat vent with a inlulated hard one this make any sence?
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote