Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
kipandbob
Established Member

M.O.C. #9500
Destined for New England

Hi, all,

My wife & I are leaving CA (at last!) at month's end. First stop is Rapid City for 1-2 days. Then, we're off to Bar Harbor, ME. According to the route planner I used (Google), the bulk of the 2,200 miles out of RC is on I-80/90.

I'll be towing our 3455SA on this excursion. Is there anything you've experienced that I should be aware of more than any other route? Any other route suggestions?

There appear to be quite a few toll roads from Illinois on east. I had Google avoid those and it took me DIRECTLY across Lake Michigan! I guess there'd be no toll but we'd surely get wet!

Thanks,
-Bob

kipandbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:38 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Bob,
You don't really give a route..... At least I don't see one. And are you going to drive from CA to RC SD without overnighting?

You really should try to avoid the "wet" route that your Google thing showed you. When we went to Goshen for the first MOC Rally we went up thru Minnesota and Wisconsin and into Michigan using the 'northern' route and I do not recall any toll roads. We dropped south at the Macinaw bridge. Never did see a toll road. But I know they are out there.

Maybe go on up into Canada and go east until you're about even with Bar Harbor ME then head south. I don't think there are any toll roads in that area and you'll see some beautiful country.

Good luck and keep us updated on your travels.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:02 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Your route planner found the ferry that goes across Lake Michigan. Maybe there's a way to turn off "ferries" besides turning off "toll roads" to find land routes. It will probably pick the route mentioned by HamRad.

If traveling across the U.S. and using Interstates and you are satisfied with going through the mountains to get to Rapid City, the routes East from there will be a lot flatter than what you just went through and easy enough for an RVer.

HamRad has some good points for enroute stops since you WILL be stopping on the way to RC and Maine. Overnighting at places like truck stops and Walmarts are permitted after checking in with their management. Truck Stops might even allow showers, but my wife would only use one if it was clean and I was guarding the door.

Of course, there are plenty of CGs on the way at higher costs or you can sign up for Passport America or other CG discounter to lower the overnight cost usually to half price! The membership fee can easily be recouped on a trip like this. But consider that the discounters have many limitations including site availability. The discounters help CGs sell sites that otherwise they could not fill (low traffic, low season, etc.) so not every CG may have something. A call ahead of these places should help.

Hopefully, others can come along and suggest other RV-friendly chains that allow overnighting and other route recommendations.

If traveling through Canada I believe passports are now required so don't forget them.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
kipandbob
Established Member

M.O.C. #9500
Folks,

A question related to my earlier query 'bout getting to New England: has any of you made the trip west from the Bangor, ME area along US rte 2 into NH (Gorham)? It looks pretty curvy on the map; I'm wondering about the advisability of hauling a Montana on that route. Might be smarter to take I-95/295 to Portsmouth area and head north from there. Thoughts?

Many thanks,
-Bob
kipandbob is offline   Reply With Quote