Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2003, 02:47 PM   #1
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Update! My "grounding" problem

I'm posting this for those of you who may be interested in how this "shocking situtation" is going.

Tech was here today. Two things are going on. Number one is I have a bad converter which is sending out too many volts. When he stopped testing it was up to 14. This is why I have to top off my battery so often.

This is also the same converter that the dealer "checked out" recently and told me it was fine. So a new converter has been ordered.

The other problem is all the grounds check out and the tech cannot figure out why I am getting the shock, but it is has been isolated to be coming off the converter. But he says even with the high volts I should still be getting a ground.

So...he had to leave and do a little research on that.

Not knowing much about it, I asked him if the hose leak from my hot water heater could have caused a problem with the converter or the wiring in general. It happened a 4am the night I was set to leave the dealership on my maiden voyage. It spewed out quite a bit of water behind the converter until I was able to wake up, get my bearings, and run out to turn of the water. He said, "It's possible but no way of really knowing".

I also told them I wanted a new battery as it is obvious that the one I have has been boiling over. I also told them that I'm am not going to be the one to haul it in for a replacement this time. I did that 6 months ago and I don't think Interstate is going to keep replacing battery's for me for free.

I have had four technicians out to my site since August, for other things, and one trip to the dealer. I brought up the converter/battery issue each time and was told, "Everything checks out fine and you probably have a bad battery". Which is why I replaced the first one.

The good news is we're getting there. I'm also learning a bunch of new stuff about my electrical, converter, battery, grounding. hot wire, ground, wire neutral wire.

So in the meantime I guess I'll put a sign on my entry door. (A BIG sign!) I worry that one of the neighbor kids will come up from the pool in their barefeet and knock on my door.

Still wearing rubber shoes in Florida....

2002 2880RL (Miss Montana) towed by 2001 Dodge diesel 3500 (LadyRam)

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote