Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2019, 01:34 PM   #1
jstadler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19913
Montana Roof issues

I have a 2017 40' fifth wheel Montana. I noticed this fall that the membrane at the first near the sides of the cap is not sticking to the substrate. Is this normal small area. Is this covered under the 10 year warranty by Montana?

Thanks,

John

jstadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:19 PM   #2
Flying Dutchman
Established Member

M.O.C. #25148
Mine is a 2014 and am having two issues unrelated to each other. One is delamination of the roof membrane right behind the front cap. The second is staples along both sides of the unit underneath the roof membrane are popping out and creating holes in the membrane. The staples function as a fastener for the aluminum corners that follow both top sides of the rig front to back. I too wonder if it is covered by the 10 yr warranty.
Flying Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:30 AM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Keystone doesn't provide any more than a one year warranty, the rubber and/Or tpo roof materials are covered by the material manufacturer. Staples working out of the roof is an issue that has been discussed many times on the forum. I do not remember keystone ever covering this manufacturing related defect. Membrane coming loose at various spots is also an old issue. Neither is caused by the rubber roof, but by the factory. Usually, the only place loose roofing material is an issue is if the front cap/roofing material joint is defective and allows air to enter there to inflate the roofing material during travel. I have seen this several times on rigs on the freeways. You can try to have your issues covered by keystone, but don't believe you will get any satisfaction.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:02 AM   #4
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
The best way is to get to a keystone authorized service center to document and submit to Keystone. Good luck.

https://www.keystonerv.com/warranty/
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:56 AM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I learned a lot about the roof membrane by watching some of the factory tour videos. There are some available on the Keystone website and there is an excellent video from a recent thread on this forum posted by HomewiththeHoopers called “factory tour actual video”. Try searching (since I do not know how to paste a link on my iPad).;

As stated above - your membrane has likely NOT failed, but the installation glue has given up and is no longer holding the membrane to the plywood deck...so the warranty on the “glue” was 1 year from Keystone.

I don’t think there is a way to get fresh glue injected under the membrane so it will stick down. Well - maybe there is but I don’t have that sort of equipment in my garage! Maybe someone in this group will have suggestions for the next best remedy. I am curious also.

I have seen many RVs driving down the road with a bubble puffing up the roof membrane. This looks like it puts a lot of stress and pull on the membrane, and I am guessing will lead to the membrane coming loose from the front anchor points. If it happened to me I have some ideas what I might do to re-attach/re-glue and anchor it down again - but someone here will have better advice for you short of giving up and searching for a new roof.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:58 PM   #6
jstadler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19913
Roof

HI I found out that the only thing covered is the membrane, not the installation or other things like damage you may do. So the warranty is largely useless. Sad when you spend so much money.
jstadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:18 AM   #7
Flying Dutchman
Established Member

M.O.C. #25148
Thank you for your reply. I’m having an independent dealer make the repairs. They told me it’ll cost about $1,000. They’ll peel back the edges, replace all staples With screws, lay a fiberglass tape over the screws and put it all back better than new. I’m surprised Keystone didn’t anticipate this problem. Anyway, we are very happy with our Montana and will just keep fixing things as needed. Keep on camping ����
Flying Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:48 AM   #8
Preston & Terri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14645
Our 2014 EPDM roof developed very bad wrinkles due to the front edge pulling loose and ballooning while traveling down the road. This effect also caused it to pull loose at the sides as well. My fix (2018) was 6" eternabond across the front until I could get to an RV FlexArmor facility to have the whole roof coated about 8 months later. As traveling fulltimers we felt the $6-7k investment was worth the peace of mind and preservation of our value. We wound up trading (not because of the roof) it on a 2020 and plan to do the same if anything ever happens to this TPO roof.

https://rvroof.com/
Retired FULLTIMERS that Travel & Work -- 2020 3931FB Legacy Edition -- OEM Sailun S637T's -- 2017 F350 DRW, 4.10 axle, 6.7L -- PullRite OE Puck Super-5th 25K hitch -- Dish Network w/ Winegard G2 automatic portable antenna -- 50A Surge Guard portable -- WiFi Ranger Elite -- Blue Streak -- YourBestAddress.com -- RVSA Certified Technician -- The UnBeetable Experience
Preston & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote