Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2004, 12:03 PM   #1
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Halloween fun

The grandkids are starting to think about their Halloween costumes and what they will be for the "big night". Depending on ages (and gender of course), they want to be cute scarey funny or pretty. While we were talking about costumes the oldest asked if I had ever done any really funny "tricks" when I was a kid. I must have been a REALLY boring *** because I really didn't have any good ones of my own to share. BUT I did have a few from my father's day that were fun and worth telling about. One Halloween (this would be back in the 1920's) he and his friends got the neighborhood worry wart good. They took a huge long piece of rope and tied all the door knobs on the house shut. Then they rang all the doorbells at once and ran. Five minutes later they came back and did it again. That was pretty tame. The next year they borrowed his herd of goats, shepherded them down to town and then put two long boards up onto the grocery store's flat roof. Goats did just what they should--climbed right on up. Boards were removed leaving 27 goats to greet everyone from the rooftops next morning. The kids were amused and I enjoyed sharing some good laughs from their great granddad with them. Our plans for this year will be to spend Halloween in our church parking lot. We hold a "Trunk or Treat" party for the neighborhood kids. Right now the part of town where the church is located is suffering some serious economic stresses and trick or treating is not something a lot of the neighbors can afford. So church members bring their cars and lots of candy, open up the trunks and the kids "trunk or treat" in our huge parking lot. We have refreshments inside for kids and parents and lots of games and prizes. It's a ton of fun for the kids and we have a great time as well. Any other Halloween stories or plans to share out there?

Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 01:34 PM   #2
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Considering how unsafe the streets are anymore, I like anything that gets the children in one spot with adult supervision and off the streets. My daughter's elementary school used to have a carnival every year at Halloween and there was food, games, and prizes, all donated. Our church tried a harvest festival to get away from the idea of Halloween altogether. Our daughter does not allow her children to participate in Halloween, but they are by no means deprived. They each have a costume box full of fun costumes to dress up in at any time. They are homeschooled and don't know the difference.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 06:59 PM   #3
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the neat posts. Halloween can be fun if you plan it right. Keep us posted. Happy halloween and happyrving......
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 04:08 AM   #4
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
I have a twin sister and we were hellions in our day. LOL A group of kids and I have done some pretty bad stuff which included stealing a scarecrow out of a yard, throwing a rope around it's neck and throwing it off a train bridge which just happened to be going over the local highway so it looked like someone was hanging from the bridge. Lots of screeching tires, horns honking and stuff like that. No one was hurt or anything like that just scared people I think. We were chased by the cops but no one was caught. Crouch behind a bush with a rope and shoes tied to it and when a car comes you pull the rope so it looks like the shoes are crossing the street, just stuff like that. One halloween a bunch of guys from the football team went around and gathered up as many pumpkins as they could and dumped them in our yard. I mean we must have had over 100 of them in our yard, some of them still had candles burning..... Just juvenile stuff.

We live in a nice neighborhood that is all cul-de-sacs so my kids go out trick or treating in our neighborhood only. I know a lot of the families so I feel confident and safe. They never go out w/out an adult though, too many wack-os out there.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 11:28 AM   #5
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
In my early grade school days (late 30's)one of the batchelors that lived on a farm near us still drove a horse & buggy. One halloween night some of the older kids took his buggy to the country school we went to, took it apart, put it on the roof, and reassembled it. Kinda irritated him!!
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 01:41 PM   #6
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
WHO! ME! I never never pulled a prank on anyone!
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 07:27 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
About the worst I was ever involved in was outhouse tipping. And one year we drove around with car spotlight and an old WWII handcrank siren, waking up all the early-to-bed farmers in the area. One blasted a shotgun in the air over us but that was enough to scare us. We saw flashing red lights coming our direction but our driver got us back to town safely.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote