Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
And We're glad we did!

Hello All...,many thanks for the all the well wishes on our previous topic (we did it!). We just completed our week in the rental motor home with our two furrie kids.....and it just confirmed that our decision on buying the Big Sky was the right one. We signed the papers last Friday on our way to Lake Champlain Vermont.....the kids were absolutely wonderful, took to camping life very well. They weren't crazy about the ride in the motor home...it was very noisy and bouncy.....took them awhile to settle down....but they were truely great in campgrounds...no barking....loved going on walks and meeting so many great people. It really was a good time....the motor home (a 31 ft Four Winds, Chateau Sport) was bit small with two 50lb dogs...constantly walking over or around them...but we managed and now we can't wait to use our 5er.

So with our Big Sky needing a place to sit, tomorrow we are going to check out a campground where we can use her the rest of the season and have it as home base til we get to our retirement age......at first we were trying for early retirement next year but after careful evaluation of the financials looks like we're going to have to wait til 2011. That really isn't a bad thing...we get used to our rig and do the things we want to get her ready for full timing, so we are just going to smile every weekend we get away!

Once again, thanks for all your well wishes...it's now official we are Montana Owners, 2008 Big Sky 340 RLQ and glad to be here!
I'm sure we're going to have many questions....I just love this website, I have learned many things cruising around the topics and will probably learn many more.

By the way, not sure I ever really introduced us....We are Betty and Paul Bahlin, we live in Western Massachusetts (for the moment, eh?) with our two Soft Coated Wheaton Terriers, Boyd and Kelly. I work as a Sales Account Rep and Paul teaches 7th grad Math in an inner-city school (career changer).

pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Well Betty it looks like you, Paul, Boyd and Kelly got it all worked out. I know that you all are going love that Big Sky and more importantly the Fulltiming lifestyle.

There are many of us Fulltimers on here that will be only to happy helping you to get ready.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
rware
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6849
Congrats on your new rig. We also have a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier "Clancy". But he's only 30lbs. We know he's on the small side, but 50lbs??? I'm very curious if they are purebred? Love to see pictures. Enjoy your travels. Shelley Ware
rware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Shelley:

Thanks for the well wishes.....and our Wheatons are indeed purebred, Boyd is 8 yrs old and is on the high end of the Wheaton range....he's taller and weighs 50lbs....Kelly is on the short end of the range and heavier at 58lbs.....she's on a diet....but the Vet says Boyd is in great condition. They are the best.....such great companions and good too! Who knows perhaps we'll get to meet each other's fur friends someday!

Betty
Old 08-14-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Good choice of rigs for full timing. We have been in the 340 RLQ for two years now. It is warm, cosy, and roomy enough to not feel cramped. We don't try to keep ours show room straight all the time, but keeping "picked up" sure makes living easier. Dianna likes to turn on the fire place to knock the chill off the room. It is nice just to vegetate in front of it and watch to flames wriggle.

Even though we full time, we haven't crammed all our storage full. I guess for us, clothing storage is the biggest challenge. As long as we were doing seasonal traveling, it was not a problem. We would just off load winter clothes in summer and summer clothes in winter. But now since we will be in Washington for a year or so, we need both and that will be crowded.

As a full time rig, I would have to say that we are very satisfied with the 340 RLQ.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Congratulations on your new Big Sky. I'm sure you will be very happy with it and have many happy times in it.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:39 AM   #7
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
There is lots of help here from fulltimers. Make sure you avail yourself of their expertise, it sure will make life simpler for you; that is what retirement is all about!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We've been fulltiming in our 2008 340RL Big Sky for about 4 months now and just love it. We hope you enjoy yours as much. Oh, and welcome to the MOC!!

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Welcome!

I'm sure, with the economy the way it is, you are not the only people to delay retirement. I retired in 2002 and went back to work in 2006. So it goes--but I'm hoping to retire again at the end of this school year (June 2010). Forty+ years of teaching English is about my limit!

Again, welcome!
Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:05 PM   #10
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

It sounds like you all have gotten a very nice unit, congratulations!
Wish you the best and many years of good happy camping.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:35 AM   #11
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Betty and Paul,

Our best to you both on the new BigSky. We are happily envious of you. Lake Champlain is a great place to visit. My uncle for years had a camp there and as kids we'd travel from Barre VT to spend summer days there. Western Mass is great too, with some relatives from Pittsfield area.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #12
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Thank you all for your well wishes and great welcome.....

We took delivery of our Big Sky last Thursday and she is safely parked in Hinsdale New Hampshire....we spent the weekend there getting her set up and learning all about her. What a great home!!! The rainy weather didn't put a damper on our fun......we organized all the manuals in a notebook....(read that here! great idea....)brought some basic stuff to get set up...lined the cabinets and drawers with skidproof liners, walked the furry kids.....met the campground staff and had a relaxing weekend. Can't wait to do it again this weekend!

thanks again...Betty
Old 08-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #13
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Betty and Paul, Love our 3400rl floor plan. It was the island that did it for Nancy, Also weclome to the forum, You'll find it's worth it, if all you do is check out simonsrf's (Robbie and Alice) post(they allways the coolest pic's).

Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote